Finally found a solution to my suspension issues

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Well after a lot of research and a bunch of debate I think I have finally found a solution to my suspension "issues." What it really came down to was some serious time in the canyons and making notes along the way as to what exactly the bike is doing. And, then running a few numbers to get an idea of what the best solution would be for my particular situation anyways.

I only weigh about 150 pounds without gear so according to the awesome folks over at RaceTech the front fork springs are actually too stiff for me. Which made sense as my main complaint when I really made sure to pay attention to it was that the front end seems to skip on rough roads and feels like it wants to wash out.

I have ordered an 07 Fz1 shock and will be taking the bike down to them to have them install new front springs as well as their gold valves in the front set up properly for my weight and riding style. For the rear I am having them rebuild the 14,000 mile FZ1 shock and re-spring and valve it for the fz-8 as well as my weight etc. I am also having them powdercoat the spring in red to match my wheel stripes.

The front suspension will still be non-adjustable but I am fine with that as they will be setting it all up for me specifically anyways. So it should come back out about as damn close to perfect as it can be.

Anyways all said and done I should be in it for about $1,200 but at this point I would rather spend some money on a bike I otherwise really like than look at trading it in.

Im looking to take it in sometime around mid-February so I will keep y'all updated how she does. I will also be swapping the tires shortly afterwards because I want to know what is changing what.

H

Hoover

Bravo mate. Can't wait to hear how it changes it. Just goes to show that the whole "make it stiffer" argument is not neccessarily the way to go.
:tup:

C

Camo

Sounds like a good plan mate, hope it all pans out for you.

RnR

$1200 for springs, gold valves, FZ1 shock and RaceTech installation. I'd say that sounds like quite a good price.

RyanSterling

What springs are you putting in the front?. ktech are pretty good for the price.

I will be using RaceTech springs as they will be handling both install and setup for me. I have had several friends go to them for install and tuning and heard nothing but great results, plus they aren't terribly far from me. So it seemed like the obvious choice.

Motogpmad

If you want it to turn a bit quicker, drop the yokes down a few mm. you will notice a difference. Haga style :D

RyanSterling

If you want it to turn a bit quicker, drop the yokes down a few mm. you will notice a difference. Haga style :D

That will likely be part of step three depending on how 1 and 2 go. Trying to decide on tires at the moment. Once the suspension is on the tires will be my next target. But it is hard for me to say if I even like them or not as I think the suspension problems are over riding the tires at the moment.

Anyone tried the Diablo Rosso II's yet?

C

Camo

I got a set of BT16's at a really good price when I was looking at Perellis, not sure I can warrant buying anything else after the way these bridgestones have treated me. Love them to bits.
Definitely not going to get high mileage on them but on road they're confidence inspiring and on track once they warm up are fantastic for my level of riding.
Highly recommend them.

D

Deleted member 438

+1 for the bt016 they can handle the track well, they're great for aggressive street riding, and they're dirt cheap.

F

Fazed

Bravo mate. Can't wait to hear how it changes it. Just goes to show that the whole "make it stiffer" argument is not neccessarily the way to go.
:tup:

But most of us here are fat bastards ;) I was about 10 years old when I weighted 150lbs :p

F

Fazed

You'd be better of getting new linkage to raise the rear than lowering the front.

C

Camo

I got a set of BT16's at a really good price when I was looking at Perellis, not sure I can warrant buying anything else after the way these bridgestones have treated me. Love them to bits.
Definitely not going to get high mileage on them but on road they're confidence inspiring and on track once they warm up are fantastic for my level of riding.
Highly recommend them.

Well after a quick squirt I took my bike for a going over at my mechanics just to make sure it was all good before a track day on Saturday.
Had a look at the rear and its shagged. Got about 1mm left to the wear bars, 4660km's. The front has maybe 400km's left in it but I'm going to change them both out....not for exact replacements as the BT016's have been superseded by the new S20r's.
I'm going to give them a try as they are supposed to be much the same.
So I guess I retract part of my original statement.... If you'd like to know how they go mate, I'll be happy to give my gibberish-esque style of uneducated feedback about how they perform on Saturday.

jess24845030

No not someone looking at changing their suspension , still waiting for Mr my glass is half empty to say you can't make the bike ride like a silk purse well i think ya can so :p :p.

as for tyres i have the michelin pilot powers and are a massive improvement over stock , may try some others dueing the summer when they are shot .

not long soon be summer :)