Frame sliders

krillz

Frame sliders. Do they really protect the bike? I have them on my Supermoto and the DO work. When you look at the Supermoto bike you can even tell that they would do the job. The FZ8 framesliders do not. So....... do they? Thanks

Skully

I just installed a set of the Yamaha frame sliders which seem pretty stout. Hopefully I won't be testing them anytime soon...

F

Fazed

I've been told that the main aim of frame sliders is to prevent damage to the frame of the bike in case of an off. If it protects the engine casings and other parts then it is a bonus.

As there are so many differing styles, position and lengths of frame sliders it would be impossible to make a general statement about the ability of them to protect the engine anyway.

Guillaume

Frame sliders. Do they really protect the bike? I have them on my Supermoto and the DO work. When you look at the Supermoto bike you can even tell that they would do the job. The FZ8 framesliders do not. So....... do they? Thanks

I laid my bike on the ground once. A very assisted laying but the frame sliders took most of the hit. My bar end and the folded footpeg were the other 2 contact points. My gear shifter bent inward a little. I was thinking about removing the sliders that same morning, thinking I was free of dropping a bike now... I won't even consider removing them now, I think they really worked.

AlCab

Longer ones work better than shorter ones and the Yamaha sliders look to be on the shorter end. I got the T-Rex sliders because of their length and you can replace just the outer piece if you lay your bike over. You can see them in this pic.

krillz

I laid my bike on the ground once. A very assisted laying but the frame sliders took most of the hit. My bar end and the folded footpeg were the other 2 contact points. My gear shifter bent inward a little. I was thinking about removing the sliders that same morning, thinking I was free of dropping a bike now... I won't even consider removing them now, I think they really worked.

Thanks. Thats what I wanted to know.

J

jer

I bought the Shogun frame sliders at first and didn't know anything about the engine guards and didn't have the money. After winter and watching FZ8 Panda's YouTube walk around video a few times, I decided to upgrade to the Yamaha engine guard and I think it is less noticeable than the sliders. It does add at least 8-10 lbs though. Overall, I am happy I made the switch.

HeresMyMind

Mine have saved my bikes from simple set downs in parking lots or friends bumping into the bike on a hill. 25$ delvin ebay specials saved all my nice engine covers!

-B

Mikz86ta

In general they help in event of a lay down on a flat surface. But anything can happen if it is not flat ground.
When I bought my FZ, it had Rimoza sliders. Nice billet aluminum and fit well, but they didn't protrude a lot. Never. Laid it down but my worry was if I did, the radiator would get damaged.
Found a deal on the Yamaha OEM sliders. The week I out them on I had an abrupt stop parking accident in which I was off balance, steering was off center and my leg buckled. The new longer OEM sliders did a good job. My shift lever bent slightly and bar end got a scuff.

sirdyza

I went down with the Shogun sliders and totaled my bike. The bike slid for maybe 5 feet (almost stopped in time, but hit gravel :-( ). The engine didn't have any markings and the slider was still in good condition.

The bike was totaled due to the damage to the front end and swing arm.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I had Pruig Pro's that cracked my frame, tis the reason my bike got written off by the insurance company.

RubberSideDown

Woodcraft Technologies has a set for the FZ1. Lucky for us cupcakes our frames our the same, I spoke to the same crafter over the period of my order and install to make sure the FZ1 kit would work for our FZ8 ( yes i did this for us :p ). I will post pics of before and after a crunchy lowside. Purely function, luckily some aesthetic. Now the bad or good news depeneding on how much you like protection, mods, and spending money. Frame sliders alone wont cut it forever. I happened to get very lucky, my radiator was saved as well as the engine, I rode home and then to work. Im beefing up further, just puchased Woodcraft 6mm spools for my swingarm now looking at dropping 300 bucks into engine case covers from G&B a U.K. company or R&G also our bros across the pond. I am looking and getting front and rear axel kits built by Woodcraft as well and i will see if the FZ1 kit is once again applicable.