FZ8 performance mods

Rhyno54

Hello all, been awhile since i've been on this forum, I wanted to ask question and hope some of you might clear things up a bit. Had my bike flash-tuned recently(love it). In a few months i'm gonna plan on getting a set of akra headers for my bike. I know i'll end up having to flash-tune the bike again to compensate for the full exhaust. What I wanted to know was what really is the difference between a flash-tune and a bazzaz/power commander. I talked to a guy and he said that a flash-tune is like a standard performance upgrade and the bazzaz/pwr cmdr would be like fine tuning it, i.e. dyno tuning, if that makes sense. He basically said that a flash-tune with a bazzaz/pwr cmdr would get the most out of the bike short of any major upgrades. I also plan on going -1 on the front sprocket to get a little more bottom end, so i've heard that's what it will do.

Last edited:

Umyaya

There is a lot of talk about how the akra headers aren't worth it and you can either gut the cat or leave it. Akra headers may only give you a few extra horses... could not be that noticeable. What's your suspension setup currently? Save the 600 from the headers and get rear sets or other mods. What map did you have flashed? Jumbos map?

Rhyno54

Suspension is still stock, i plan on upgrading that as well. The flash was just a standard flash with a slip-on and air filter other than that i don't know, i guess you could call it a jumbo map if that's what it is. Spending the money on the exhaust is something i don't mind doing not to mention the weight savings that the headers offer, as well as getting it re-flashed after i install the headers. I thought about gutting the cat but decided to leave them stock. What I wanted to find out was with a full exhaust and a flash tune do i need to get a bazzaz or pwr cmdr to fine tune it when i have it dyno tuned. I've heard that if you want to really dial in the exhaust you have to have to have it dyno tuned and wanted to know if thats true or not. I know some people will bash me for this, but i'm just trying to get the most performance, hp and torque wise outta the bike. After i get the exhaust done i plan on upgrading the suspension, i already have other mods done on the bike, i also want to put radiator side covers and a belly pan on the bike as well. I want to get 110 hp to the rear wheel or as close to it as possible.

Last edited:

Umyaya

The weight savings is minimal.. I think it's something like 7lbs = 1 hp.. .someone correct me if I am wrong.. If you want to push 110 hp you better do R1 cams... I ran into this issue so I just bought a second bike that is faster stock than the FZ8 is modded.. It just costs too much to mod out the FZ8 to produce these gains.. Personally I think suspension should come first before exhaust because without a good suspension you won't be able to push the FZ8 to the limit... not many people can push it either or if they are on the street.. they may not be for long.. For the Fuel tuner... I just sold mine.. yes people do tweak the flash to gain some but it is very minimal.. Other members report 1-2hp gains from both flash and a PC5 dyno tuned... is it worth it for the money? That's your call. I've heard a flash tuned bike with the jumbo map produces almost the same with full exhaust. If you do get 110hp to the rear without R1 cams.. please let me know how you did it. My only regret today is.. I could have bought a FZ1 and turned it naked for cheaper than my FZ8... Did you end up doing the airbox mod? throw on a r6 tube.

OdinSon

I did the airbox mod and ended up reverting back to the stock airbox. The bike seemed to rev up easier but I felt there was a slight but noticeable dip in low end power. I ultimately didn't like the sound the bike was making though. It sounded a bit harsh and ragged to me. My 2 cents.

Rhyno54

I thought about the air box mod, but decided to leave it stock. Haven't got R6 throttle tube yet, that's another item on the list. I could be wrong on this but I did some searching and found that a full akra exhaust put 104-5 hp at the wheel so I figured with a flash tune it would probably get close to those numbers i'm looking to get. You made a good point, about the bazzaz/pc5, if after a full exhaust and a flash tune your only gonna get a couple more ponies with the bazzaz/pc5 dyno tune. Is it worth it? who know's, i mean if that's the case then I would get the full exhaust and reflash my ECU. Just hate the stock exhaust that's all lol. I plan keeping the bike for awhile so I want to make it my own. Right now I have a TB slip-on, CRG brake and clutch levers, CRG bar end mirrors, Puig windscreen, Renthal street fighter bars, tail tidy kit, tail bag, K&N oil and air filter, blacked out FZ8 radiator cover, rear spools, tank guard, side tank grip tape and frame sliders. The next two items I want to put on the bike are a body style raditator side cover and a skidmarx bellypan. Then of course suspension upgrade. I already got a couple bikes picked out as my next bike either a GSX-R750 or a Kawasaki Z1000. One thing about the FZ1 I didn't find it as comfortable as the FZ8

Last edited:

Rhyno54

I remember one guy on this forum, trying to get 180hp outta the FZ8, he mentioned doing a R779 top end kit, I looked around but couldn't find anything on it. That's one area I wanna stay away from is doing major mechanical upgrades, with what I want to do to the bike if I get 108-110 rear wheel hp I would be totally fine with that.

OdinSon

Fortunately, no. I think I paid somewhere around $40 but I don't remember the exact number. Of course I didn't find any reason not to do the mod until after I did it, didn't like it and looked up to see if others had the same problem. I still have my modded airbox just in case I feel like tinkering with it in the future.

Umyaya

Interesting choices for next bikes... what didn't you find comfortable about the fz1? If it had the fairing it does make it feel bigger and different.... you said your next bike may be a gsxr750. Did you mean the new naked one coming out with handelbars or the gsxr 750 sport bike with clip ons? Because I was going to say... going back to clip ons would not be comfy! I'd get the 1000 one if the fz8 isn't enough power... not sure about specs but don't expect the gsxr750 to produce that much more. how long have you been riding rhyno and do you ride the canyons?

Last edited:

Umyaya

I remember one guy on this forum, trying to get 180hp outta the FZ8, he mentioned doing a R779 top end kit, I looked around but couldn't find anything on it. That's one area I wanna stay away from is doing major mechanical upgrades, with what I want to do to the bike if I get 108-110 rear wheel hp I would be totally fine with that.

To get 180 hp to the wheel on a fz8 would probably need a turbo. I feel like the fz8 has enough power for the streets. Can't imagine riding a liter supersport bike.

Last edited:

Rhyno54

i think that guy meant 180hp at the crank, eve then that's quite a bit, me did mention doing a R1 top end kit or something like that. I think the FZ1 is a very nice bike, just didn't like the way I felt when I sat on it that's all. It was the GSX-R750, the one with clip-ons, If I did decide to get it I already planned on getting Helibars for it and lowering the adjustable rear sets. I sat on one at a local dealership with the different handlebars and lower rear sets, it was quite comfortable for a sport bike I must say. The Gixxer and The Z1000 produce pretty close hp at the crank, with 148hp-64trq:Gixxer and 142hp-81trq: Kawie Z1000. I ride as much as I can, I live in NorCal so there's a lot of good riding here. I probably won't buy my next bike for at least a year or two, those two were the one's that I really liked, so far. I probably won't buy another bike after my next one, so i'm kinda looking for a jack of all trades kinda bike, with power the I want.

Rhyno54

I'm not, just like the way they ride that's all. Those numbers were at the crank not wheel, both bikes have good low and mid-range power which is what I like for general joy-riding.

Rhyno54

I have as far as my gear are, Arai helmet, Joe Rocket Dark Radar jacket, forcefield knee armor, Klim underpants, Kevlar Jeans, Spidi XP-3 riding boots and Dainese full metal gauntlet gloves.

Last edited: