• Regular Unleaded

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Super Unleaded

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Premium Unleaded

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters

lyric911

I certainly respect your ideas and opinions, and do not take it personally. That being said ,yes i agree that the 2 car test we performed does have its variables( but too time consuming and costly to add more identiacal cars to the test. However seeing real world effects of higher octane versus low octane(or cheap gas) has proven to me that carbon build up reduces performance and economy, so yes higher octane can result in better economy and performance over a stretch of time, as carbon will soak up a small percentage of your fuel injected ,thus reducing economy. Thank you for your comments ,and knowledge and keep up the good posts, but i will have to say you and I have found different results and opinions on this matter.

I'm glad we can disagree without being assholes about it. :)

That's one thing I dislike about disagreements online.

Sschwar4

Since it doesn't have the the high performance characteristics of it's race counterparts, regular is just fine.

You can tell if you are cheated at the pump on the R1. Sluggish, slow to respond.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Black Widow

Avid Rider
^^^^^ Thanks, but this has already been established and known. I don't think anybody is disputing that the FZ8 runs fine on 87 octane rating with 12:1 compression.:) By the way is that a 2011 or 2012 manual, i have heard that the 2012 has a larger fuel tank, but my dealer says it does not.

Sschwar4

^^^^^ Thanks, but this has already been established and known. I don't think anybody is disputing that the FZ8 runs fine on 87 octane rating with 12:1 compression.:) By the way is that a 2011 or 2012 manual, i have heard that the 2012 has a larger fuel tank, but my dealer says it does not.

This is an 11 manual, but they have the same size tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C

Camo

I wont ever run E10 in any bike I own... I think you'll struggle to find an Australian that trusts E10 as the fuel of choice for his pride and joy.
Not to agree or disagree with anyone, just a personal preference.

With much respect, you guys got me wrong

When I say cheap gas I am comparing the ethonal content between Cheveron with say Arco or Maverick. Not the ethonal content per octain rating at each gas station that is a seporate issue. If you spend .5 cents less on gas that uses more ethonal that gas that cost .5 cents more you are not gaining anything (more ethonal in cheap Arco gas). Also the gas will afect your engine.
As far as octain goes, octain is the resistance to detonation. For example
if you run lets say a 350 sb on 87 you will have to retard he timing to prevent detination (pinging). If you use higher 91 you can advance the timing. This will increase compression and hp. You have confused cheap Arco gas with octain rating

D

Deleted member 438

I wont ever run E10 in any bike I own... I think you'll struggle to find an Australian that trusts E10 as the fuel of choice for his pride and joy.
Not to agree or disagree with anyone, just a personal preference.

As far as I know, e10 is all we have in the chicagoland area. You guys are lucky.

TeleRob

my truck ( diesel Dmax LML)

Just got me a Dmax LBZ. Love it! only the 2500, so $80/fill

Also, I just filled up with Chevron 87 today, had previously been using 76 87 octane before, and I noticed a difference right away with the way my bike was performing. Maybe its just breaking in more since I only have 375 miles on it, but I could tell a difference, and I'm not going back. Cars, I don't notice any difference really.

Last edited: