FZ8 and FZ-09

FaZerick8

Friend and I got to ride each others bikes. His FZ-09 is more responsive and feels lighter, my FZ8 seemed a tad bit smoother.

pigdog

fz09 has the same minor problems like cheap suspension. i do agree fz8 in any year wins in the looks dept. and whats with the paint coming off the fz09 blue wheels?

DSmith

IMO those blue wheels completely ruin the look of the 9. I think the 8 looks a lot more badass overall too

ssky0078

If I was looking in the sub-1,000 middle weight department, I would lean toward the Fz-09 based on the numbers and the urban assault riding I do (no, I don't ride aggressively, just proactively). However after sitting on it, I would say that the seat is not that comfortable because it seems to let you slide up on the tank a little too easy while being a little narrow, the upright posture is nice but I like the slight lean forward of the 8 and the fatter tank that helps my legs rest on them.

Marthy

Once you get over the dirt bike look of the FZ09, it's hell of a ride. What the 09 lack in looks it makes it up in character! And the sound... :)

mikefz8

I absolutely love my 8...but for me the 9 takes the cake in the looks department. the headlight bucket is sweet more that I could say. Either way they are both going to be awesome bikes.

Rotaryknight

If I was looking in the sub-1,000 middle weight department, I would lean toward the Fz-09 based on the numbers and the urban assault riding I do (no, I don't ride aggressively, just proactively). However after sitting on it, I would say that the seat is not that comfortable because it seems to let you slide up on the tank a little too easy while being a little narrow, the upright posture is nice but I like the slight lean forward of the 8 and the fatter tank that helps my legs rest on them.

I never liked how upright I have to sit on the FZ09. My highway commuting on the FZ09 would kill my shoulders with the wind. I am 6 feet tall and on the FZ8 the wind is just barely blowing over my shoulders.
If I was riding in the city or going under 60mph 80% of the time, I would definitely love the FZ09. I actually love the blue wheels :p but I hate the supermoto seats, its too easy to slide forward and back on them especially considering how the front of the seat slopes up onto the tank....I love my testicles very much.

RoadKill

when i have worn out my FZ8, i will probably move on to a Ninja 1000. The 09 has to many corners cut in suspension, exhaust, seat. It's not that great of a bike for longer road trips being so light imo.

FaZerick8

That's right Rotaryknight, the FZ8 has much better wind deflection than the FZ-09, especially with the Yamaha fly screen. Also you are right on point, the -09 seat slides you forward. But the foot pegs are further down, so your legs are not so bent on the -09.

Perron

Once you get over the dirt bike look of the FZ09, it's hell of a ride. What the 09 lack in looks it makes it up in character! And the sound... :)

Did you change your exhaust yet? Curious to hear the FZ09 with an aftermarket exhaust!

Marthy

Oh ya! I am on the phone... Youtube Marthy FZ-09/MT-09 exhaust, I have few good video. hike sound sick and pull great, and still get 47 MPG @ 70 MPH cruising. Wind blast is not bad and during that 155 moles fuel tank my hands never got numb like they use to on the 6R... smooth ride, love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Perron

Oh ya! I am on the phone... Youtube Marthy FZ-09/MT-09 exhaust, I have few good video. hike sound sick and pull great, and still get 47 MPG @ 70 MPH cruising. Wind blast is not bad and during that 155 moles fuel tank my hands never got numb like they use to on the 6R... smooth ride, love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Damn your exhaust sounds very good! I really like the sound of a 3 cylinders!

Marthy

I haven't had the chance to ride the FZ8 unfortunately but I think your spot on on the suspension. I had to crank a fair amount of preload and close the rebound 2/3 to keep the platform stable. Wheely in 3rd gear... no really. The front wheel skip here in thee at WOT but that's it. Kind of remind me of kids claiming there Honda Civic has so much power than they still have wheel spin in 2nd or 3rd gear. Don't confuse poor suspension with too much power! LOL

I'm waiting on R&D. Few guys experiment with different component from different suppliers and sill trying to eyeball a good set-up. Major issue is the rear shock... the front seems ok once you swap few internals. Brake lines are on the way and the tune is pretty much bang on right now.

I'm using the EJK fuel controller (load base tuning). I'm waiting fort he second version this week with the O2 sensor jam (offset O2 sensor to run richer in close loop)

But you are right with a glorified dirt bike feel. Grow up riding in the dirt and just feel like home! LOL

decooney

NoNine4me,

I enjoyed reading your post. I had drawn some of the same conclusions in a few areas early on this summer when I saw the FZ09 at MotoGP. My initial concern was about how small it is, and how bad it squatted for any rider above 170lbs. Today, I look at the current 2014 FZ09 as being more like a Supermoto triple, just coming off of one myself. We'll likely see some worthy fixes and revisions for 2015 on the FZ-09. Also, I see two different type rider groups between the FZ8 and FZ09, however if Yamaha's goal is to offer a light value bike and keeping the cost down, the FZ8 won't survive because it simply costs a bit more money to manufacturer, and less profit for Yamaha sort of a gem for me really. I feel very lucky to have picked up a 2012 FZ8.