FZ8 Tech Specs

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Thus far, it is but a rumor with no specs being released from Yamaha yet. They've always been very good about remaining tight-lipped!

Rumor IS that the FZ8 is actually the FZ1 with some cosmetic and functional changes. We've heard thus far that it is likely the FZ1 engine that has been sleeved down to an 800cc engine. We've heard that they've taken away the adjustable suspension to lower costs. We can see in the photos released by Yamaha that the brakes are a bit smaller than the FZ1. There are some design changes in the appearance but what remains the same appears in the picture as the frame, tank, subframe, tail light, rear fender and outward appearance of the engine/tranny.

While the exhaust isn't great looking, it's a far cry better than the FZ1 exhaust. Still, easily replaced.

What should potential owners be excited about? Why buy a neutered FZ1?

It is likely this will have the new 2010 FZ1 based 32 bit ECU which will greatly smooth out the throttle throughout the entire band. With 200cc of chamber closed up, this should prove to be a very fast bike with a nice linear sweep from 0 - excitement.

Another big reason? MODS! If this truly is a neutered FZ1 then a lot of the after market mods for the FZ1 just may bolt right up to this new beast.

We can do nothing more than speculate at this time while we wait for the tidbits to either leak or be released. ;)

CrazyBiker

I don't think the FZ8 will be having the linear power everyone is in search of. If you really want linear power from an I4, you have to dumb it down somewhat like the Bandit 1250 which means end up producing 120bhp not from a 800cc but a 1000cc motor like the current FZ1.

IMO

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I don't think the FZ8 will be having the linear power everyone is in search of. If you really want linear power from an I4, you have to dumb it down somewhat like the Bandit 1250 which means end up producing 120bhp not from a 800cc but a 1000cc motor like the current FZ1.

IMO

I thought the same as you Akshay. But, after owning the FZ6's and then getting my wife the dumbed-down FZ6R, I can tell you that Yamaha did do just what I said. Her bike, while not as linear as we'd all like to ride, is much more linear and smooth than the FZ6 was throughout the range. Since they are actually dumbing-down the FZ1 motor and likely changing certain technical parts throughout the intake as well, I think we'll find that Yamaha achieves the same goal they set up to obtain with the FZ6R.

I can only hope to get a chance to drive one and find out!

FZ1inNH

Administrator
It's still in question if the US will see this bike at all this year. Could be next year before we can buy one.

Big matt

Hey everyone, newbie here. Is there anything we all could do to try and bring the fz8 to the US? Or any faster? I can't find it now but there was a link to yamaha, where everyone was emailing too asking yamaha to bring the FZ8 to the US.

Wenmark

I am sure quite of few people want to see this bike here in the US. Unfortunately Yamaha has made it clear that it plans to market in the UK presently. I would not hold your breathe for this year as bike sales are down. The dealer ships are overinventoried with 08/09 models. Good time to make a deal on a left over model. I see sale signs & bikes in showrooms with dust on them. I do hope the FZ8 makes it here eventually and becomes a good seller. I would like to hear either someone in the UK who has one to give us their opinion. I would also like it if Yamaha would bring a few demo models bikes here to at least let us test ride them. I'm sure many on here are thinking the same thing and possibly upgrading from the FZ6/Fz6R or another model. But until then we wait.