Getting a strange rattling/buzzing sound reflecting off of walls/cars around 4-5k rpm

eru000

It sounds like it's coming from the chain (only can be heard from the left of the bike). It's barely audible when driving in open air, but if I'm next a divider wall or a row of cars, the sound reflecting off is *very* loud. It only happens when the rear wheel is under load from the throttle being applied. It doesn't even need to be hard acceleration, just cruising (with the minimum throttle possible) makes the sound. As soon as you let off the throttle it goes away.

I got it up on the paddock stand the other day and let it spin in 6th gear. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the area of the front sprocket. My best guess is that the chain is rubbing against the plastic guard (like it's supposed to) but the fact that it's really loud is kind of annoying. I cleaned the chain pretty thoroughly yesterday with kerosene and re-waxed. Still there, but maybe a tad less loud (could just be environmental/coincidental). I'm pretty sure the chain tension is within spec, but it's possible the rear wheel is slightly out of alignment.

The other possibility is that it's coming from the clutch basket, since it's also audible when coasting with the clutch in (but it's more intermittent... like a 'chirp chirp chirp' as opposed to a constant buzzing)

Also, the 4-5k rpm figure is simply when it's noticeable. Below it's not there, but above it's most likely the exhaust sound is just covering it up...

Anyone else have this sound?

--
Zach

cxa0897

Pretty sure most of us have a 4-5k buzz of some degree. I have a slight rattle as well, but nothing overwhelmingly loud. It's been there since day 1, hasn't gotten better or worse after 9k miles.

eru000

Yeah, it seems like its normal, but it's just so loud I figured I'd ask here. When I picked it up from the dealership, it had a VERY bad rattle at the headlight below 3k. Simple fix was to duct tape the two plastic bits together so they didn't hit each other. Smooth as butter now...

eru000

Woody146

Banned
Yeah, it seems like its normal, but it's just so loud I figured I'd ask here. When I picked it up from the dealership, it had a VERY bad rattle at the headlight below 3k. Simple fix was to duct tape the two plastic bits together so they didn't hit each other. Smooth as butter now...

Uhhhh..sound like whoever put that bike together didn't torque it to spec....should not have rattle anywhere!!

Woody146

Banned
It sounds like it's coming from the chain (only can be heard from the left of the bike). It's barely audible when driving in open air, but if I'm next a divider wall or a row of cars, the sound reflecting off is *very* loud. It only happens when the rear wheel is under load from the throttle being applied. It doesn't even need to be hard acceleration, just cruising (with the minimum throttle possible) makes the sound. As soon as you let off the throttle it goes away.

I got it up on the paddock stand the other day and let it spin in 6th gear. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the area of the front sprocket. My best guess is that the chain is rubbing against the plastic guard (like it's supposed to) but the fact that it's really loud is kind of annoying. I cleaned the chain pretty thoroughly yesterday with kerosene and re-waxed. Still there, but maybe a tad less loud (could just be environmental/coincidental). I'm pretty sure the chain tension is within spec, but it's possible the rear wheel is slightly out of alignment.

The other possibility is that it's coming from the clutch basket, since it's also audible when coasting with the clutch in (but it's more intermittent... like a 'chirp chirp chirp' as opposed to a constant buzzing)

Also, the 4-5k rpm figure is simply when it's noticeable. Below it's not there, but above it's most likely the exhaust sound is just covering it up...

Anyone else have this sound?

--
Zach

All chain driving bikes make this sound...try riding around without a full face...the noise is horrendous..they are just noisy machines...cleaning your sprockets will never hurt tho!!

b-eock

You always wanna change the chain and sprockets together. If you don't. You'll cause premature wear of the new parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

eru000

You always wanna change the chain and sprockets together. If you don't. You'll cause premature wear of the new parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've always done this.

All chain driving bikes make this sound...try riding around without a full face...the noise is horrendous..they are just noisy machines...cleaning your sprockets will never hurt tho!!

I've only had one other chain driven bike before this one (my first bike was a shaftie), a '96 Ninja 250, and it didn't make the sound as loud as this one. I'm well aware of the normal chain sounds, but I guess I got a little concerned that it sounded so loud when reflected off surfaces beside me. It's probably normal, but I think I'll try to take off the chain and sprockets this weekend and really clean them. They don't look too worn yet, so I don't want to waste the money replacing them when it's not needed.