First service after 600 ml

maxfz8

Hi,
FZ8 is my first one.
I want to save some money on service to do by myself.
Can somebody help me?
What oil and filter I have to buy and anything else I have to check?
thank you

lothodon

Super Moderator
i do my own maintenance, always have. i'm a firm believer in synthetics in my sport bikes and LOVE royal purple. smoothed out my r1 to better than new performance after many years of abuse.

big thing is check the common issues, chain slack, tire pressures, ALL fluid levels, look for cracks in hoses and lines. after 600 miles there shouldn't be any issues yet (hopefully) but you can never be too safe when you only have two tires on the ground...or perhaps one!

maxfz8

I have been told by mechanic in dealership use only regular (mineral) or you can busted a transmission

Speedo007

Cost me about 90$ for my first service, its an oil change and they go around the bike and check for any loose parts, adjustments required, etc.

mano1192

Max, are you the dude I met that was getting the Aprocravik pipe and power command installed at the dealer the other day?

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher

I couldn't be happier with Motul.

As far as oil filters, I'd recommend sticking with the OEM filter because its has a specific filtration (measured in microns). (Not certain what the value is.)

Purchasing a filter other than the OEM filter is fine, just try purchase a filter with similar filtration.

Purchasing a filter with greater flow (higher micron value) may not catch the particles it needs to catch in order to prevent engine wear. Lower flow (lower micron value) filters may increase oil pressure which may cause the oil pump failure and/or inadequate flow to the pistons.

Ozfazer6

Super Moderator
I have been told by mechanic in dealership use only regular (mineral) or you can busted a transmission

Go to a different stealership Max ,or better yet , DIY.Because that mechanic is talking crap !

I ran nothing but Motul semi-synthetic in my first FZ for 50,000 k's without a hint of a problem.My current 6 is due for a service and I will be using the same.

maxfz8

Max, are you the dude I met that was getting the Aprocravik pipe and power command installed at the dealer the other day?

No man,

I changed with Yamaha of Las Vegas for $145 Yamalube semi sentetic, and after 4,000 I will go to full sentetic. But I believe is it to expensive for that and you easyly can do everything by yourself.

Anyone know where I can purchase a battery charger?

lothodon

Super Moderator
for a cycle battery charger i'd go with a trickle charger, nothing full blown or you'll fry it. harbor freight has really inexpensive trickle chargers that work well (for me at least).

Last edited:

trimyantidrug

I second the suggestion of harbor freight. I picked up a charger there that works for both the bike and my truck if i so need it for like 30 bucks.

hypo

do NOT settle for crappy oil filters.

OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Yamaha OEM

Yamaha oil filters are crappy from what I've seen. ACDELCO or K&N or AMSOIL top my list of filters.

as far as oil, if you have a walmart nearby, go grab some Shell Rotella T6 synthetic... its made for motorcycles (it just doesn't have the picture of a motorcycle on the outside of the bottle.) SMOOOOOOOOTH shifting.

Shell Rotella T - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.

JASO-MAJASO is an acronym that stands for "The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization." Among other things, they set standards for oil to be used in motorcycles.

Shell Rotella T 15W-40 conventional oil now lists on its packaging JASO MA as one of the specifications it meets, as does the Rotella website product page:

Note that the 10W-30 conventional oil does not list JASO-MA.

The newer fully synthetic T6 5W-40 oil also lists JASO-MA compliance on its packaging and on the Rotella website."

K&N FILTER CUT OPEN:

The nut on the can allows for easy removal and is drilled for safety wire! For the space constrained, the nut can be a blessing or a curse. You won't need to contort yourself to get a filter wrench on it, but if you are already short on clearance to your pipes or other obstructions, fugeddaboudit. The nut adds about 3/8th's of an inch to the overall length. The bypass valve is sealed with a rubber gasket. The mouting gasket is semi-O-ring. The filter element itself is dyed K & N's signature red color.

YAMAHA FILTER CUT OPEN:

This Denso-made filter has paper endcaps! The bypass valve, shown on top of the filter element in the photo, is glued in place. The filter element itself is very strange, with the pleats opening concentrically into radial channels, as opposed to facing the circumference as most filters. The element itself is so large that it was almost difficult to get out of the can. This filter shares common cross-references with Honda.

Last edited:

hypo

just did my 600 service... well at 590... ;) found just a little bit of metal in the drop pan... and kept it below 5500rpm... I'll definitely be looking in the pan for the next one. anyone else see some shavings or bits?

lothodon

Super Moderator
i did mine and was very surprised how CLEAN my oil was. i'd say i misbehaved a bit more than i should have before the first change but not even a silver spec in my oil.

mweston

Getting mine on Tuesday. Ill let you know. I am going to the dealer with the first one. Just so I can have the assurance I havnt missed anything that yamaha needs to pay for. But im going to tell them royal purple all the way.

mweston

Getting mine on Tuesday. Ill let you know. I am going to the dealer with the first one. Just so I can have the assurance I havnt missed anything that yamaha needs to pay for. But im going to tell them royal purple all the way.

Ok. SO yeah. didnt get the royal purple because they dont carry anything but manufacturer oil. But i did go full synth. I will have to do the change myself from now on and buy the royal purple elsewhere. There was no shavings and all was good .. :D no more 5k rpm limit.. time to get in it a bit.

hypo

definitely feel a change in the bike now that I'm not paranoid about the RPMs... :) for the BETTER.

daniel327

Hi,

What oil and filter I have to buy

Here's a thread showing all the filters that will fit:

http://www.779cc.org/forum/garage-mechanical-help/153-a.html

Note that when independently tested, the Purolator filters have been shown to provide the best filtering properties (far superior to OEM and K&N products).

Also, it has been suggested that the whole "motorcycle oil" concept is a scam, and that other less expensive oils provide better lubrication and engine protection.

Here's a very interesting (albeit long) read on the the subject:

All About Motor Oil

djcecil

i'm using yamalube 20-50, yam filter 3 quarts and a filter is cheap at dealer @ $40 recommended filter change every other. i follow the manual and what they want to avoid any warranty issues if they arise.

Ivy33

Is there an oil change or valve adjustment at the 1000 mile mark? I looked last night in the manual but I don't remember seeing anything about it there unless I looked in the wrong place.