FZ1 Shock Replacement Spring Rate

tzortn

Pillion
I was able to get a 2008 FZ1 shock on EBay for a reasonable price. My question is should I put a stiffer spring on it?

I am a big guy and I was told that a common mod for the FZ1s is to put a stiffer spring on it. Do people usually do that when putting a FZ1 shock on a FZ8?

If I do put a stiffer spring do I need to do anything to the damping?

F

Fazed

If you are 100kg or above then the stock spring should be fine. I'm 110 kg and racetech recommend I get a slightly softer spring. As for damping setting that only adjusts rebound which is how fast the shock wants to return to its normal position. When I get to my laptop, ill post a link to a suspension setup page that I find puts it in easy to understand terms.

Last edited by a moderator:

ssky0078

The stock spring rate on a 2008 Fz1 was 12.0 kg/mm. The factory spring for an Fz8 was 8.1 kg/mm. The stock spring is obviously going to be stiffer and the rebound adjustment you get with the shock will help control it.

C

Camo

Chuck the shock in as is, go for a fang and see how it feels.

tzortn

Pillion
Well the shock came in today and it looks like it is in good shape. I think my plan is to get it installed (still working on how to do that without a centerstand) and see how it rides. I am not Rossi on the street but i know that with my last bike actually taking some time to set up the suspension did make a different.

B

bren

Well the shock came in today and it looks like it is in good shape. I think my plan is to get it installed (still working on how to do that without a centerstand) and see how it rides. I am not Rossi on the street but i know that with my last bike actually taking some time to set up the suspension did make a different.

I got a mate to hold the bars straight, i picked up the rear of the bike and another mate got under, slid the old shock out and slipped the new one in. I then put the rear down and we tightened it.

Kinda a dodgy way to do it but it was quick! :D

H

Hoover

I got a mate to hold the bars straight, i picked up the rear of the bike and another mate got under, slid the old shock out and slipped the new one in. I then put the rear down and we tightened it.

Yeeeeee haaaaaaaawwwwww.

Where is the cowboy smilie when you REALLY need one :eek:

B

bren

Yeeeeee haaaaaaaawwwwww.

Where is the cowboy smilie when you REALLY need one :eek:

hahaha

to make it worse- when i put the bike back down after my mate slipped the shock in upside down... we realised this by the fact the warning sticker was upside down and the shock was loose up the top lol.

So up went the bike again lol.

F

Fazed

hahaha

to make it worse- when i put the bike back down after my mate slipped the shock in upside down... we realised this by the fact the warning sticker was upside down and the shock was loose up the top lol.

So up went the bike again lol.

LOL, 2 clowns with a tool box ;) I can only imagine the conversations between you two :)

tzortn

Pillion

The problem is that would would need two dodgy friends to do it this way. Right now I only have one dodgy friend. :)

I think that I might be investing in a centerstand. I had one on ly last bike and it was useful for maintenance. I also bought an adjustable lowering link that I will install with the shock so i will need to lower the front end as well. That is one more reason to have the center stand.