flip plate

dart1963

Super Moderator
reminder

I'll let this one stand as a "what if" thread, general knowledge always welcomed... but will remind everyone of the rules of this forum:

Disallowed specific topics
We're all about freedom of speech, however there are some topics that don't belong here, such as:

Running from the cops.
Police bashing/slander.
Breaking the law.
No satanic threads/links etc.
Politics. Unless posted in the Underground Politics area
Any form or racism PERIOD.

Have a nice day

Rotaryknight

I would say that if you get caught with flip up plates, its going to be a hefty fine and probably jail time if it is a federal felony.

IanLeMasters

Best bet is to look up your states motorcycle restrictions and it should be listed as to what your tag requirements are as well as penalties for not following. FL was pretty easy to find. I don't know about your state.

atxthefons

Why exactly do you want a flip plate? Are you really doing that crazy of stuff on the public roads?

no nothing like that. i dont run lights and i have a toll tag. i just think its super kool. like some james bond stuff. but im not interested in jail time for modding my bike for fun. i manly posted this to see if anyone on here got caught with one. thanks for the info brothers.

sorry about the rules guys didnt really think of this as breaking the law but it is so, my bad wont happen agin. you can delete the thread if you want, no worries.

Larry P

Trying to teach people to use the resources on the internet! I searched for "flip plate penalties Texas" and found this: (TLDR: Illegal- 2nd degree misdemeanor (aka arrested for possession alone) but elevated to the next degree if used in a traffic violation or crime.) AKA don't get one!

SECTION 1. Amends Chapter 504, Transportation Code, by adding Section 504.946, as follows:

Section 504.496. LICENSE PLATE FLIPPER. (a) Defines "license plate flipper."

(b) Provides that a person commits an offense if the person possesses a license plate flipper as defined in Subsection (a).

(c) Provides that an offense under Subsection (b) is a Class B misdemeanor, except that:

(1) an offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person distributes, manufactures, sells, or otherwise furnishes a license plate flipper to another;

(2) if the person uses a license plate flipper before, during, or after the commission of an offense to avoid identification or detection for the offense for which the license plate flipper was used, the offense is one category higher than the most serious offense that was committed, and if the most serious offense is a Class A misdemeanor, the offense is a state jail felony, except that if the most serious offense is a felony of the first degree, the offense is a felony of the first degree.

atxthefons

YES THANK YOU, this is just what i needed to see. basically unless your james bond this is a very bad idea to do to your bike. thanks for the info larry.

dart1963

Super Moderator
wow, so you couldn't even do a show bike with one.... looks like they covered every aspect in that one law...

as I said, great info... no need to delete the thread.

reALIGNed

I'll let this one stand as a "what if" thread, general knowledge always welcomed... but will remind everyone of the rules of this forum:

Disallowed specific topics
We're all about freedom of speech, however there are some topics that don't belong here, such as:

Running from the cops.
Police bashing/slander.
Breaking the law.
No satanic threads/links etc.
Politics. Unless posted in the Underground Politics area
Any form or racism PERIOD.

Have a nice day

Excuse me, but how many folks here openly admit to deleting the catalytic converter? And many responses on how to do it "correctly". Fine if its for track use (off road category). Yet, nothing about BREAKING THE LAW is said :eek:, and in most states, its a felony.

eru000

Excuse me, but how many folks here openly admit to deleting the catalytic converter? And many responses on how to do it "correctly". Fine if its for track use (off road category). Yet, nothing about BREAKING THE LAW is said :eek:, and in most states, its a felony.

I'm sure we can all tell the difference between a misdemeanor/felony, and what amounts to a parking ticket. Deleting a cat is simply a failed inspection, and the most they'll do (at least the first time) is tell you to fix it.

thach1130

Nope, not a felony. Virginia do not have emission inspection for motorcycle nor any noise ordinance. Exhaust can be as loud as you want. Removal of catalytic converter is perfectly fine.

9 Lives

I think the point that realigned made was that there are plenty other threads that talk about "illegal" stuff and nothing has been mentioned about it.

thach1130

I think it's because it depends on the severity of the act. Cat removal is a mere fix-it ticket whereas flip-plate could be use for illegal activity such as avoiding speeding camera, EZ-pass camera, avoiding law enforcement, robberies, etc. I'm sure if we started discussing about pot growing or distribution, the moderator will have to chime in at certain point.

JSP

Administrator
Yeah, as thach said... There is a line.

We dont want to be ridiculous and shut a thread down because you didnt use a turn signal. ;)

But I think we all as adults know what we should and should not be talking about/condoning.

And we arent saying you were condoning the flip plate. You asked a question, and that is all good. Dart just wanted to point out that we cant allow (for liability reasons), condoning the use of those types of things.

I would hope everyone can understand where the line is.

:welcome:

thach1130

That's pretty amusing. I could see some use to warn those who are tailgating, although for tailgater a look back and hand in a pushing back motion seems to work most of the time. For the time that doesn't work you can add a middle finger too. Cheaper method than a questionable plate holder which cost $167.