fz8 for starter

nbog

Hey ppl. I would like some advice.
I am looking to buy FZ8.

But my question is since i am not a experience motorcycle driver, is it good to have fz8 as a starter bike, for normal driving.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
That's really a personal choice. It does have a lot of power for a beginner, but it is easy to maneuver and you won't be bored with it in a few months of riding. Take into account how much you are willing to pay to learn the hard way before making a decision on which bike to use as a starter. If you want similar style with less power and a lot less initial cost, there is the CB500f or for even less money and less power you could go with the suzuki gw250. Long answer short: Yes, the FZ is a good bike for a beginner who has some self control and a spare $8k (USD).

master paper clip

Was my first bike, and just like any bike it dosnt matter what bike it is, u can hurt your self just as easily... Be patient and take your time getting used to your bike

HenryT

I think it would be a good choice for a first street bike. Learn to be a confident, defensive driver.....you can practice in your car the skills for seeing.

BigOleChalupa

Depending on your maturity level, it can be a good bike to start on....But I personally always reccomend getting an old small cc bike to beat around on for a while, sell it at likely no loss, and then upgrade.
Just my .02 cents
Bigo

DanS

Commuter
:agree:
I started on a Suzuki GS 500, paid $1700 and sold it two months later for $2000. I outgrew it quickly but I learned a lot! It was much more forgiving than the FZ8 for beginner mistakes, and I made a lot of them ;)

Last edited:

MotoZen

Was my first bike, and just like any bike it dosnt matter what bike it is, u can hurt your self just as easily... Be patient and take your time getting used to your bike

I disagree. Yes, you can get hurt on any bike. But if I wanted to cruise at 85 mph on my old Honda shadow 500, I had to crank the throttle pretty good. It would do it if I asked, but it had to be intentional. My FZ8 goes a lot faster without really trying very hard.

IMO, the FZ8 is not a good beginner bike for "most" people. And that is mostly because of the power. It is a very easy to ride motorcycle as long as you have enough self control to not kill yourself.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

n00b

Avid Rider
I started on it - zero prior experience on two wheels, other than bicycles. LOL. Not a problem. But I'm older and have gotten the "need for speed" out of my system. I'm perfectly content not doing crazy speeds or pushing the bike past my abilities.

nbog

well i consider myself enough mature to control driving, i think that i learn that while i was driving 18wheeler. i will go from the start, if is necessary i am not gona be lazy to drive it on a parking lot just to learn how to handle with it.

so i will sure go for fz8 i found one for sale for 6500$, and for me fz8 is one of the prettiest bike on the road :) so in a month i will definitely do a buying :)

ssky0078

No matter what you chose for a first bike, take the time and money and invest in the Basic Rider Course from your local MSF. They will teach you the skills that just may save your life.

I started on an Fz6 before jumping to an Fz1. I crashed my Fz6 and if I had not learned the skills they teach in the BRC I would probably be dead after flying off a 500 foot cliff/embankment to some nasty rocks below.

Every time I see someone say they'll just learn in a parking lot on their own or with a friend who rides (unless they are an MSF Rider Coach) I cringe. Most the patients I see as a doctor with severe injuries from motorcycle crashes did not take the MSF BRC course.

The class by me is $250 and is probably the best money I've spent on motorcycling besides the couple hundred I spent on the Advanced Rider Course. The skills make whatever bike you're riding more enjoyable.

nbog

No matter what you chose for a first bike, take the time and money and invest in the Basic Rider Course from your local MSF. They will teach you the skills that just may save your life.

I started on an Fz6 before jumping to an Fz1. I crashed my Fz6 and if I had not learned the skills they teach in the BRC I would probably be dead after flying off a 500 foot cliff/embankment to some nasty rocks below.

Every time I see someone say they'll just learn in a parking lot on their own or with a friend who rides (unless they are an MSF Rider Coach) I cringe. Most the patients I see as a doctor with severe injuries from motorcycle crashes did not take the MSF BRC course.

The class by me is $250 and is probably the best money I've spent on motorcycling besides the couple hundred I spent on the Advanced Rider Course. The skills make whatever bike you're riding more enjoyable.

dont get me wrong, i didnt want to be a smart ass when i sad that i would drive on a parking lot until i learn a basic stuffs, thats why i started this subject, so i will get good advice from experience ppl, and that i can make a good choice about my first bike (fz8 at this point)

Nstr_FZ8

When I say Im a begginer rider, I mean I had never even mounted a bike as a passenger before my FZ8.

It all depends on YOU bro. Your level of maturity like they said before in the thread...

The bike is just a bike... It has plenty of power, but YOU are riding the motorcycle, the motorcycle is not riding you.

After a couple of months I feel pretty confident man, and I think that if I did it anyone can do it.

Question: Do you know how to drive manual? it will help you a lot, since its basically the same concept of shifting..

anyways. If you like the FZ8 then GET IT. You wont regret it bro I promise you.

nbog

When I say Im a begginer rider, I mean I had never even mounted a bike as a passenger before my FZ8.

It all depends on YOU bro. Your level of maturity like they said before in the thread...

The bike is just a bike... It has plenty of power, but YOU are riding the motorcycle, the motorcycle is not riding you.

After a couple of months I feel pretty confident man, and I think that if I did it anyone can do it.

Question: Do you know how to drive manual? it will help you a lot, since its basically the same concept of shifting..

anyways. If you like the FZ8 then GET IT. You wont regret it bro I promise you.

Yep i know, i use to drive it a long time ago in europe, but i have never owned bike to ride it every day, if we dont speak about 250ccm scooter that i use to drive.

Nstr_FZ8

Yep i know, i use to drive it a long time ago in europe, but i have never owned bike to ride it every day, if we dont speak about 250ccm scooter that i use to drive.

you see? you already have more experience that I did when I got my FZ8. I dont think Im an expert riding.. but I got it pretty figured out.. You'll be fine with it man, just go and get it :)

ssky0078

dont get me wrong, i didnt want to be a smart ass when i sad that i would drive on a parking lot until i learn a basic stuffs, thats why i started this subject, so i will get good advice from experience ppl, and that i can make a good choice about my first bike (fz8 at this point)

I didn't think you were being a smart ass. I thought you were being serious. I was being serious that when I see chronic pain patients that have had serious injuries almost all of them did not take a Basic Rider Course. I would do that first. There was a guy in our class 29 years old, thought he was mature. Said he was deciding between starting on GSXR 600 or GSXR750 and he had ridden his buddies GSXR1000 before. Well as soon as we get on the range, he is on a little Yamaha TW200 and he drops it once in the first drill letting the clutch out. Then out of the corner of my I see this bike flip up in the air and land upside down. He straight did a clutch up wheelie and just stood up (he was bout 6'3) and let the bike shoot out from under him. He went and sat down, was so rattled that he said he wasn't going to buy a bike now and went home.

The BRC is $250 where I'm from and I've heard of cheaper in different locations. Got take it, and then you will know if you can handle a higher performance bike. My bike was a Honda CRF230L. I was bored by the middle of the second day and I was nailing all the drills that the instructors said I could probably safely start on a 600. I started on a 600.

It's your life, your limbs, and your bike (dropping it can be an expensive endeavor). Do what you think is best and hope to see ya around on the forum.

Rotaryknight

They way I see it, if you can ride any two wheeled bike whether moped, bicycle, or a scooter, you can ride a motorcycle. You just have to be patient with learning and respect the bike. I know people that ride their bicycles everyday, and got on the motorcycle the very first time and it felt just the same and they havent even dropped the bike yet, though it was a 250 and not an 800.

The thing with the FZ8 is that it feels more top heavy then lets say a 250 or even the 650 ninja. They come to a stop and put their feet down, and all of a sudden it starts leaning because they didnt support the bike with their legs. The middleweight bikes (600cc) have their weight more centralized so it feels more stable when resting on the bike at a stoplight. Standard bikes are a lot more agile at slow speeds, you would have to be careful with the slightest push on the bars.

cxa0897

I had zero experience when I bought my bike. My father rode it home from the showroom and let me learn on his prev gen fz1, a rather powerful bike. After an hour or so of just putzing up and down the street and around the block I was able to jump on the 8 feeling confident I wouldn't drop it. I spent the next few days spending some time in the parking lot, passed my license exam and then took the brc.

Ideally, I would have taken the brc earlier but I was ill and missed my original date for the course. I did not feel that the fz8 was a "difficult" bike to learn on, but a 250-500 would certainly have made the process quicker and easier.

In all honesty, as long as you are not afraid of the bike, and recognize the power it has, you should be fine. Start slow, focus on basic skills and techniques, and ride your own ride. Don't try to keep up with your buddies right away, it's a recipe for disaster.