FZ8 Steering Damper! Want one!

FZL8er

Hello all,

I just bought a used 2012 FZ8 last weekend. Great bike so far and the guy who owned it before me did some great upgrades to it.

One thing that I'd like to add though is a steering damper/stabilizer. After searching the internet for hours, I couldn't really find what I was looking for.
My ideal setup would be a ohlins linear steering damper mounted on the triple tree and frame.
It seems like there is one kit from Tobe but as I had mentioned, I'd rather use ohlins. While searching the web, I found that Race Werks used to have a kit for the ohlins damper but they no longer offer them...

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

Woody146

Banned
Hello all,

I just bought a used 2012 FZ8 last weekend. Great bike so far and the guy who owned it before me did some great upgrades to it.

One thing that I'd like to add though is a steering damper/stabilizer. After searching the internet for hours, I couldn't really find what I was looking for.
My ideal setup would be a ohlins linear steering damper mounted on the triple tree and frame.
It seems like there is one kit from Tobe but as I had mentioned, I'd rather use ohlins. While searching the web, I found that Race Werks used to have a kit for the ohlins damper but they no longer offer them...

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

Let me know what you find...I've seen Toby rsc hyperpro and the ohlins but the ohlins was the crappy one they put on ninjas..there is 1 member in Canada on here that has one..he got a ton of shit for it...don't think he used it yet...I want one too!!!!

master paper clip

Those ohlins dampers they throw on the ninja can be upgraded for a little cash and makes it 10x better... My riding buddy has a zx6r and that's what he did with his

RD GUY

I got the TOBY dampner,works great ,and is rebuildable, I to wanted a olins but after researching ,the olins products that us the public get to buy are not really that good

Last edited:

MotoZen

Maybe I'm showing some noob colors, but why do you want a damper? I've never tracked my bike, but I've never really noticed any wobble or anything. Isn't that what a damper is for, stability while cornering at high speed?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

FZL8er

I'm wondering if it is possible to modify the Toby steering damper mount to fit the Ohlins one... That is pretty much what Race Werks did a couple of years back.
Here is a pic:

After contacting them and finding out that they no longer make those kits they told me that they were using the toby mount from the bar clamp and the ohlins mount from the top triple tree.
I will try to reach out to Toby and see if they sell the mounting kit separately and try to figure out a way to modify the original ohlins mount to fit.

About the other replies:
Ohlins is the most widely used suspension supplier for OEMs and also MotoGP teams. Their shit is pretty good!
Steering dampers help with the overall handling of the bike but more so they are an important safety mechanism to prevent steering wobble. If you don't believe me or have any doubts, just type in "steering wobble" or "tank slapper" on youtube and watch a couple videos... You'll want a steering damper after that :)

Rotaryknight

a steering dampner is good to have on bikes with little rake on them. Its typical that the less rake you have the more prone you are for getting a tank slapper.

You can get a tank slapper in almost any condition while going at speed. I almost had a tank slapper from riding over a bumpy surface at night time going the speed limit. I also had smaller ones at....high speeds.

I would love to get one...but the price is just out of my pockets. I dont trust those ebay ones.

Woody146

Banned
a steering dampner is good to have on bikes with little rake on them. Its typical that the less rake you have the more prone you are for getting a tank slapper.

You can get a tank slapper in almost any condition while going at speed. I almost had a tank slapper from riding over a bumpy surface at night time going the speed limit. I also had smaller ones at....high speeds.

I would love to get one...but the price is just out of my pockets. I dont trust those ebay ones.

I'm with you..would love one/ have needed one very few times..if I ever have the cash to blow I will get the Toby one

FZL8er

Ok, after talking to the Toby importer on the phone it seems like they don't sell just the mounting hardware... They don't even stock parts. They just order them directly from Belgium.
Back to the drawing board :-/
The mounting plate and stand-offs don't look very complicated. I think I could make something like it fairly easily to fit the ohlins damper. I'll play around with some CAD software and see what I can come up with.
I'll keep you posted!