Gas dripping from overflow in AZ Heat?

Tix

So I noticed today that my bike is dripping gas from the overflow.

Seems to only happen when left in the sun. But heres the thing-- I'm not full or overly full, heck I'm maybe 1 or more ticks from full on display.

If I open the fuel cap, the dripping stops. Close it up and it starts after a few minutes.

I'm guessing the AZ heat is causing the gas to expand. You can see vapor coming out of the lines as well as the liquid drops of gas. But having one drop of gas every 2 or 3 seconds? That seems a bit much.

Anyone have this happen? Is it normal?

villhelmromero

its like how an alcohol still works. the gas heats up then vapors travel to the overflow hose then it cools off and liquifies again and drips out. happens to me here in San Antonio as well. only difference id that an alcohol still has ice surrounding thr condenser coil to cool off the vapor. I make moonshine lol.

Bajaedition

I noticed this also last weekend at a fuel stop, tried to get those last few pennies in so I did not have to get change, well I was left a little over full with 37 cents to go. when I walked back to the bike there was fuel under it, Damn I thought have a slippery tire when I start out

F3NIX

I live in AZ and the Same thing happens to me. Its normal.

Hopefully a couple more weeks and u wont have to worry about that ;)

sent from my FZ8 whike driving 100mph...using tapatalk2

Tix

Wow, I didn't know there were so many from AZ on here. Heh, we should setup a meet. :p

I think it's time for me to start stealing a covered spot at work.

But if you happen to see a fz8 on i10 around 8am... Wave. Lol

Back to topic, glad it's normal. I was half tempted to pinch the line off tonight while installing the RT5.... But I figure it's needed to prevent over pressure from all the heat than it is an overfill...?

ssky0078

I am rarely on the I10, only from the 202 until the 3rd street exit. I will go ride South Mountain in the middle of the work day when the weather cools off.

Probably the 2 best rides to do for a meetup are the loop from Fountain Hills to Payson, to Strawberry to Camp Verde, and then either loop back to Payson or down the 17.

2nd best loop is over to Wickenberg up the Yarnell/Spars (way more cops) and then either back down or to the I-17.

Super loop you can combine the two routes by going through Jerome and your'e talking I think it's about 300 miles and would take a good 6-8 hours.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...aFQ7RIrhzGsG0o1-MdpjA&oq=phoen&t=h&mra=ls&z=9

F3NIX

Never done a group ride before. Never put 300 miles on in a day....I barely have that many on this bike! Cant imagine my rearend after 300 miles with the stock seat...thinking of buying a shad seat. :)

ssky0078

Never done a group ride before. Never put 300 miles on in a day....I barely have that many on this bike! Cant imagine my rearend after 300 miles with the stock seat...thinking of buying a shad seat. :)

Most I've put in during a day is just under 500 miles. The last 100 miles was a pain. However, 300 miles is not too bad, and the day is split in half with lunch in like Jerome or Prescott, then it wouldn't be too bad.

Tix

I'm doing about 100 miles a day round trip from Far end of Surprise out to Ahwatukee. South Mtn sounds fun though and yes - The stock seat Does get rather.... Stiff.... after 60ish miles lol

I've seen some mixed reviews on the Shad seat -- Open to all options if anyone has had Shad but moved on?

F3NIX

Yes please share any info on aftetmarket seats for the fz8

lance2448

My bike does this too. I find that if I get gas at the end of the day (70ish miles round trip commute for me) the couple miles from the gas station to my house is enough to keep it from dripping at home.

Apparently, if you overfill the coolant, it will slowly drip for weeks after every trip in the heat.

I think this bike just likes to mark it's territory :p