FZ1 shock in FZ8

B

bren

I'm sure Yamaha uses 300kg gorillas with breaker bars on everything. Those bolts are only supposed to be 40Nm.

Yeah they were tough but I got a new set of Stanley sockets and they finally came off.. Lol. Took about an inch of skin off my right middle finger when they gave tho lol

F

Fazed

Well it is in and I love it! Nice and stiff over bumps and the ass end doesn't sink when I give it a hit!

We just loosened the bolts, my mate held the handle bars, I lifted the bike by the hangers and my mate took out the old shock and slipped in the new one.

Was pretty quick and well worth it!

I'm glad you are happy with it. I don't honestly know why the FZ1 lot bother replacing it, but as long as they are it's a cheap source for us.

B

bren

I'm glad you are happy with it. I don't honestly know why the FZ1 lot bother replacing it, but as long as they are it's a cheap source for us.

Seriously mate, if u wander over to the fz1!site, they loathe the shock...

I guess it's another case if greener pastures..

W

WARPTH

u guys do know the factory spring in the fz8 is a progressive rate spring yeah?...

bren i loved the side profile of it. after seeing it head on though, not so much.
thanx for the link though!

B

bren

u guys do know the factory spring in the fz8 is a progressive rate spring yeah?...

bren i loved the side profile of it. after seeing it head on though, not so much.
thanx for the link though!

All good sir. I'm gonna take it off either way. Just gotta find the stock bolts for the instrument cluster where it mounts....

If u want a crack at it, it's urs mate. Freebie.

W

WARPTH

All good sir. I'm gonna take it off either way. Just gotta find the stock bolts for the instrument cluster where it mounts....

If u want a crack at it, it's urs mate. Freebie.

very generous of you bren, thank you.
when its ready to go shoot us a pm of your bank account details so i can deposit some cash your way to cover postage and some beer for ya ;)

B

bren

very generous of you bren, thank you.
when its ready to go shoot us a pm of your bank account details so i can deposit some cash your way to cover postage and some beer for ya ;)
No probs mate, will likely stop by my local dealer today to get a couple more screws.. Farked if I know where I put the originals lol

GarryM

I dont know that the FZ1 is such a fantastic shock, I think it's just that the FZ8 shock is so badly set up that swapping them over makes a huge difference.

B

bren

No probs mate, will likely stop by my local dealer today to get a couple more screws.. Farked if I know where I put the originals lol

Went to my local dealer to get the bolts today but they had to order them. Should have them around the 4th of jan. will mail the screen after that for ya waprth.

kuwaiyert

Well the 2013 FZ8 have upgrade suspension for both front n back... aaaarrrghh..!!! I tot it will be like FZ1, 6 years without significant upgrade... bleargh... hahah..

Such a pain in ass when we are crackin our heads n pockets for the mods... but on a positive side it do bring us together n closer as we discuss on the technical issues etc.. haha

Cheers evry 1..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Jwood9

Since the fz1 shock Bolts right in, would aftermarket fz1 shocks work as well?

And if i purchase a fz1 shock what years will fit right in, or do all of them?

And if i purchase one off ebay what are the best brands of springs to put on, i would hope to do this before install...

Thanks much for any help!

F

Fazed

Since the fz1 shock Bolts right in, would aftermarket fz1 shocks work as well?

And if i purchase a fz1 shock what years will fit right in, or do all of them?

And if i purchase one off ebay what are the best brands of springs to put on, i would hope to do this before install...

Thanks much for any help!

Question 1: Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if they all had the same part number.

Question 2: Gen 2 FZ1 which I believe is 06 and onwards.

Question 3: I bought a Hagon shock (UK manufacturer) off ebay to replace the shock in my last bike that had turned to mush. I couldn't fault it and the build quality was awesome. For an extra 75 pounds you can customise the shock too. I'm not sure if FZ1 shocks are rebuildable but if they are not this is what I will replace it with when it wears out.

Last edited by a moderator: