Free/Reversible Suspension Mod

ramrod

I did a search on the board and saw that no one never brought up the possibility of raising the fork tubes to lighten the suspension. I remember doing this on my old 919 and thought i'd give it a try on the FZ8.

The mod is simple, can be done in 15 minutes and is totally reversible. Here is the info from webbikeworld and 919 forum.

*** DISCLAIMER: Changing suspension characteristics or not fully tightening hardware can lead to unstable handling and possible injury, perform MOD at own risk. ***

Tools:
Metric Square/Tape Measure or Ruler
Allen Head Sockets and ratchet (preferably) or Allen Wrenches
Torque Wrench
Rear Stand

1. Place bike and level it on rear stand.

2. Locate the Upper and Lower Bracket Pinch bolts. Using Allen socket, loosen bottom pinch bolts on ONE side of the bracket.

3. Once loose, carefully and slowly loosen upper bracket pinch bolt a little at a time. The fork will rise up a bit.

4. Measure the fork tube (gold portion) until it is raised 10mm from the upper bracket.

5. Tighten Upper pinch bolt 19 ft/lbs and Lower pinch bolt 17 ft/lbs.

6. Repeat steps on the other side.

After finishing it, I took the bike for a spin and it made a world of a difference. Take caution the first time you ride it because it drops the front end a bit. If anyone tries it please post your reaction on this tread, thanks.

D

Deleted member 438

I dropped mine 5mm when I put the fz1 forks on...I have been thinking of going to 10mm.

GarryM

I dropped mine 5mm at the start of this year chasing a bit more front grip from the stock tyres. I got a little bit more grip but the biggest change was making the steering a bit quicker. The downside is a tendency to slap on rough roads. I was happy with the results I got. I dont think I'd go to a 10mm drop with the goat tracks that pass as roads around here unless I fitted a steering damper.