FZ8 vs. FZ1 for "around town" riding info...

decooney

Originally, I planned to buy a FZ1 and went with an FZ8 for more local riding instead. I enjoy the FZ8 for around town riding, but was not really able to explain why on paper, I just knew it was fun to ride when I bought it. Also, while riding with groups, I could not help but notice how much easier a FZ8 takes off from a light than other high rpm sport bikes. While doing some recent FZ1 research reconsidering one for doing longer multi-day trips, I found this explanation below about the FZ8 helpful and interesting. There really are differences between these two FZ8/FZ1 bikes, and it's not just related to different cam profiles. Clearly, the FZ1 has a lot more horsepower too. Also, I've seen a few posts by a few former FZ8 owners on other forums who recently sold their FZ8s and changed to new bikes, unfortunately realizing afterwards why the FZ8 was so much fun to ride in town compared to their new higher rpm Triumph triples and larger 1000cc liter bikes. And, of course the FZ-09 fills a whole different niche but the FZ8 does fill a particular gap for some, and it still does for me around town and half day canyon runs - still a lot of fun.

Clip from Cycle World a few years back, quote:
"Sharing identical chassis geometry to the FZ1, the 8 is notably lighter on its feet, mostly due to a 30-percent reduction of crankshaft inertia and a 0.5-inch narrower rear wheel. With its ample amount of steering-lock sweep, low-speed maneuverability in and about town is excellent.

The cockpit is narrow in the midsection, helping to broaden the appeal of its 32.1-inch high seat and allowing an easier reach to the ground at stops. The six-speed gearbox uses a lower first-gear ratio and shorter final gearing than that of the FZ1, making for ultra-easy, smooth departures from a standstill. A feathery-light-clutch pull, slick-shifting transmission and spot-on fuel mapping combine with very low vibes and plentiful bottom-to-mid rpm torque delivery, allowing a super-fluid, casual cruise in route to the canyons.".

decooney

Truth. The only place I see the fz1 being better is at speeds I don't care to go at.

I don't much care for riding the FZ8 at 75-80mph for sustained periods on long straight highway roads. Last summer I did a two day 700 mile coastal trip, wishing the whole time I was on a FJR1300. It does feel like the engine is winding a tad too much with the stock FZ8 gearing. I did feel a bit more fatigue with no windscreen, and the bike gets blown around a lot when riding areas with more wind. I WAS considering changing the gearing (sprockets) for more mph/lower rpm at 80mph, adding a wind screen, possibly rear hard bags... then I stopped myself realizing I was essentially trying to create a FZ1, and likely about to ruin my FZ8 and what it was really designed for, "urban riding" and not long multi-day trips. This is what got me re-started going back down the FZ1 path again and where I found this info.

Thinking about FZ8 vs. FZ1 vs. FJR1300:
It seems the FZ1 is middle ground, but I have seen a few guys gearing down the FZ1 to ride more like the FZ8 for more midrange torque and urban riding. I don't think I could give up my FZ8 for an FJR1300, but I can now see now how some people own both FZ8 + FJ1300. If Yamaha redesigns the FZ1 to be more like the new Kawasaki Z1000SX, I'd consider it as a great middle ground bike instead. Otherwise, a nice used FJR1300 down the road would fill the multi-day riding gap. [EDIT] If anyone hears any news about any upcoming redesigns of the FZ1 in 2015, or any details, please send me a private message on this forum. Thanks.

Last edited:

master paper clip

I've done over 400 in a single day trip and could have easily done more... Secret is to keep your body limber and remember to move your butt. After about an hr or so of riding I'll start to move and limber up some every 15 minutes of riding... Flick your arms out and lift your rear up to get the blood flowing and decompress your rump... Sounds weird but I never stopped on my road trips and they were never less then 2hrs just to get to where I wanted to ride... And that's with no wind screen or any modd to my seat

Which is why you're the "iron butt" Master paper clip :) I usually do all my riding around town and keep the trips short (commute) as to I have nobody to ride with. But IMO this bike is a blast for commuting, just ripping around getting to where you need to go. But it's terrible stock at the 80mph+ mark not so much as to the rpm's, it sitting right around 6k making some noise on the freeway is fine by me, but the wind :eek5:.(but what do you expect from a naked bike?)

decooney

I've done over 400 in a single day trip and could have easily done more... Secret is to keep your body limber and remember to move your butt. After about an hr or so of riding I'll start to move and limber up some every 15 minutes of riding... Flick your arms out and lift your rear up to get the blood flowing and decompress your rump... Sounds weird but I never stopped on my road trips and they were never less then 2hrs just to get to where I wanted to ride... And that's with no wind screen or any modd to my seat

ONCE, I rode 350 miles of some straights and 40% twisty road sections straight through with one fuel stop all along the ocean on California Highway CA-1. While it was absolutely incredible most of the way, at the 310 mile mark, both of us were getting pretty darn fatigued with ocean cross winds blowing us around pretty good on the pair of FZ8s. At 350 miles, we were ready to get the heck off the bikes. To do this again, I would definitely need to hit the gym and ride my road bike a few weeks before to train for it if I was going to attempt it with age being a factor too. Oh to be young and super fit again... I've settled on 250 miles a day as my personal max limit for sport touring on the FZ8 in one day. Anything more for me just requires extra Advil and tolerance I don't have any more. :)

decooney

Rode the new 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Sport Touring bike today. WOW. Very nice. Low, Mid, High end torque, great for slow or touring or freeway riding and it handles too.

IMO: Yamaha needs to hurry up and come out with a competitor to this bike, ASAP. After riding this, I can honestly say the expiring FZ1 is not it. Hopefully Yamaha will put that new 1049cc triple in a nice chassis and give it removable hard bags to compete in the luxury super sport touring category. Dealers can't keep that Ninja 1000 on the floor. Hurry up Yamaha!

Larry P

The FZ8 really is largely unique for around town riding. Sure its heavy by comparison but the grunt at 5k can't go unnoticed. Even my R1 doesn't grunt like that! The FZ8 is super smooth and maneuvers so easily. I ride it as my 2-upper, touring (46L topcase :D), and urban commuter. When it was designed I believe those were the core fundamentals in mind. The FZ1 was more towards the touring spectrum with some faster highway use. I think the FZ8 works best in a stable of two bikes. I'm much happier with it now that it only has to do the riding it was designed for. The FZ1 is probably the better all around package for a 1 bike stable. If you don't plan to go high speeds (80+ sustained) or spend most of your time commuting in a city, then I'd say stay with the 8!

I agree the ninja 1000 is a great bike- I like a lot about it but unfortunately I would rarely get to tour with it like it was designed for. Somehow in my head I think I have all the time in the world to ride but I'm always at work :hbwall:

decooney

... I think the FZ8 works best in a stable of two bikes. I'm much happier with it now that it only has to do the riding it was designed for. The FZ1 is probably the better all around package for a 1 bike stable. If you don't plan to go high speeds (80+ sustained) or spend most of your time commuting in a city, then I'd say stay with the 8!

I agree the ninja 1000 is a great bike- I like a lot about it but unfortunately I would rarely get to tour with it like it was designed for. Somehow in my head I think I have all the time in the world to ride but I'm always at work :hbwall:

I agree with your thinking about the "two-bike stable" comment with regard to the 8. This is what I've been struggling with, trying not to add a second bike, but I really do appreciate the 8 for what it is and can do locally not wanting to give it up. I was thinking about just adding a used FJR1300 for the longer rides, but I like something more on the lighter weight/sport of touring side of the equation.

This all seemed like a great idea until I rode that darn new Ninja 1000. It threw me how it had all the feeling of the FZ8 for local urban riding, yet it could go for long stretches at higher freeway speeds. It felt like it had the lower 3 gears of an FZ8 with grunt and performance and handling for around town, and the upper 3 gears of the FZ1 for the longer hauls and freeway rides - sort of best of both worlds combined in one bike. I will say though as nice as it was, I still prefer the 8 for local riding in the under 50mph tighter riding situations. Will keep my eye out and fingers crossed maybe for some sort of future FZ1 to come out to compete with the Ninja. Till then, I'm overjoyed to continue to own and ride my 8.

master paper clip

ONCE, I rode 350 miles of some straights and 40% twisty road sections straight through with one fuel stop all along the ocean on California Highway CA-1. While it was absolutely incredible most of the way, at the 310 mile mark, both of us were getting pretty darn fatigued with ocean cross winds blowing us around pretty good on the pair of FZ8s. At 350 miles, we were ready to get the heck off the bikes. To do this again, I would definitely need to hit the gym and ride my road bike a few weeks before to train for it if I was going to attempt it with age being a factor too. Oh to be young and super fit again... I've settled on 250 miles a day as my personal max limit for sport touring on the FZ8 in one day. Anything more for me just requires extra Advil and tolerance I don't have any more. :)

I guess I got used to the bike and getting assaulted by the wind really well... Before my first week of owner ship was over I already clocked over 1000 miles on a brand new 0 mile bike.... Miss that bike so damn much