final mods - input on idea

lothodon

Super Moderator
yeah, final....as if i'll ever be "done"... but.

i decided to give the yamaha fly screen a try as well and plan on painting the backside flat black to darken it as much as possible.

so my idea is to remove the stock handlebar and paint it black. yamaha did such a good job making this bike sexy in black but really failed on the silver 'bits'.

gold anodized levers coming to round it out.

thoughts on painting the bars black?

trixster is right !! but i have painted bars before just make sure to use a high quality automotive paint and really scruff it up... but renthals are nice id like to try the far bars off of my sled on the bike but i think bright orange might look funny haha

lothodon

Super Moderator
yeah, i know how to paint pretty well, as i'd then take it to work and dry it in the paint ovens for hardness.

i'm getting tired of spending money to be honest and i like the locator pins on the factory bars.

i say giver and paint them the worst thing that could happen is that they dont turn out and you buy new bars and you will only be out a can of paint... and if they do work you probably just saved yourself 80 bucks

lothodon

Super Moderator
so far so good. biggest issue was getting all the controls off without disconnecting everything (clutch cable, throttle cables) and salvaging the original clutch side grip (for now).

paint turned out better than i had hoped but was confident since the silver paint is not smooth to begin with. made it easy to scuff and the final coat isn't perfectly glossy (didn't want that). matches the mirror stalks and fluid reservoir quite well.

also took off them UGLY aluminum plates on the heel kicks. there is just black metal behind them. i've considered wrapping them in carbon fiber vinyl but i think it'll be easier and pleasing enough to just leave them off. i did reinstall the mounting screws though.

lothodon

Super Moderator

bambam

Looks good man..I just bought mine and am looking at what mods I want to work out. The silver bars should really have been black to start and the handle levers gold.
Congrats :D

lothodon

Super Moderator
i'll have pics with gold levers in mid may. will post them then.

p.s. congrats on the bike, hope you like it as much as i do.

bambam

Thanks I am definitely excited about this being my first bike.
I have not had the chance to ride it yet, raining all weekend and I'm out this week, but I am looking forward to picking it up this weekend with the flyscreen, frame sliders & center-stand installed.
I figure I will take the break-in period to get used to the bike and decide what other mods I want, but definitely looking at the Pazzo levers, Akrapovic slip on exhaust and tail tidy to clean up the look of the bike. I would love to change the color of the bars too, but not sure bout that yet.