Finally Street Legal

cambo

Avid Rider
I got tired of taking the bike out and being paranoid about popo

Finally went and got a class M added to my license yesterday.

Went riding around today and it just felt so much better.

No more quick turn offs to duck a cop up ahead!

Also, I finally received my title in the mail yesterday and was able to go to the SO today and transfer the plate. It felt good to ride and not have to stay in the residential areas.

Grant...yes! Class M is maryland's motorcycle indicator. and congrats on your plates!

Rabbitman- definitely!

Grant...yes! Class M is maryland's motorcycle indicator. and congrats on your plates!

Rabbitman- definitely!

Nice to hear I wasn't the only one. I pound a good 1K on my ride before I pass the class. Even better, I drove off from the dealership without any license. I was 38 back then... started riding I was 6 yo.

Nice to hear I wasn't the only one. I pound a good 1K on my ride before I pass the class. Even better, I drove off from the dealership without any license. I was 38 back then... started riding I was 6 yo.

hahaha, nice! apparently it's a very common thing around here. I was talking to the instructors and they said our DMV has actually cut out a ton of red tape in the licensing process from what it used to be, just to attract riders to get their license.

I think they said 2 in 10 riders pulled over actually has a license? lol! Anyway, the thought of getting my bike impounded and possibly repossesed by yamaha was enough to make me pursue the legit path. haha

hahaha, nice! apparently it's a very common thing around here. I was talking to the instructors and they said our DMV has actually cut out a ton of red tape in the licensing process from what it used to be, just to attract riders to get their license.

I think they said 2 in 10 riders pulled over actually has a license? lol! Anyway, the thought of getting my bike impounded and possibly repossesed by yamaha was enough to make me pursue the legit path. haha

I didn't really plan getting the 6R. I was just killing some time on a Saturday afternoon with my wife when we stop by the stealership. Long story short I liked the yellow bike, bough it and got a new helmet and drove off. That was my first weekend off in a while, then I keep working every single weekend like that to finish restoring an old GTP car (March 85 with Buick Turbo engine) So I drove the bike for about 2 months before I actually had another weekend off to pass my class.

Right on man, Got mine last fall. I was gettin itchy on a ride one night and my Mother looks at me and says "Why the H*LL don't you go test? Don't you think Eight permits is a bit excessive."

Right on man, Got mine last fall. I was gettin itchy on a ride one night and my Mother looks at me and says "Why the H*LL don't you go test? Don't you think Eight permits is a bit excessive."

Lmao! I was doing the same thing! I got the permit just to FEEL better about having SOMETHING official in my wallet, lol, but I'd still get busted because I never really rode with anyone like you're supposed to. But 8 permits good lord! hahaha that's awesome man

I took the BRC so I had my Motorcycle endorsement, however my bike showed up before the title showed up. I was out riding on the Indian reservation for a couple hours before I was able to wait till the next morning to go to the DMV to get the plate. It's like a $900 fine here in Scottsdale if you get caught with an unregistered car or expired tags. I've done it twice (both times it was due to difficulty passing emissions) and plead poverty to get it dropped to $150.

I took the BRC so I had my Motorcycle endorsement, however my bike showed up before the title showed up. I was out riding on the Indian reservation for a couple hours before I was able to wait till the next morning to go to the DMV to get the plate. It's like a $900 fine here in Scottsdale if you get caught with an unregistered car or expired tags. I've done it twice (both times it was due to difficulty passing emissions) and plead poverty to get it dropped to $150.

yup! BRC here too. the easIER way to get the M. geesus that's a hefty fine!

whats the penalty if caught without a motorcycle endorsment or license ?

just a ticket, or more extreme penalty ?

Do your states not offer motorcycle riding programs?

In my state (AZ) you have 2 options to get a motorcycle endorsement. You can apply for and get a permit that you are restricted to ride only during daylight hours and not allowed on a freeway/highway for 6 months (might be 9) then go and take a test at the DMV that most people fail. Or you can spend $300 and take a BRC class where they administer the test on the last day and everyone passes to get their motorcycle endorsement.

edit: there is a third option I forgot; reciprocity. My dad had a motorcycle endorsement in WA and when he moved here even though he hadn't ridden a bike in 20 years they honored his endorsement and he got one in AZ.

In my state (AZ) you have 2 options to get a motorcycle endorsement. You can apply for and get a permit that you are restricted to ride only during daylight hours and not allowed on a freeway/highway for 6 months (might be 9) then go and take a test at the DMV that most people fail. Or you can spend $300 and take a BRC class where they administer the test on the last day and everyone passes to get their motorcycle endorsement.

edit: there is a third option I forgot; reciprocity. My dad had a motorcycle endorsement in WA and when he moved here even though he hadn't ridden a bike in 20 years they honored his endorsement and he got one in AZ.

Damn! $300?! That's like a normal driving class. Here in IL they offer it for $20 and will refund you it after you're done with the course if you'd like. If you don't pass that class, you really should not be riding a motorcycle ever. They should offer more of these classes for a cheaper price since there are so many people without a license. I took the class for cheaper insurance.

California is the same. Start with a written, then take the lollipop (which most on streetbikes fail) (I took mine on a scooter, after a string of 4 permits), OR register for MSF motorcycle safety course and get a waiver that way. but it's something like 200 bucks as well.

TEAM Arizona - Basic RiderCourse

I just want to clarify it was $279 not $300. LOL.

I would agree that anyone who cannot pass this course should never get on a motorcycle. We had 5 people drop during the course, 3 in the first day. One guy during the first set of exercises popped the clutch on the Yamaha TW200 (I think) dirt bike and somehow popped a wheelie and flipped the bike into the air bending the bars. He was asked to leave, LOL. The guy was shook anyway and said he would never get a bike. The best part is that he was taking the course because he was looking at a GSXR600. LOL.

You know another thing to consider about getting legal is that if you buy your bike from an out of state dealer you have to pay sales tax when you go to register. I bought both my bikes from out of state and found this to be quite annoying.

I took the MSF course right away and have never regretted it! I wasn't asked/tricked/forced to take it, I thought it was just a great idea. I felt like it was insane to just buy a bike and figure it out as I go with tips front friends. Also very reckless and irresponsible. I also started out on a 1981 Suzuki GS450L which was a great beginner bike!

I got the bike a couple days before the class, and couldnt help but buzz around my neighborhood a little. Then I go and take the class and I learned little stuff I never would have thought of. So many great tips that I'll always use, and even stuff "experienced riders" didn't fully realize. Now anytime I meet a newer rider, I feel like a book of knowledge :).

I feel blessed I got to learn and practice how to hard stop, do tricky maneuvers, and even learn a little bike maintenance 101 all on a closed course with professionals around, and the best part is its not your bike.

$300 seems cheap for a couple day course on learning to ride a death machine.

Don't know why this turned into a "take the MSF course" rant lol. The main reason to post was to say that in Iowa, a motorcycle endorsement is marked with an L. It was funny to me that you had to get your permit before you got your full license, even if you've takin the class. So after the class, I took the simple permit test, then handed over my paper from MSF and got my full license.

I watched a friend take the riding test at the DMV. It was relatively easy here in Iowa, he passed with flying colors, the hardest part was how slow you have to ride through the tiny course lol.

Back