Fred'Z8 build thread

Fred'Z8

Ok, finally got the bike where I want it except for the suspension. Guess it is time to post up the build so other members can get an idea of what the FZ8 can truly be with a little work. I also hopes this helps give people some ideas for mods that they may had wanted to do but not sure how it would turn out. It will take a while to post all of the information and pictures so I will answer any questions as I can. This is what she looked like when I brought her home. Out of the crate with no miles. My wife's FZ6 is in the background.

001.jpg

Fred'Z8

First mods were protection. Sato fork sliders, Sato frame sliders, and Sato rear stand spools.Since I have the center stand I really don't use the spools but they do give a good amount of protection for the swingarm. The front axle is not drilled or hollow to allow any kind of fork sliders to be mounted. However, with a lathe, you can machine and thread a 6mm hole in each end of the axle and mount the fork sliders.

027.jpg029.jpg030.jpg

Fred'Z8

Next up was the OE center stand and Evotech radiator guard. As the wife and I do a ton of long distance riding and have been known to knock out 1,000 miles in a weekend it is much easier to do any maintenance needed on the road with that. The radiator guard is a life saver if you ever pick up a rock and sling it into the radiator.

021.jpg028.jpg

Fred'Z8

Just for looks I installed the Evotech fender eliminator next. Also, due to the fact that the wife and I ride so much, comfort was a big thing. The angle and the material of the factory seat makes the bike almost unbearable on a long distance ride. So, factory seats sent to Seth Laam and let him work his magic on them. Night and day difference. Seth has built many seats for me and I have never been disappointed. The bike is truly all day comfortable now. Since there is no wind protection I also installed the Givi windscreen to help knock down on a little bit of the wind on the chest and helmet. I also added a Targa tank bra to keep the tank from being scratched up on the days that we went canyon carving. Another thing to help with looks was to eliminate the rear pegs. An Evotech muffler bracket was installed for that.

018.jpg021.jpg015.jpg016.jpg

Last edited:

Fred'Z8

Next up was luggage. We always pack pretty light so no need for side bags but a top case is a must for commuting and trips. I had a friend of mine in Canada order me the European top case mounts and a Givi top case was installed. This along with the Givi tank lock mount and small tank lock bag gives me enough room for a pretty long haul.

026.jpg032.jpg

Fred'Z8

The performance mods that were made to the bike truly turned it from a mild mannered all around bike to a beast. I sent the ECU to Don Guhl and let him work his magic with the fuel maps, ignition timing, fuel cut, and removal of all of the factory restriction. That along with a complete de-cat, Graves pair valve removal plates, and Graves carbon slip on exhaust has made this bike the way it should have came from the factory. It is smooth as silk at any throttle opening and you had better be holding on if you open it up in any of the lower gears.

016.jpg

Fred'Z8

Next up is creature comforts and well, just plain bling. I hate the feel of the factory levers so a set of Pazzo levers was a must. Grip puppies and a Vista Cruise throttle lock make long distance riding very easy. Twin Powerlet ports allow the ability to run a USB port and heated gear. A Datel voltmeter was installed to keep an eye on the battery and charging system condition. Anyone that has ever had a battery take a crap on them while on a long ride know why a voltmeter is a must. A Fuzeblock FZ1 power distribution center is the cleanest and easiest way to power any electronics that you might want to run and was installed for that reason. As we have been trying to ride in every state in the US we decided last year to invest in an actual motorcycle specific trailer due to my wife having some back problems. We have wheel docks mounted on the trailer. They work excellent as when you lock the bike in the cradle, all you have to do to make sure it is secure is to strap the wheel in the dock. The suspension is never compressed. To keep the rear of the bike from bouncing around I milled some plate and fabricated a couple of brackets to use d-rings and straps for that purpose. This system has worked excellent for more than 5,000 miles, the bikes have never moved when secured like this.

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 115

Fred'Z8

The last mods were of course to replace the worn out factory tires at approximately 7,000 miles. A new set of Michelin PR2 tires were installed and at that time I put on blue rim tape and blue valve stem caps just for the bling factor.

017.jpg027.jpg

Fred'Z8

I have done so much to this bike that I may have missed something but I am satisfied with her as of now with the exception of the suspension. I also miss the wind protection on longer rides that you get from a fully faired bike, but used for what she was made for, such as canyon carving and commuting, this bike is truly amazing. Here is how she sits now. Currently at 8,100 miles so time to install the new air filter, plugs, change the oil and filter, and adjust the throttle bodies. Just washed her up so after the service, she will be ready for commuting duty. I hope you guys like the mods I've done and have some ideas for your bikes. With all that said I just recently picked up a new Honda Interceptor because of the wind protection. I have owned many Interceptors over the years and I always seem to gravitate back to them for the comfort they afford and the performance. A little heavier than the FZ8 on paper but it really handles just about as well. At this time I am trying to decide to keep this one or not. Seems like that is always how it works, get the bike like you want it and then sell it and get another. Anyway, if I decide to part with her I will post it up on this forum first. Enjoy........I know I have.

015.jpg016.jpg022.jpg018.jpg020.jpg

Last edited:

npeifer2308

Nice post and bike. I like everything you have done except for the tank bra. Never been a fan of them, they are fugly IMO but to each there own. I really like those twin power ports, they almost look stock. Might steal that idea from you, along with the cruise throttle lock.

Fred'Z8

Nice post and bike. I like everything you have done except for the tank bra. Never been a fan of them, they are fugly IMO but to each there own. I really like those twin power ports, they almost look stock. Might steal that idea from you, along with the cruise throttle lock.

Thanks for the comments. The brackets to mount the powerlet ports to the handlebars can be purchased at twisted throttle. The Vista cruise can be mounted by removing the throttle housing and drilling a small hole and using a set screw to keep it from rotating. I spun up an aluminum nut on the lathe for that purpose. I also spun up a couple of nuts for mounting the powerlet so that I could use the rubber boots. Ill get some better pics in the next few days to demonstrate what I am talking about.

Bagman

Great post! Two comments, just for fun....

1) Nice tank bra, 'brah.
2) Holy VOLTmeter, batman!

Otherwise, I am very curious to hear more details (re: cost & order specifics) about your custom seat! It looks very comfortable.

Fred'Z8

Great post! Two comments, just for fun....

1) Nice tank bra, 'brah.
2) Holy VOLTmeter, batman!

Otherwise, I am very curious to hear more details (re: cost & order specifics) about your custom seat! It looks very comfortable.

Seth Laam does amazing work. He has performed his magic on many seats for the wife and I. For him to custom build the front seat and re-cover the rear seat to match runs $350.00. Now, that sounds like a lot but if you look at how much an aftermarket seat runs, this is really cheap. And, he uses the stock pan so you know that it will fit correctly when done. The bonus for his work is that if you keep the bike for a long period of time, all of his seats include a lifetime warranty.