frayed clutch cable?

07cobaltLScoupe

well yesterday while out on the bike i found my clutch cable is damn near frayed all the way through right at the lever, no warning or anything. i started to notice it not quite disengaging the clutch all the way and then looked at it once i parked. so needless to say i milked it home without trying to shift too much and now it sits in the garage.

anybody else have any issues like this? stock levers as well. bike has 41xx miles on it. i'll call my somewhat local dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say but i won't be riding until i get it fixed.

Fazerboy66

Does anyone got any tips and tricks for threading the new clutch cable through the engine? Am I right in thinking this is a major job with the tank and airbox off?

Blackfin

Does anyone got any tips and tricks for threading the new clutch cable through the engine? Am I right in thinking this is a major job with the tank and airbox off?

I just did mine recently. I didn't take the tank off, just lifted it. The airbox definitely needs to come out. Once that's done threading it up through the frame to the left side bar is easy. It's a bit fiddly to thread it under the wiring harness on the left side, where the "bend" in the cable is because the thing is so stiff but it can be done. One of my biggest issues with that job was the clamp down at the engine; a loop that holds the end of the clutch cable in position that's held in place by two clutch cover bolts; I found it tough to get a wrench in there to tighten the nut. Eventually I found a way to pull that bracket back into the area under the tank enough to get a wrench on it.

07cobaltLScoupe

when i did mine i kept the old cable in as much as i could until i had the new one in, that way i had it ran the same way.haven't had any issues since and i also filed the edges of the clutch lever down where the cable attaches just in case there were any burs. no clue why it frayed but yes now i make sure to keep it lubed at the lever