Finicky Fuel Gauge

ramrod

I've noticed that my fuel gauge reads the fuel level lower when I warm it up and jumps up a bar after I start riding. Today was the strangest because it read only two bars at first then jumped up to four about a mile and half into my ride.

I've never had a fuel gauge and any of my other bikes, only low indicating light, but has anyone else seen this.

GarryM

My gauge reads low when I start the bike on the side stand but a minute or two after the bike is verticle it will jump up a bar or two. I've also found, like most Japanese fuel gauges, it doesn't move in a linear fashion taking a lot longer to go through the first half of the tank than the second half.

C

Camo

My gauge reads low when I start the bike on the side stand but a minute or two after the bike is verticle it will jump up a bar or two. I've also found, like most Japanese fuel gauges, it doesn't move in a linear fashion taking a lot longer to go through the first half of the tank than the second half.
Exactly the same deal here.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
yup, mine too. Hell I'm just happy not to have to reset my odometer or splash the tank around as a gauge. So it works for me ;)

Sschwar4

Mine starts flashing when 1.8 gallons remain. Only coming on 1.2 gallons too soon. Very consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cpatt

Mine starts flashing when 1.8 gallons remain. Only coming on 1.2 gallons too soon. Very consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wait they flash? mine i run till i have one bar left then i fill up. whens it start to flash?

yes i also find the last bar starts to flas a little to soon!! how far have you gone with the bar last bar flashing??

ramrod

Since i'm still getting used to the bike, I fill it up as soon as the F-Trip goes off. I know it sounds paranoid but i've ran out of gas a few times a block before the gas station.

H

Hoover

wait they flash? mine i run till i have one bar left then i fill up. whens it start to flash?

It flashes and the fuel trip odometer kicks in after the last bar. Supposed to do it when there is 0.8 gals left. However, most of us are getting it with about 1.5 gals left.

C

Camo

yes i also find the last bar starts to flas a little to soon!! how far have you gone with the bar last bar flashing??

I've done 28km's after the thing started flashing at me before fuelling up.

cpatt

It flashes and the fuel trip odometer kicks in after the last bar. Supposed to do it when there is 0.8 gals left. However, most of us are getting it with about 1.5 gals left.

ohhh ok well then thats why i made it to the gas station the other night. i rode like 20 miles on the last bar. didnt think i was going to make it... but never started flashing

Larry P

I just did my second fill up last night. It was flashing for 20 miles and it still had .9 gallons left in the tank. Kind of annoying that it's warning so early. I also got 42mpg which is way better than my old r6's 35 max.

Bought my FZ in April this year, great bike, done a few mods to it, tailtidy and aloominum (aluminium for us brits lol) radiator cover so far. The fuel gauge is a first on a bike for me too and it seems to work ok for the most part, I filled up yesterday at a petrol station that was on a slope , the filler nozzle kept clicking to say the tank was full but when I rode off the gauge only registered 4 out of 5 bars, not sure why, perhaps there was an airlock in the tank or all the fuel had flowed to the rear of the tank and then levelled out when I rode off. I've done 60 miles on the F-trip and not run out, giving around 170 to a tank, works out around 50mpg here in limeyland.

Miles to gallon is pretty good but now the bike is run in I cant help hitting 7000 rpm and holding on as she takes off!! obviously knocks the mpg a bit but hey, it's for fun, so feck the cost lol !!

cheers all, be safe, Daz UK :D

kkfz8

ran the bike till fuel tank empty and got only 165 miles.

Ok
Even I have been only able to fill 2.6 to 2.8 gallons in my new 2012 FZ8 whenever my Empty bar starts flashing. So yesterday I pushed the limits of my fuel tank as I was thinking that this fuel guage was not right. I have been consistently getting 49-52 MPG on my FZ8 and I have put about 450 miles on it.
At around 120 miles, my last bar started flashing and my F-Trip came on..Then I rode for another 45 miles and my bike sputtered right in the middle of the freeway and stopped. fortunately I way safely able to coast to the shoulder and call up my friend who brought me some gas.

So a full tank including the reserve only got me about 165 miles and I know for a fact that I am getting a minimum of 49 mpg. So that means, the fuel tank capacity is only about 165/49 = 3.36 gallons.
This tells me that I am not getting to fill the full capacity of the reserve tank. Something is definitely not right here. If Yamaha says that FZ8 has a 4.5 Gallon tank (is it including reserve or is the 0.9 gallons of reserve additional to the 4.5gallons?), then at 49 mpg, I should be able to get atleast 4.5x49 = 220 miles if the 4.5 includes reserve. If reserve is additional to the 4.5g then i should get an additional 40miles to make about 260 miles in total.

Larry P

Ok
Even I have been only able to fill 2.6 to 2.8 gallons in my new 2012 FZ8 whenever my Empty bar starts flashing. So yesterday I pushed the limits of my fuel tank as I was thinking that this fuel guage was not right. I have been consistently getting 49-52 MPG on my FZ8 and I have put about 450 miles on it.
At around 120 miles, my last bar started flashing and my F-Trip came on..Then I rode for another 45 miles and my bike sputtered right in the middle of the freeway and stopped. fortunately I way safely able to coast to the shoulder and call up my friend who brought me some gas.

So a full tank including the reserve only got me about 165 miles and I know for a fact that I am getting a minimum of 49 mpg. So that means, the fuel tank capacity is only about 165/49 = 3.36 gallons.
This tells me that I am not getting to fill the full capacity of the reserve tank. Something is definitely not right here. If Yamaha says that FZ8 has a 4.5 Gallon tank (is it including reserve or is the 0.9 gallons of reserve additional to the 4.5gallons?), then at 49 mpg, I should be able to get atleast 4.5x49 = 220 miles if the 4.5 includes reserve. If reserve is additional to the 4.5g then i should get an additional 40miles to make about 260 miles in total.

Sir I think some of your math may be skewed. If you ran your tank from full to dry with 165 miles, you got about 36mpg. Things to consider are you can't truly run a tank "dry". Most bikes give out before their tank capacity empties. Heck, my old r6 stopped at 4.2 gallons everytime. Capacity was 4.5. Also keep in mind your MPG is an average over time. It's not always 49. Unless you straight run for 200 miles at the same speed, you can't have an exact mpg estimate. 49-52 mpg seems rather high, even for the fazer. You'd have to be cruising at 60 in top gear without major terrain changes and minimal wind resistance. For testing my own MPG, I just do the math when I fill up. Last fill up was 3.6 gallons and 150 miles on the trip ODO. ~42 mpg. If you really wanna run the tank dry, bring extra fuel with you next time!

Try to also give the bike more time while it breaks in before passing ultimate judgement on the MPG/tank range/etc. Mines been changing between each fill up (getting better + more accurate)

kkfz8

Sir I think some of your math may be skewed. If you ran your tank from full to dry with 165 miles, you got about 36mpg. Things to consider are you can't truly run a tank "dry". Most bikes give out before their tank capacity empties. Heck, my old r6 stopped at 4.2 gallons everytime. Capacity was 4.5. Also keep in mind your MPG is an average over time. It's not always 49. Unless you straight run for 200 miles at the same speed, you can't have an exact mpg estimate. 49-52 mpg seems rather high, even for the fazer. You'd have to be cruising at 60 in top gear without major terrain changes and minimal wind resistance. For testing my own MPG, I just do the math when I fill up. Last fill up was 3.6 gallons and 150 miles on the trip ODO. ~42 mpg. If you really wanna run the tank dry, bring extra fuel with you next time!

Try to also give the bike more time while it breaks in before passing ultimate judgement on the MPG/tank range/etc. Mines been changing between each fill up (getting better + more accurate)

Hi
Thanks for the reply. My MPG numbers are not wrong. I have been consistently calculating the mpg everytime I fill up my tank. And yes, I have been cruising in top gear at about 65 mph on the freeway most of the time as this is the break in period of my bike. I have put about 450 miles on the bike and have filled it 4 times since I purchased it and everytime I got more than 49 mpg.

When I ran my tank empty last time, I could not calculate the mpg because my friend brought some gas in a gas can and then I went to the pump and filled the rest.

I think I know what the problem is though. If you push the nozzle all the way into the tank and let it stop on its own while filling, you will never get to fill 4.5 gallons of fuel. To get 4.5g in the tank you have to fill gas till the neck of the tank and to do that you will have to do it manually. last night I went back to the pump and was able to fill another 1.3 gallons more into the tank after I had already did a full tank just 10 mn ago and had let it stop automatically.

Larry P

No worries, I never said your numbers were wrong, just skewed! :) When I looked in the manual they have a nice diagram of the fuel tank and where the fill line is for the "official" 4.5g. I'm hoping the fuel gauge will make up it's mind soon. Fuel trip should not start with 2 gallons left!