First service after 600 ml

malikona

Is there an oil change or valve adjustment at the 1000 mile mark? I looked last night in the manual but I don't remember seeing anything about it there unless I looked in the wrong place.

The FZ8 service manual says to get your first service between 600 and 1000 miles (dealer did mine at about 800), and the next scheduled service is at 4000 miles.

I've seen folks on here say to change the oil every 500 miles until 2000, but on a modern bike I'm not sure what the justification is for that. Frankly it seems excessive to me, seems like if you follow the manufacturers instructions and stick to rev limits during break in, get serviced before 1000 miles and stick to the maintenance schedule after that you should be just fine. Manufacturing processes and tolerances (especially on Japanese tech) have improved so much in recent years that babying your engine really isn't needed unless, well, it makes you feel better.

As far as synthetics go, I'll probably switch to full synthetic at the 4000 mile service, but unless the Yamaha techs suggest it I'll probably stick with their own oil and filter. That said, anything that can smooth out the transmission would be welcome. Could be I'll change my mind by then and go with some aftermarket stuff.

Harrywz

for a cycle battery charger i'd go with a trickle charger, nothing full blown or you'll fry it. harbor freight has really inexpensive trickle chargers that work well (for me at least).

Make sure you get an intelligent charger. It will prolong the life of your battery.

BIGpanda

Rotella t6 is the best oil that is readily available at Walmart. Used it in my CBR and I'll use it in this as well.

fitter_rob

Make sure you get an intelligent charger. It will prolong the life of your battery.

I use a CTEK smart charger. It has worked very well!

CTEK Battery Chargers | The World's Smarter Battery Charger

As for oil and filter, I only use Wix filters in all my motorcycles. I experimented a long time ago with filters in my IMCA modified racecar. A standard Wix filter proved to be better than high dollar racing filters. I use 10w40 Premium 4 from Maxima Racing Oils in all my bikes except for my Harley.

WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters

Premium4 - $7.95 : Maxima Racing USA, - Overkill

Black Widow

Avid Rider
:scratch:
I use a CTEK smart charger. It has worked very well!

CTEK Battery Chargers | The World's Smarter Battery Charger

As for oil and filter, I only use Wix filters in all my motorcycles. I experimented a long time ago with filters in my IMCA modified racecar. A standard Wix filter proved to be better than high dollar racing filters. I use 10w40 Premium 4 from Maxima Racing Oils in all my bikes except for my Harley.

WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters

Premium4 - $7.95 : Maxima Racing USA, - Overkill

What is this Harley thing you talk about?

fitter_rob

:scratch:

What is this Harley thing you talk about?

This would be the Harley thing I speak of. It is a 2006 Road Glide and the little biker is my 6 month old son, Preston. :D