Front Wheel Removal

Gem rod

Hi Everyone

After 9000 miles time for front tyre change. I purchased the cheapest front paddock stand I could find fro a dealer. I already had a rear stand that works pretty well since I service my chain fairly regularly.

The brake pads came out with relatively little difficulty although one of the cotter pins was hidden and I had to rotate the retaining pin to get access to it. A fiddly job as there is hardly any room to insert even the smallest narrow nose pliers.

The next problem was the ABS sensor was seized in it's housing. Some gently tapping with a hammer and screwdriver failed to remove it and so I had no choice but to remove the wheel with it still in position although I did undo as much cable as I could to allow the sensor housing plate to drop free so that I could work on removing the sensor unhindered. Eventually after some more tapping and lubing it came free. Obviously lack of grease on installation led to this problem.

The ABS sensor should have a black plastic rim around the base of the cylindrical sensor but this had sheared off in trying to force the whole thing out. The black plastic is now lodged in the aluminium housing. See photo.

[/URL][/IMG]

My only worry now is whether the sensor is actually working or not. I was careful not to touch the metal cylinder part, but whether the whole exertion has damaged it I have no idea. I should find out later today when I refit the wheel. Worst case is that I will have to purchase a new sensor on ebay; apparently they plug in just under the tank and so that should not be too painful. If anyone has any experience of this I would appreciate some information.

The stand I purchased was not quite fit for purpose. The top of the stand was too high and would not allow the wheel pin to be fully removed. I had to improvise by strapping some rubber around the prongs to gain another 1cm in height. Fiddly but it did the job.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Refit of wheel to follow!

Gem rod

All back to normal now. The ABS sensor does appear to be working so they cannot be that sensitive to abuse.

Trickiest thing was putting the brake pads back in. When you try and feed the pad retaining pin through the spring cover the pads drop further into the caliper! Putting your fingers at the rear of the pads and pushing them back into line works; use a torch to locate the position of the retaining pin. Also useful to see tiny holes for the cotter pins. Fiddly but do-able.

Lesson is use a decent paddock stand and not the cheapest!