Flat handlebars?

Street_fighter

I love the naked look of my FZ8 but i want a more bent over aggressive riding position. Can I swap my stock bars for the FZ1 bars or buy a set of flat drag bars? I don't care if they hit my tank when parked. Shouldn't a qualified mechanic be able to do this for me? Thanks in advance for any help!

B

bren

The bars are pretty easy to change mate. only a few screws to take your levers and mirrors off, then 4 allen bolts to remove the clamps off and lift the bar away.

The painful bit is removing the grips, if you wanted to reuse them..

B

bren

don't forget right side mirror is a left hand thread :)

Haha yeah that made for a bit of fun when I was riding on the way home from picking my bike up!! Dealer obviously didn't check everything

H

Hoover

There are plenty of aftermarket bars. And plenty of threads on here detailing the switch job. Easy stuff. I fitted Renthal Streetfighter bars on mine in less than an hour. Do a search about a year back and you will find all the info you are looking for.

There are plenty of aftermarket bars. And plenty of threads on here detailing the switch job. Easy stuff. I fitted Renthal Streetfighter bars on mine in less than an hour. Do a search about a year back and you will find all the info you are looking for.

How do you like the Streetfighter bend? I was thinking those or the Road Low bend. Got any pics? Thanks! :D

H

Hoover

How do you like the Streetfighter bend? I was thinking those or the Road Low bend. Got any pics? Thanks! :D

Love them. I love the wider stance.

rysyndrome

I have the Renthal road low handlebars because I didn't want the cross brace. I really like them but they are a bit higher and swept back than the streetfighters. I had to get longer brake lines which initially sucked but that upgrade by itself is def worth it too. I posted pics on a thread somewhere too but here are more.

Well maybe I'm diggin the street-fighter bend now. Lol :idk: How are they on long distance rides on the back? Lane splitting? They do look much wider than stock. Is there any room to shave a bit off on the ends? :D

H

Hoover

Well maybe I'm diggin the street-fighter bend now. Lol :idk: How are they on long distance rides on the back? Lane splitting? They do look much wider than stock. Is there any room to shave a bit off on the ends? :D

I have a very bad back. These bars are much easier on me than the stock ones. The extra width makes them a lot more comfortable on long runs. The wind gets under the gaps under your arms and lifts you up a bit. That is just my opinion though.
You can see a lot more behind you as well, especially with the bar ends on. Lane splitting is easier as well. Wider bars means more leverage.

Niko

I have a Renthal Street Bar

I cut 1 inch each side because wires where too short.
I prefer this bar than the stock one.
I ride with a X-Lite X-551 (adventure touring helmet) and have no problem with my neck even when i ride over 200 km/h
The wind comes over the helmet and i'm correctly protected.
I'm not desappointed by my choice.

chopstic

I have a Renthal Street Bar

I cut 1 inch each side because wires where too short.
I prefer this bar than the stock one.
I ride with a X-Lite X-551 (adventure touring helmet) and have no problem with my neck even when i ride over 200 km/h
The wind comes over the helmet and i'm correctly protected.
I'm not desappointed by my choice.
Nice! Were all the controls a straight-across swap, or did you have to get longer cables? I'd love to see more pics

Niko

I didn't need longuer cables, that's why i cut the bar about 1 inch each side.

Before fixing the bar I had to put all the controls, starting from the left side and the right, moving the bar, very hard when you're alone.

My bike had 60 km, just coming from the store.

Is it enought?

Last edited:

chopstic

I didn't need longuer cables, that's why i cut the bar about 1 inch each side.

Before fixing the bar I had to put all the controls, starting from the left side and the right, moving the bar, very hard when you're alone.

My bike had 60 km, just coming from the store.

Is it enought?

How much further do you lean with the new bars compared to stock? I'm really liking the idea of these bars.

Niko

Before buying the bike, i could try it 1 week and 800 km and 200 km with my wife behind.

I understoud that if my head was lower for 3-4 cm i was more protected.
I'm 1.77m.
So i bought the bar before having the bike, and once at home i changed it with no regrets for the style and protection.

I'm can't tell how much exactly but for me it's enought...