Front/Rear Stands vs Center Stands?

teemo

I just purchased my FZ8 yesterday and I was wondering.. are you guys mostly using the Rear Stands or the Center Stands? It seems to me that the center stands would be fine since it raises both the front and the rears simultaneously.

Is it difficult to get the fz8 up on the center stand? Should I not bother and just buy spool sliders and grab a rear stand?

Künstler

Mine has main stand.Its original Yamaha part.Cost about $175.-
For me useful because,its better to let the bike in winter horizontal in garage.
Also helps when I wash or oil the chains.
Mine was installed very good,easy to use(Yes there isnt any holder accept the seat belt to hold,so I use the small back footpeg!..),but still hard to shut-Close self!.I must help with my foot..:)
I didnt installed roller protector but original engine guard.It helpt me one time when a stupid taxi driver bumped me when I wait on the red light.:)

Enjoy with it.Is a nice bike...:)

Celal

Last edited:

hypo

Mine didn't come with a centerstand, and I had a pitbull rear stand for working on the chain. centerstands are very helpful, especially if you have to store it during the winter time. they take up no space, and you can work on your bike wherever you happen to be.

kwrose66

I use a rear stand without the spools without any issue. Mine has L shaped brackets that lift the rear by the swingarm.

diz

I didnt installed roller protector but original engine guard.It helpt me one time when a stupid taxi driver bumped me when I wait on the red light.:)

Enjoy with it.Is a nice bike...:)

Celal

Haven't you some pics after the crash? I have same engine guard, and I'm curious how does it work :)

Last edited:

Künstler

Diz,
I shoot only pictures from the broken parts :Left Mirror (Sorry but original yamaha mirror is s..t!-Plastic part was broken like a pumpkin.Inside of its empty and stick with a cheap foam like sponge!),left hand clutch and twisted foot clutch.
Okey accident wasnt so hard,because taxi driver kicked me from my right side ,when I was waiting for the green light.I was fall down to the left side ,exact middle of the tramvay rails.I was lucky in that time wasnt any tram on the way..:).So,when I checked the bike after this accident,I was glad because I didnt see any scratchs gas tank and also engine guard...:)

I`ll upload images from that broken parts.

Künstler

I talk about the mounted one.

I tried to upload images,but seems not possible now over my pc.Warning:Upload of file failed.!
I`ll try via URL..

kwrose66

What stand is that? I think Pitbull and T-Rex make those but not sure...

I don't know who makes it. When I saw the prices of new stands I laughed and starting looking around on craigslist. Found a front and rear stand for 45$.

mckshred

Hypo has it right - Pitbull makes a great stand, if you go that way.

When I watched a video of a guy putting his bike on a front wheel stand and rear wheel stand. He had to first slide a 2x4 under the sidestand. Then carefully tilt the bike upright from the rear, and insert the wheel stand and push down to lift the wheel. Same act from the front end of the bike for the front wheel stand. That's great when you are in your own garage. But what about when you don't have your stands with you? I also didn't want to have to try to 'balance' it prior to getting it on the wheel stand.

Using the Centerstand
  • Stand on the left side of the bike (with Sidestand down if you like).
  • Put your right hand on the frame supports that hold the passenger footpeg.
  • Slowly push the bike to the straight upright stance (not leaned over like with the Sidestand down), Simultaneously - Push the Centerstand down so it touches both 'feet'. You will feel both feet touch the ground and prevent it from tipping away from you. Keep you foot engaged on the Centerstand
  • Keep pressure on the Centerstand so you can still feel both 'feet' touching the ground
  • Then simultaneously use a lift motion with your right hand hand and press down heavily with your foot on the Centerstand.

To dismount the bike from the Centerstand, mount the bike and push it forward.

It's permanent, always goes with my bike. it gets the rear wheel off the ground and most importantly this summer it will prevent the bike from melting into the pavement with using the Sidestand.

Last edited:
H

Hoover

I have a used my Pitbull rear stand for years, both with spools and without.
When I pull the front wheel off, I have found using a hydraulic bottle jack under the front of the engine with various blocks of hard wood has worked on many different bikes.
I have not however, tried it on the 8 yet. Have to wait till spring.

teemo

Thanks for the feedback guys. On my previous bike I got some cheapo stands off of craigslist.. they worked and supported the bike fine but they did start to bend after awhile. I think this time around I'll just get a nice set of pitbulls or something of similar quality so I can keep it for a long time without worrying about bending.

Künstler

Doom,
actually,I hate this kind of guards..:(..They covers the beautiful shape of the engine.I would like to have sliders.They are small and seems more elegant.But two of my friends who made bad accident,told me,how turns the bike over that sliders till engine stops.
So I decided to have this one.Its still seems better as some other bikes (Like choppers-Some choppers guards seems jail windows..:)).

I wish you all nice,sunny days,....

Celal

Here are some more images from my bike.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/351/mybike02.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3773/mybike03.jpg

D

DJK1505

I really like the engine gaurd, but think I would like the race/ crash cage better. But your cage looks cool as hell man!!!

I have always used the front and rear stands, I have never had a bike with the center stand, until I just purchased an 01 fz1. I def like having the stand with the bike everywhere I go, but I really dont want to put it on the 8. I have never had to work on my bike on the side of the road, so I could not speak of the convience of having it incase of an emergency. I think if its not on it, just get the front and rear stand, most likely you can find good ones for cheaper than you can add the center stand to your bike. JMHO

hypo

I raise and lower my rear on a pitbull without the wife helping out. as long as you line up your spools right, and lift/lower GENTLY to balance, it goes up and down without a problem.

minja714

that engine guard actually looks really awesome. im impressed how flush it sits on the bike. is that OEM yamaha?

this image is way too big still, also click on the image icon and put the url in to post pictures.

or [ img ] url [ /img ]

Künstler

Hi Minja,
First many thanks for this URL helps.I still dont know why didnt work with me this image upload-URL issue.I did several versions,resized till 320x200 but I had always warning : - Upload file error - .Actually I`m computer 3d artist,so I have a bit knowladge about this simple issues..:)

Okey,yes,to shoot technical objects with flash,makes some interesting results..:)

This is original Yamaha guard.Its perfect covers with the engine shapes,and dont disturp my eyes.Here is the link from Turkish site.

Yamaha Motor Türkiye - Orijinal Aksesuar Katalo

I wish you all ,dry ,empty roads,and sunshine..Just now we have here in Istanbul snow...:(