FZ8 Strange Humming/Whirring Sound

-Nomad-

Hey all,
First post about my first Yamaha during my first year of riding.

I bought a 2013 FZ8 and love it. I'm very happy with the upgrade from my GS500 which I've now passed on to the Mrs.

Anyway, here is the problem that has just recently occurred. I went for a nice long ride the other evening and during the ride I noticed that at speeds of 58, 68, 78, 88 and even 98 kmh I would heard a weird ringing/humming/whirring sort of sound. As soon as I changed speeds to either side of x8 it went away. It seems completely bizarro to me that it's specific to speeds but it's legit.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mikz86ta

Very odd.
Have you checked the chain for slack and also check the sprockets for wear!
Funny, my chain was getting loose and I never noticed it. But people I ride with could hear it and even see it at certain speeds. My exhaust at road speeds probably masked it from me

Cyclone85

Here are my initial thoughts. Yamaha motorcycles have terrific straight cut gear transmissions and those gears do make a little whirring/zinging sound under certain loads. Many race cars also have straight cut gears, however, most consumer grade cars and some motorcycles have helical cut gears. Google the difference and you'll see what I mean. The chance of an engine or transmission issue with your FZ8 is approaching 0% in my opinion. My FZ8 made the same 'noise', however, I believe you're hearing a characteristic of the straight cut gears. I like the sound, however, it does surprise some people. I believe my previous motorcycle (SV650) had helical cut gears and they really don't make the same kind of noise. I noticed it right away on the FZ8.....

Let me know what you think.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

-Nomad-

Thanks for the heads up on the transmission. I'll definitely research the Yamaha design vs others. I will say I'm 100% certain it's coming from the front region of the bike. I was thinking maybe wheel bearings. The front tire is fairly worn and will likely need to be replaced before next march. The bike does have a projector HID installed which could be the issue. Maybe a poor install by previous owner. Who knows. Illl try and take a video this week to hopefully capture the sound.

rail

I think I know what you're talking about. Maybe just some sort of harmonic noise the bike gets at that rev? I never paid much attention to it, I'm at 27,000 miles and the engine is going strong.

Last edited:

Bagman

Is something buzzing? I put a sticky bumper (like for cabinet doors) on top of of the instrument cluster where it would buzz against the black plastic above it.

-Nomad-

Is something buzzing? I put a sticky bumper (like for cabinet doors) on top of of the instrument cluster where it would buzz against the black plastic above it.

It's not a buzzing. Definitely a humming. Oddly enough I rode on some brand spanking new asphalt the other day and most of the hum went away. So I'm wondering if it's the tire.