First service!!!

southnjes

Well I finally reached my 600 miles for the first service. Called the dealer,$65 , score I thought, when I get there it's $248. I was like , seriously !!! That's quite a difference for a check up and oil change.

I'm thinking, ok way overpriced but first service for safety issues, I will take it, next oil changes and anything I can figure out by myself (or your help :) ), will do it myself. Lucky to have this forum. That's for sure :)

southnjes

Besides the oil change, what else do they do?

Check everything (apparently) bearings, chain, clutch (lots of other mumbo jumbo talk). Lol

Essentially told me it was like them getting the bike and having to put it together, although shorter time. Billed for 2 hrs @ total of $198.

I still think a bike with <600 brand new from that dealer should have no issues and be a hella lot cheaper, even as a thank you for buying the bike there. Maybe I'm just cheap lol.

[]V[]addog

I agree, mine costed me 228 dollars! I was like what did u do?! Well oil change and then he goes on about checking tire pressure.
I was like so… u changed my oil and checked a bunch of things that should never be wrong on a bike that I could have done myself in 20 mins. He smiles and said yes.
I was like this is the only one I need to do at the dealership for warrantee correct.
Yes. He says.
Never
Going
Back!

master paper clip

Just an FYI your warranty started the day u signed for the bike, u don't have to take you bike in for te first service, just keep the receipts from the stuff u buy for the bike and u will have no issues, dealers having to do the first service for the warranty to start is a myth

F

fz8kansas

Mine was $180. Of course there was the oil change and they relubed and adjusted the chain. Plus on all the frame bolts there was a little orange grease pencil mark like it had been checked for tightness. And it had rained the day that I took the bike to them and was a little dirty, they washed it up! My next event to maintain warranty is to winterize the bike. I was hoping someone may have what the service manual calls for as I have yet to purchase one (I always buy one because it will pay for itself the first time you really need it!)

Mine was $180. Of course there was the oil change and they relubed and adjusted the chain. Plus on all the frame bolts there was a little orange grease pencil mark like it had been checked for tightness. And it had rained the day that I took the bike to them and was a little dirty, they washed it up! My next event to maintain warranty is to winterize the bike. I was hoping someone may have what the service manual calls for as I have yet to purchase one (I always buy one because it will pay for itself the first time you really need it!)

You can get the PDF for about $15 somewhere.

Stumpy

In the uk first service your pay for oil and filter, the labour is paid for by Yamaha, I think they have charged you labour as well. Ask Yamaha if this is right,:(

xXAvroArrowXx

Besides the oil change, what else do they do?

Not. Much. They may sell you that they're reconstructing the bike from its essential elements, in reality, open your mile to the service section & do all the "600 Mile" maintenance items. It will cost you $40 USD (oil filter, spray lube). If you wanted to be anal retentive about it for warranty save receipts.

HenryT

Just an FYI your warranty started the day u signed for the bike, u don't have to take you bike in for te first service, just keep the receipts from the stuff u buy for the bike and u will have no issues, dealers having to do the first service for the warranty to start is a myth

Very true!! I will do all service myself, so I know its done right. Yes document it and save receipts. Bike warranties are pretty much a year long only anyhow.

Who's got the time to be bringing bikes into the dealer anyhow, setting up appointments calling them Ughhh! and then wondering what they are breaking on your bike while its there.

Bajaedition

having the bike done the first time by the dealer is important
most times that they deny warranty is because of lack of documentation of service and this is the service that makes sure all things are correct on the bike and THEY had a chance to check out if any problem was developing

besides that do as you please but do not wine later if they say the steering bearings need replacing and they are not going pay for them.

pigdog

wise man. didn't think of that. 600mi service was $249. in my service the mechanic checked throttle body sync, adjusted brake lever to my request as well as oil & filter change, adj. & lube chain, check lights, switches, nuts/bolts, coolant, steering head, & bearings. G&B motorsports did a good job well worth the $.

Robcat

Well mine was £40 for the standard oil/filter and all things that needed to be greased that they kinda dont do on the production line (brakes/linkages ect).
I checked the bike over the day I bought it and you'll be surprised the things that needed adjusting or tightening. The pre-inspection from the dealer obviously just kicked a tyre and turned the lights on for its pass. Arse h%$es I thought so I had my 600 service done elsewhere, to guys I trust with bikes, who also service my 07 R1.

dtbrown

Shop around. Average should be $160-180. Mine was a out $160 and my friend just got his on his cruiser at same dealer for $180 ish

[]V[]addog

I've always been told to keep the factory warrantee, you need to have the first service done at the dealer, any new bike I have purchased they have all said the same thing.

also... i was told not to switch to synthetic until 10 000 km (6000 miles) said the engine isn;t fully broken in by that point. It sounded lame to me. I was planing on next oil change doing that

xXAvroArrowXx

I've always been told to keep the factory warrantee, you need to have the first service done at the dealer, any new bike I have purchased they have all said the same thing.

also... i was told not to switch to synthetic until 10 000 km (6000 miles) said the engine isn;t fully broken in by that point. It sounded lame to me. I was planing on next oil change doing that

You can go synthetic after manual break in period.

DLSGAP

The dealer I bought my bike from quoted me over 400 for the initial.... I laughed and did it myself as I have on every bother bike I've owned. I just didn't have all the stuff handy this time around... Even going out to buy tools and such I came out well under their quote.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

So I've hit the 1000km mark and the dealer is pretty busy, booked the service for next week, Saturday. At that point, I'll probably be about 1600-1800km. Will this cause any issues? Should I try and find another place?