Front end conversion

whats going on guys

So this weekend i'm going to start my front end conversion to a basically truimph street triple front end, almost. I ended up getting a sweet deal on a OEM triumph upper cowling for $46 shipped. Instead of sticking with the brits headlights that are mounted to the frame i'm going to mount them on the triple tree so when i turn i can see ahead of the turn. As for the headlights i will be going to PIAA 510's (4") or maybe the 520 (6") still havn't decided. I'll keep the forum updated with the progress in case someone else will want to do this. If anyone is wondering why, it's not because i dont like the front end on the 8 just seems to big. Love the look from the side but from the front just freaking huge. After this is done I'll be selling my OEM headlight and all parts that go with it, if anyone needs one.

update 13MAR2013

so finally got to do some work through out the last couple of days.

made a plate to hole the OEM cluster. made from abs plastic ordered of amazon.

before-

after-

then got the cluster mounted on the plate. (a lot more difficult then i ever though it would)

then today made the brackets and got all the kinks out are far as where i want it and got it mounted.

hopefully tomorrow get the light mounted and adjusted.

Last edited:

thach1130

Instead of sticking with the brits headlights that are mounted to the frame i'm going to mount them on the triple tree so when i turn i can see ahead of the turn.

Not really. You lean into your turn, putting the light on the triple tree doesn't really help. Unlike a car the light doesn't turn into the direction you're heading.

F

Fazed

My last bike had the headlight attached to the front forks, other than slow speed manoeuvring you don't notice it. Interesting choice with the street triple. Photos are a must when you complete it.

H

Hoover

If you have seen my pics of my Bandit fighter, you will know I'm a big fan of double headlights. IMHO, that is the classic look for a streetfighter.
I'm curious how this will look on the 8. I have a set of doubles sitting in my basement.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
My last bike had the headlight attached to the front forks, other than slow speed manoeuvring you don't notice it.

I was thinking the same thing, besides, when you go around a turn, you are actually turning the handlebars slightly the opposite direction of the turn...

After this is done I'll be selling my OEM headlight and all parts that go with it, if anyone needs one.

I would like to be first considered for the headlight. Would help with my retrofitting if I had one already. Let me know when you are ready to sell.

F

Fazed

I would like to be first considered for the headlight. Would help with my retrofitting if I had one already. Let me know when you are ready to sell.

Looking at having one setup ready to go for a quick turn around??

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Looking at having one setup ready to go for a quick turn around??

I want to try to keep everything MTO (Made to Order) since there are so many options and combinations that are possible, but it would be nice to be able to charge a "core deposit" for the headlight, and after the customer swaps out their stock light for the retrofitted hotness, they can send it to me, and I will refund the deposit pending conditions of their headlight. Plus, sometimes people just want to get an extra headlight and have the stock housing for switching back.

when my oem headlight is ready for sale you'll be first on the list.

wife has me cleaning the house so not sure how much work i'll get done tonight.

yea kind of but i ordered a set of PIAA 510 xtream white driving. they are a 4" light and i'll be leaving the guards on and with a cluster cover hopefully looks badass. thanks for the link BTW

BIGpanda

How do you plan on mounting the piaa's? I think I'm gonna do what this guy did on the "Gonzo" shit looks tough with that bar around it.