FZ8 ride character?

BigDave2040

This post is going to be a little bit vague, but bear with me!

I've been on the look for "the perfect bike" for a few years now, and I feel like I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet! My first was a 2007 R6, which I enjoyed a lot but ended up trading in for a 2008 CBR1000RR. That was pretty unnecessarily fast, and after a few tickets I decided that wasn't really the right thing for me. Since I generally liked the "feel" of the R6 more than the CBR, I decided to go back to Yamaha and pick up a 2012 FZ6R, thinking that it would be a pretty great bike for just getting around town, and it is! Smooth ride, feels very maneuverable, no major complaints. However... it's really lacking in power sometimes, especially when I've got a passenger or doing some highway riding (or both).

So... I saw what I considered to be a great deal on a 2010 VFR1200F and jumped on it. After a couple of weeks, I'm pretty disappointed with it. It's got a ton of power for smooth highway riding, and it definitely looks killer, but it just doesn't feel great at all at lower speeds around town (i.e. 30-40 mph) which is most of the riding I do. It's got a lot of vibration, and kind of rumbles like it's a rocket ship about to take off when cruising at lower speeds. It also makes a fan noise not totally unlike a starship entering warp speed once it gets around 3,000 RPM. My clutch hand ends up just being kind of tired from having to cruise with a disengaged clutch all the time, or deal with the noise and vibration and jumpiness from cruising a speed the engine clearly doesn't want to be going at.

Does this problem make sense? I don't know how best to describe it, but it's a little similar to my old CBR in that it just doesn't feel very pleasant to ride around at the speeds I actually travel at in civilized society.

I'd like something like my FZ6R, that has a smooth and generally painless ride at low speeds and doesn't necessarily make me feel like I *need* to be going faster to enjoy my bike, but also has enough power that I don't feel crippled on the highway and can have a little fun when I want to. I do not need to feel like I'm strapped to a jet engine *all the time*.

It sucks that test rides are so uncommon in the world of motorcycling and that I have to ask on a forum instead of being able to try them out for myself, but... Do you all think that the FZ8 or FZ1 would give me what I'm looking for, in terms of a smooth ride with the *option* of more power? I'm not huge into wheelies or riding too hard, but I'd like to at least break 100hp. Again, I've been pretty happy with my two Yamahas and generally not as happy with my Hondas. I've also heard good things about the Ninja 1000.

Again, sorry that I'm being kind of vague, but I feel like in the absence of an environment where I can try out a few different kinds of bikes, I don't have a lot of options but to try to explain my problem and hope somebody can relate!

I've cross-posted this same question on the FZ1 forum; I'm definitely interested in both bikes.

cxa0897

The fz8 has plenty of power to get going, cruises comfortably, and is pretty versatile. I do some aggressive riding, daily riding to work and such, and the occasional two up. No problems at all, besides the suspension being a tad soft, a easy fix. The 2013 fz8 is supposed to have an upgraded suspension, so that should alleviate much of that problem. It really is a middle of the road bike. Its good at nearly everything, but not really great at anything. I find it to be a nice compromise between daily and sport. It doesn't beg to be ridden hard, but it doesn't complain about it either.

My father has an previous gen fz1, and from the few times I rode it, it seemed to lack the mid range torque that the 8 has. It does have a lot more power up top though, which makes up for it. Gas mileage is pretty similar, comfort was pretty similar, the only real differences I noticed are the power band and the insurance premium of the liter engine

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
A bone stock fz1 would probably fit u perfectly unless your tickets messed with your insurance.......

TorontoAlex

The FZ8 doesnt have any fairings like your other bikes. The stance is more upright. The seat wont be comfortable for your passenger, so youll need to upgrade that. And at 475lbs it wont be anywhere near as powerful (power to weight ratio is important) as an R6, or as flickable. And since you change bikes so often it sounds like you have money to toss around. Get it over with, buy a BMW S1000RR. It's got amazing reviews for touring, sport biking, and best 1/4 mile time. And heated grips.

I went from a cb750k to my fz8. Doesnt feel much different to be honest. It idles the same, not much faster, not as comfy.

HenryT

My 2 cents, you sound like you have some powerful bikes in there. I think you will find the FZ8 underpowered at times and lacking in refinement. FZ8 is a cool bike but there is a reason its being replaced FZ09.

I would urge you to look at the Triumph Speed Triple, The Yamaha FZ09 might suit you with some suspension mods, IE new rear shock.

Unless money is not a consideration the Speed Triple has a much more sophisticated suspension.

I still dig the FZ8 though and being an old fart have to think it would be a great choice for the riding I enjoy. Unfortunately $ is a consideration for me, otherwise it would be an easy choice.

RoadKill

The FZ8 is not being replaced by the FZ-09. they just arent going to sell it in the USA now. But it will be available in other countries along with the fz-09.
the fz-09 will be called the mt-09 elsewhere though.

Nstr_FZ8

The FZ8 is not being replaced by the FZ-09. they just arent going to sell it in the USA now. But it will be available in other countries along with the fz-09.

Thank u foe clearing my doubt man :)

Hellgate

See my post on tge FZ1 site regarding the FZ1. I smell a troll???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

kawk2fazer

As previously mentioned, the 8 is a nice all around bike. If you plan on doing any sort of highway riding, a windscreen should probably be on the top of you mod list. coming from a zx636, the 8 definitely has a lot better city manners...better posture, torque at right range, while still keeping the agility that comes with a 6xxcc ss. the ninja 1000 def has better oomph to it, but thats expected from a liter bike. if you can get over the looks, its a fairly descent setup. i was considering the cb1000r before settling on the 8, but only prob with that is if you plan on doing 2-up, you can be sure the person behind you will not be happy...hard and small seat. personally, i would have gone with the fz1 and done the euro headlight mod, but for the type of riding i do (mostly city), I just couldnt justify the extra power and cost

HenryT

Ok I guess that will be relevant if I move out of the country anytime soon....

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
And at 475lbs it wont be anywhere near as powerful (power to weight ratio is important) as an R6

Don't know about you, but I have demolished all (3 different r6's) the 600's that I find around my town. Midrange for the win!

It's 70% how you ride :2cents:

cxa0897

In a straight line, the 8 doesn't stand a chance against a 600 ss or a liter bike like the fz1. In the twisties or the track, the torque that we have makes it a much more even battle, especially if the riders abilities are reasonably matched.

HenryT

In a straight line, the 8 doesn't stand a chance against a 600 ss or a liter bike like the fz1. In the twisties or the track, the torque that we have makes it a much more even battle, especially if the riders abilities are reasonably matched.
No doubt, rider skill figures highly into motorcycling. I'm sure there are riders that could dust me on a 250 and I'm on a 1000 considering its not just straight aways.

OdinSon

In a straight line the 8 will pull your nuts out your a$$hole if you let it. Do you really need more power than that?

Last edited:

Bajaedition

I like the comment about the FZ8 being under powered.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

WTF, when is 100 plus ponies and 68 pounds of torque on a flat torque curve underpowered? Get a life I remember when 750s had around 80 ponies and we were trading our 500s up to a 750 to get real HP>

FZ8 is not a sportsbike, it is not a touring bike, it is not a cruiser, it is a UJM. Universal Japanese Motorcycle. With a lot of styling attitude.

I think that nails it, just a all around good bike. Yes you could mod the crap out of it but underneath it will still be a FZ8.
it will NEVER be a sportsbike, a Touring Bike, a Cruiser.. It is a naked, street fighter style street bike that will make a great place in the corral.

I am madly in love with mine, sitas next to my ZZR which is a great sports touring bike and I am complete.

hlmiskelly

I concur, Baja. I bought the FZ-8 for its mid-size engine with enough horsepower and a lot of torque, its upright riding position and its styling. It makes a great new school standard to accompany my old school Triumph Bonneville, which was bought for the exact same reasons.

Not the highest top speed. Not the highest acceleration. Not the best on the curves. But the perfect compromise of all three.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
either fz8 or fz09. If you want a little bit of forward lean, get the fz8. If you want a triple, get the fz09. ::2cents::

cambo

Avid Rider
OP...I wrecked my FZ8...the g'damn love of my life. And whenever insurance finally sorts me out...you better believe I'll be going right back an FZ8!

Get an fz8...never mind all that power crap, I personally think it's got plenty of power and I weighed close to 250 when fully geared...it still scared the shit outta me!!

Sort out your ergonomics and suspension...and you will LOVE IT. good luck hiding the boner while you ride. I went ahead and bought a smaller helmet for the little guy. Full face helmet for me. Half helmet for him.