Front Brake Ceased?

FZ8Panda

So today I got mine bar end mirrors and everything was going smooth till I ran into a problem with the right side oem mirror. The bolt somehow ceased and I could not for the life of me get it off. Long story short after trying hammering it with a socket wrench on there it eventually broke off.

So kinda bummed about that afterwards and then I noticed that the front brake lever was hard and it would only let out just a little bit. I tried to move the bike forward and noticed the pads have not eased out like it should and it wouldn't budge much.

So wtf?! How the hell does the front brakes cease from storage for about a month? It's been in doors out of the cold but the room isn't heated. Could the cold weather have an effect? I'm just really bummed tonight after all this. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

97audia4

So today I got mine bar end mirrors and everything was going smooth till I ran into a problem with the right side oem mirror. The bolt somehow ceased and I could not for the life of me get it off. Long story short after trying hammering it with a socket wrench on there it eventually broke off.

So kinda bummed about that afterwards and then I noticed that the front brake lever was hard and it would only let out just a little bit. I tried to move the bike forward and noticed the pads have not eased out like it should and it wouldn't budge much.

So wtf?! How the hell does the front brakes cease from storage for about a month? It's been in doors out of the cold but the room isn't heated. Could the cold weather have an effect? I'm just really bummed tonight after all this. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

the reason the right side is so stuck on is because its reverse threaded, found that out when the know it all in me broke it off trying to loosen it the usual way.:eek:

Front brake seizure I cant help much with but I dont see how sitting for only a month or two could do that, my bike sits in my non heated garage for months at a time and its never done that.

FZ8Panda

Sigh, I had a feeling it was reverse threaded but it didn't budge either way. Too late now that it snapped off.

I have never heard of brakes ceasing either from just sitting in storage. Looks like I will have to take the calipers off and see what happens after I push the pads back in. I'm just baffled. Rear brake is fine. Just the front.

MotoZen

Could you have gotten water in the system somehow? That would certainly freeze at these temperatures we've been seeing in our region.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

FZ8Panda

New china levers? Make sure the plunger is not preloaded or bolts is too tight.

Had aftermarket levers on for a quite a bit. Checked for preload and bolt is not too tight.

Could you have gotten water in the system somehow? That would certainly freeze at these temperatures we've been seeing in our region.

I was thinking this but I'm wondering how? I have never touched the brakes aside from changing the lever. But if there is somehow water in the system, how do I go about fixing it? Wait for warmer temps? I was thinking if I should take the calipers off and use a clamp to push the pads back in to see if that gets stuff moving... Sorry, I have never worked on bikes before so I'm bit of a noob. This issue has me stumped.

FZ8Panda

Found the problem. Don't ask me how my brake line ended up like that? It was pinched and wasn't letting the fluid go through. Effin weird seeing as how I never touched the line since I bought the bike and the front brake has been working flawlessly. First pic is how it's supposed to be. The rest is how it was before I fixed it. Glad it's all fixed now though! :D

MotoZen

That is odd. Glad it's fixed though.

Keach

Maybe you hit the line or the brake reservoir when you were attempting to remove the right mirror. Glad you found it and it was easily corrected.

FZ8Panda

Yea, that's prob what happened. Still weird though cause wouldn't that shift my lever position also? since it's all one unit? I dunno, something to keep in my mind next time. I'm just glad it's fixed and my dopie self didn't mess anything else up. lol. Can't wait to test out the bar end mirrors. :)

Keach

Yea, that's prob what happened. Still weird though cause wouldn't that shift my lever position also? since it's all one unit? I dunno, something to keep in my mind next time. I'm just glad it's fixed and my dopie self didn't mess anything else up. lol. Can't wait to test out the bar end mirrors. :)

Don't be too hard on yourself...if I hadn't read about the reverse thread bolt when I was looking at mirror alternatives I would have done the same thing! When I was changing it and putting the other bolt for the new mirrors in I had to keep thinking about it lol...I felt slow when the old "righty tighty lefty loosy" didn't apply...

socal

it is just a clamp on the bar, so when you were torquing the other clamp you spun in just a little, also make sure you didnt spin the bar at all.