Gas gage not reading right

H

Hoover

Here is my plan. I am going to run it untill the fuel warning comes on, then, give my wife a gallon of gas in a can and tell her which way I am headed, then just ride untill it quits and wait for her to show up ;)

teemo

yamaha has a customer service division. if you call them they will tell you to go to your nearest yamaha dealer inform them of the problem. the dealer will probably have to keep the bike for about a week. it will need a complete pump and sender assy more than likely.

Is that what you did and it corrected the issue?

C

calscrazy

yup! can't remember the guy i talked to. his name was dan or david or something. nice guy!! went to local yamaha dealer and two days later they said it was ready. no probs since!!
mine was coming on after 2.5 gallons now after 3.5.

C

Camo

Here is my plan. I am going to run it untill the fuel warning comes on, then, give my wife a gallon of gas in a can and tell her which way I am headed, then just ride untill it quits and wait for her to show up ;)
Sweet! That saves me the effort :tup:

Let us know how you got on.

C

calscrazy

my wife would have something come up and would be running an hour behind!!
no way i am doing this.

MojoRisin

yamaha has a customer service division. if you call them they will tell you to go to your nearest yamaha dealer inform them of the problem. the dealer will probably have to keep the bike for about a week. it will need a complete pump and sender assy more than likely.

I did that and the dealer said there was no problem with the guage. My dealer sucks. Unfortunately the other 2 closest dearerships are both over 50 miles away.

C

calscrazy

i was told by yamaha customer service the low fuel light should come on around .9 of a gallon left. with a 4.4 gallon tank it should come on when you have used 3.5 or somewhere in there. you might have to go to one of the other dealers or call yamaha. luckily for me i have alot of dealers fairly local if one angers me. having said that the guys i have been dealing with have been great. told them what yamaha customer service said and they said no prob we will call you when its ready. ever since then i have been getting a low fuel at about 3.5 gallons of usage.

FZER

Avid Rider
Mine is a little screwy as well. Mine will come on and start counting miles and one good corner I look down and the flashing has stopped and I have one solid block again. So I'll ride until it stays on and doesn't go off, at that point I'm at the .9 mark.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
There is a float in there and the sending unit can be adjusted. .9 reserve is the standard for Yamaha bikes and is the same for the FZ1, 6 and 6R. If it's coming on that early then yes, the dealer needs to adjust this for you. :D Press them to do the right thing.