Front fender about to fall off!! **READ**

mano1192

Wanted to give you guys a heads up. I was washing my bike today and noticed that 3 of 4 bolts holding on my front fender were gone! AND the 4th bolt was 1/2 way off!

I went to the dealer to get some replacement bolts and he said the computer had updated part numbers for these bolts, he explained that they do that when they find something wrong with the old bolts.

I put the new ones in and am going to swing by the dealer in the morning for a quick inspection, but there are these rubber washers the bolts tighten into. I believe this is why they are vibrating loose. I am going to through some locktight on them and crank em down good in the morning.

Ill post more tomorrow after the dealer takes a quick look, but man that could have had me kissing asphalt if it came off and into my wheel! I winder if that happened to someone else and thats why they updated the bolts.

Anyways check yalls bikes before your next ride, this is a dangerous issue, make sure your bolts are tight and may be worth throwing some locktight on there to be safe! :eek:

mano1192

Quick update - I didnt get a chance to hit the dealership today as Im watching my son. I will swing by tomorrow for the inspection.

trimyantidrug

mano just wondering what dealership in town you talked to about it. if it was ridenow or yahama of las vegas. cause i def going to look into it.

Speedo007

Just checked mine, all good. I think what might have happened is the guys at the dealer just put the nuts in the holes by hand went to install the rest of the wheel and forgot to come back and tighten them...with the rubber washers they have, if tightened properly I think even a Harley wouldn't break em loose.

mano1192

It was Yamaha of Las Vegas. I just stopped in there and they torqued them down and threw some locktight on there. No worries and of corse no charge, they are awesome over there.

I noticed the same washer/bolt combo on the back fender also, these were tight but I crancked on them a little more just to be safe.

mano1192

Just checked mine, all good. I think what might have happened is the guys at the dealer just put the nuts in the holes by hand went to install the rest of the wheel and forgot to come back and tighten them...with the rubber washers they have, if tightened properly I think even a Harley wouldn't break em loose.

Could very well be the case, but that wouldnt explain why the factory updated the bolts. Just be safe and check them from time to time. Can never been too safe on the street! ;)

PS. There was a dude in there with a R1, he loved the FZ8!! Kept telling me how difficult the R1 is in manual mode. I havent ridden one yet, but sounds like the FZ is such a better ride :cool: