first oil change

NORE

Hello all of you
I'm new to the forum, so pardon my ignorance on previous threads.
My first oil change is approaching soon, but the guy at the dealer told me that I have to take the bike at least for the first one because the oil pan has to be lowered and cleaned befored adding the new oil. $$$$. Is this right?. First new bike for me

Stangrrr

Weekend Rider
I've never heard of that one before... you don't have to take it to the dealer, as long as you keep records/receipts of your oil changes...

cambo

Avid Rider
Hello all of you
My first oil change is approaching soon, but the guy at the dealer told me that I have to take the bike at least for the first one because the oil pan has to be lowered and cleaned befored adding the new oil. $$$$. Is this right?. First new bike for me

Absolutely not. Go through the entire forum and figure it out.

haha, totally kidding. :welcome:

Oil pan has to be lowered and cleaned? That's a new one...haven't heard anyone report that on here. I don't think it's necessary...my dealership didn't mention anything about that to me when I told them I did my own first oil change. They weren't like, "oh wait wait...but did you lower the oil pan and clean it?"

I've got the service manual at home...I could check through the 600 mile service checklist to see if it's in there but for some reason I don't think I'll see it.

Anyway, just my .02.

Levek

Hello all of you

The dealer comp'd me the oil and filter for my first service (never hurts to ask right?). I paid for the service time of that, and the check-up on whatever it says to check in the service manual.

I won't discount your mechanic's tricks of the trade, it might be sound advice. The service manual mentions nothing about the oil pan though.

Bajaedition

the first change is important for warranty, so make sure you get it documented that the full 600 mile service was done, other than that. It is your choice as to who does it.

[]V[]addog

i"ve never heard of the oil pan thing, but any new bike I've gotten, I've always taken the first oil service to the dealer. i was always told it was a good idea for your warranty. But I normally perform every other oil change myself, save a few bucks, and it is satisfying.