FZ8 on the track - track days

Ivy33

Hey all, has anyone here taken their FZ8 to track days (or ever been on the track with any other bikes)? I will be going in July and want to know what I'm in for. Is the FZ8 well-suited for time on the track? What were your experiences with track riding?

walto207

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYhh76diHk]YouTube - ‪FZ8 First Ride Ken Hill - Dale Kiefer YCRS‬‏[/ame]

heres a link of a guy riding one at a track, looks like a decent rider, maybe can help you a little

casefc3s

I haven't done any motorcycle track days, but I have done plenty of track days in cars, and I imagine it will be pretty similar. I think the FZ-8 will be alright on the track, my buddy tracked his FZ-1 pretty frequently in the past and he loved every second of it. As far as what to expect on track days, usually you'll be separated into run groups based upon what experience level you are (track history). That way you're not running with pro-level guys zooming past you a quarter inch away from your leg at 110mph in a corner. They'll assign passing zones on the straights where it's safe to pass or let other riders by (remember if you're getting passed to stay on the racing line, but let off the throttle when you let them go by). You'll probably spend anywhere from 20-30 minutes at a time on the track, and have an hour and a half to two hours between sessions with about 4 or 5 sessions per day. There's always a drivers/riders meeting at the beginning of the day and they'll often not let you on the track unless you make it, so make sure you arrive early to get setup.

Make sure you bring plenty of water and all the fluids the bike could possibly take, as well as tools. Check your tire pressure frequently (immediately after you come off the track is the best time to measure/adjust your pressure)! If you have any specific questions or if there's something I haven't touched on here, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer, but like I mentioned before, I haven't done any motorcycle days so there's plenty I won't know!

mano1192

bikes are particular, at least I know they are here at teh Las Vegas speedway, you have to take your mirrors off, ducttape all lights, disconnect all lights even the running light, have no breakables on the bike. You will have to take off your turn signals also front and back. Its very different then a car.

If you showed up with your stock bike they will not let you on. You also must have full leathers.

HTH

Ivy33

Thanks so much you guys. I'm really looking forward to this. If I manage to get some pics I'll post them here.

beefcake morris

Been riding the track for the last year and half, not on the FZ8 yet though. Just got back two weeks ago from Jennings GP.

What you will need:
Full leathers two or one piece
Gauntlet Gloves
Race boots
full face helmet

Bike prep depends on the track and event:
Lights discounted and taped
Turn signals removed or taped up
Safety wire oil plug and drain plug
Wheels weights taped down

Pit items:
Tent
chair
helmet fan (cheap round fan at walmart)
power strip and extension cord
1 floor scrub brush to get the tire bogies off
Lots of fluids more than you think. If you are not peeing when you come in and right before you go out you are drinking enough.

Now here comes my PSA. Sign up for Novice if this is your first track event on a bike. Don't get caught up in all the race hype (very easy to do). If they offer classes in between sessions go to them. Use the control riders they are either being paid to be out there or get to ride the track free anytime, so make them earn it. Oh and dear god don't be concerned about your times, until you start going on a regular basis. No body cares what you ran for 1 whole lap, it is about consistency out there.

In addition, make sure you have a i"n case of emergency" sheet that is very easy to find for somebody with your stuff.

Have fun and post some pic's

lothodon

Super Moderator
from my reading over the years...

different tracks, different rules, research the track you are planning to run for specifics as they can all differ a LOT.

NEVER ride your bike TO a track day...there is always a chance it won't survive.

if you plan on riding aggressively, plan on taking your bike home in pieces. that will mentally prepare you for what could happen.

pit stands! some tracks require complete removal of side and center stands.

get track day insurance if your not ready to throw your bike away. most insurance DOES NOT cover your bike during a track day.

those are the big points from a lot of reading i recall. now these are aimed much more at the wanna be racers as i did a lot of research when i had my r1 but i imagine most will carry over.

oh yeah...

don't use duct tape to cover your lights. use painters tape. duct tape will stick like no other and you'll be removing goo for hours. also, pull the fuse if you can for your lights as if they are "on" under the tape it will melt the tape and the adhesive will stick worse than it should. most tracks will also require removal of your mirrors and blocking anything "reflective". i'll add more as i recall.

Last edited:

BikerBry

YCRS

New guy here...having just bought one of the FZ8's used by the Yamaha Champions Riding School I searched to see if anyone here had a thread on it...this is the only one that came up. The video posted above are my friends Ken and Dale, and to say they can teach you something is an understatement. Unfortunately, the school has been closed. Sucks for me on two fronts, I used to sell the schools to riders. At least I got a killer bike at a decent price. :)

I work for the Miller Motorsports Park, and the track chose to close the school a couple months ago. Nick Ienatsch was the lead instructor, and his book ( [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072]Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track: Nick Ienatsch, Kenny Roberts: 9781893618077: Amazon.com: Books[/ame] ) is a big help for anyone. Sad to lose such a fantastic program, but the staff is available for private coaching. Message me for details.

NoNine4me

Track days are the single best thing you can do to learn to ride. Nothing, no MSF course, no books, videos, Internet coaching, or anything else will subsitute for seat time, on the racetrack, with a good coach.

I've done all the major schools (including Freddie Spencer's now-defunct organization) and now that Freddie's out of the game, I would strongly recommend Keith Code's CSS. Nothing I've tried comes close. He's also got the safest game in town, with corner workers and a great staff. Read some of his columns in Motorcyclist, they are very good.

If ya can't do a CSS, research the track days available to you and try to pick the one that seems to be the most professionally run.

Good luck out there!

MotoZen

Track days are the single best thing you can do to learn to ride. Nothing, no MSF course, no books, videos, Internet coaching, or anything else will subsitute for seat time, on the racetrack, with a good coach.

I've done all the major schools (including Freddie Spencer's now-defunct organization) and now that Freddie's out of the game, I would strongly recommend Keith Code's CSS. Nothing I've tried comes close. He's also got the safest game in town, with corner workers and a great staff. Read some of his columns in Motorcyclist, they are very good.

If ya can't do a CSS, research the track days available to you and try to pick the one that seems to be the most professionally run.

Good luck out there!

It seems to me that a track day will teach you how to handle your bike very well, but won't teach you real world riding awareness. A track, I'd imagine, has things like groomed surfaces, no traffic, no cagers, no stop signs, traffic lights or any intersections at all, etc.

I've never ridden a track day and I'm not saying that they aren't extremely helpful, but I would imagine that the MSF course should arguably be the first stop for learning to ride on the road better.

Am I wrong on my assumptions for what a track day is?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

NoNine4me

It seems to me that a track day will teach you how to handle your bike very well, but won't teach you real world riding awareness. A track, I'd imagine, has things like groomed surfaces, no traffic, no cagers, no stop signs, traffic lights or any intersections at all, etc.

I've never ridden a track day and I'm not saying that they aren't extremely helpful, but I would imagine that the MSF course should arguably be the first stop for learning to ride on the road better.

Am I wrong on my assumptions for what a track day is?
Yes. Racetracks are not billiard-ball smooth, groomed surfaces. Sometimes, right after repaving or new construction, they can be pretty nice. Chuckwalla is said to be pretty smooth, for example. But most tracks have rough pavement, seams, pavement transitions, and all kinds of challenges. Traffic? Try being swarmed by a group of riders who've been waiting to get around you are are being good boys by waiting until the straight, or a place to pass on the outside. Or being one of the guys who's waiting for a spot to squeeze through...

On-road skills are learned, hopefully, at a driver's education course. Bike handling skills are learned on a closed course where those distractions aren't present.

MSF courses are all about theory, just like track days, really. We can theorize and discuss until the cows come home and go out again but practice is what makes us better riders.

For example, on the -09 forum, three riders have gone down in the last week or two. In every case, they've suggested they were at least partially at fault.

It's our ability to physically handle the motorcycle under emergency conditions (sudden stop or quick maneuver) that will ultimately make the difference when the sh*t hits the fan. That's what we can learn from riding in the dirt and training at the track.

MSF teaches strategy, shall we say, while track days teach tactics.;)

BikerBry

Nick, Ken, Shane, Dale & etc. are who made YCRS what it was, but it began as the Freddy Spencer school. When Freddy quit MMP picked it up and rebranded it with the same instructors. Nothing against Keith Code but from what my clients say it's not the same level as what we just lost. No fear, they will be back.

Regarding it not being "real"...quite contrary. They have the obstacles, they take away the risks. One of the sessions asks that you ride the track fast as normal but each instructor is placed around the track with a stack of cones that they move for each lap...you never know where you are headed. Their drills are amazing.

Here's my favorite review of the school...have a read. Whether it encourages you to find my friends, Code or whoever I just hope it leaves an impression.

Soup :: Yamaha Champions School: Breaking Trail On Trail-Braking :: 06-15-2011