Fuel Economy

Marco46

I love the look and ride of the Fazer 8. Found a great one for sale. The only thing is that I have a 50 mile round trip in London traffic.
What sort of fuel econmy should I be expecting?
Love the bike, but I don't want to spend all my hard earned at petrol stations.
Marco

Bajaedition

truthfully I get around 8 miles US per liter

I am a bigger guy and I do like to romp on it, but I also do long stretches down teh HWY
in traffic in town I cannot truly say

Woody146

Banned
Don't know if this helps...I get about 120 miles per tank ( before reserve tank with is 1 gallon)...I do a decent amount of city riding(san Francisco) and highway...(I live about 50 miles away).....so if I fill up by home..I can commute...ride around the city...and commute about halfway home before needing gas....and every tank I put in$14.00 and it's full to the line.

lance2448

I have a rather odd commute of stop an go traffic, with stretches of 85-100 mph freeway. I get about 37-40 mpg. When I go on trips with more consistent pacing, it's usually about 42-45 mpg.

Robcat

If your steady with the throttle, you'll probably see 60 mpg doing 70 mph on motorways. Town work plus some rural roads and 45-50 mpg is what you can expect.
60 mph will give you less mpg than doing 70 so I've found out while on the motorways (M1).

Accelerate/brake, accelerate/brake, is what costs ya the mpg.

mikefz8

If your steady with the throttle, you'll probably see 60 mpg doing 70 mph on motorways. Town work plus some rural roads and 45-50 mpg is what you can expect.
60 mph will give you less mpg than doing 70 so I've found out while on the motorways (M1).

Accelerate/brake, accelerate/brake, is what costs ya the mpg.

Basically if you somehow live in a perfect world where you don't have to brake or accelerate you should get 60 mpg....This is how I read your post :) This should include more factors than just braking/accelerating. As every riders riding style is as different as their respective body types and sizes.

I average 32-40 depending. The best part is you are not riding in a cage and have the thrill of the 2 wheel ride. :)

btw Robcat, I am not trying to be a d-bag with my response, I wish I got better mpg. But that is not why I ride in the first place.

cxa0897

Mike, he doesn't have the same gallon as us if he is cruising on the M1. ;)

I get 35-40 mpg depending how I ride. Add 20% to that for an imperial gallon.

Last edited:

Robcat

Yes in a perfect world, as if you use the bike for a touring means of transport, those mpg can be achieved easily.

I have a 07 R1 as my play toy, which i love, but wanted something else to slow me down with more comfort. Had R1's for the past 10 years and i found myself getting stupidly fast on the road. But theres another side what's creeping into my biking needs and thats to just chill on a bike, take it easy. The R1 doesn't like doing slow, has anger management issues if you just want steady. Cracking bike at Cadwell park circuit mind you.

So that's why I got the Fazer 8, but don't get me wrong, ive ohlins front springs ready to get slapped in the front forks, I've raised the rear 40mm and fitted a FZ1 rear shocker, all to make it handle that bit better with throwing it around and a Scorpion Serket Carbon can, to help that mid range on the engine.
Ive taken it to south Germany, been in the Austrian and Italian alps and got sick to the teeth of hairpin's with having some amazing roads.
But the fazer, let's me turn off and will do quite respectful mpg when needed. Given the price of a gallon of petrol in the uk of about £6 (9.44$), I'm happy with it.

NoNine4me

You can count on an average of 40 statute miles per gallon. Hard riding will dip into the 30's, and conservative riding will put you in the high 40s.

9 Lives

It's easier to use the metric system, a liter is a universal measurement, no difference between a Canadian liter and a UK liter. Maybe some day the US will catch up with the rest of the world. ;)