first gear is super rough!

kodoq88

hi all just picked up my 8 today. when i shift to 1st from stop it was super rough felt like stalled, is this normal or just cuz of new? i know most of bikes are rough when you put in first but this is just way too rough thanks

kodoq88

Yea its new just pick it up yesterday 16miles on it. when i check theboil after the ride i think its overfill because the oil wasnt not between the lines.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ssky0078

Yea its new just pick it up yesterday 16miles on it. when i check theboil after the ride i think its overfill because the oil wasnt not between the lines.

Is it golden in color or clear? It may be overfilled or not be filled enough.

Also is the bike upright, centerstand? or track stands? If not have someone sit on the bike while you check it. You can't check it while on the kickstand

kodoq88

Its golden, it covered the whole window while my friend sit on the bike n i told him to hold it up straight. Do you have any idea whats up with the neutral to 1st? You can hear the noise like 10 feet away n i felt like something pushed me, even my friend was in the car behind me he can hear the noise n he thought i stalled when u look from behind

9 Lives

It should get better in time once the clutch as worn in a bit but it will always have a clunk going into first, normal for this bike. Also check your chain adjustment, a loose chain will make the clunk worse. Its hard to tell the exact oil level unless you have a center stand or wheel stand, even a bit of a tilt will knock off the reading.

Last edited:

DSmith

Its golden, it covered the whole window while my friend sit on the bike n i told him to hold it up straight. Do you have any idea whats up with the neutral to 1st? You can hear the noise like 10 feet away n i felt like something pushed me, even my friend was in the car behind me he can hear the noise n he thought i stalled when u look from behind

Yamaha is notorious for overfilling oil from the factory (from what im told). You can drain a little so its between the lines if you're worried about it. I just corrected it at my first service and the bike runs great 5000miles later. The N-1st clunk is normal. Its very loud sometimes but nothing to worried about. Sometimes if I roll my bike forward a little before i shift to first it quiets it down.

kodoq88

Alright cool thanks guys! I know this is out of the topic but since its my first new bike, is it ok if i shift n play the rpm between 3500-5000rpm when in break in period cuz i heard its better if i play between 1/3-1/2 of the max rpm on tach which is at 13k.

BigOleChalupa

Alright cool thanks guys! I know this is out of the topic but since its my first new bike, is it ok if i shift n play the rpm between 3500-5000rpm when in break in period cuz i heard its better if i play between 1/3-1/2 of the max rpm on tach which is at 13k.

Yes, it's fine....... the worst thing you can do while breaking in the engine is lugging it. Just don't lug her around and she'll be fine :) Have you read your owners manual yet? That's always the best thing to do.