Filling handlebar with silicone ?

kjonas75

I am getting a lot of vibration (4K to 5K rpm) and it numbs my hands after approx 40 minutes of riding.

I read that I could fill the handlebar with silicone, but when I removed the handle bars ends, there doesn't seem to be a way of getting silicone in there.

Anyone done this before ?
Was it worth it ?
How did you get silicone in via the handle bar ends ?

Harrywz

I am getting a lot of vibration (4K to 5K rpm) and it numbs my hands after approx 40 minutes of riding.

I read that I could fill the handlebar with silicone, but when I removed the handle bars ends, there doesn't seem to be a way of getting silicone in there.

Anyone done this before ?
Was it worth it ?
How did you get silicone in via the handle bar ends ?

I doubt silicone will help. The handlebar ends are sealed and just have threads in them for the weights. What I can suggest is Kuryakyn universal ISO grips for a 7/8" bar (or if they make ones for an fz8). These do help, don't eliminate the vibrations but do lessen them. Had them on my cruiser and they actually are larger so your grip on the bars is different and the air pockets do help. Its just one of them things with a 4 cylinder bike engine.
As well, another company Avongrips makes ones with airpockets too. Plus there are a sh*%load of manyfacturers who make gel grips for sportbikes. When I rode my R1, my left hand would numb out after 10 minutes.

Last edited:
V

Vapordan

There's a thread dedicated to this here buzzing. Silicone does reduce it, you need to squeeze it into the hole, so cut the tube end small and use force. Also, it improves with engine break-in.

kjonas75

I read further into filling the handlebar with silicone (I really want to try it).

There was two issues mentioned.
1. Filling handlebar with silicone is not recommended on handlebars where there are cables inside. One guy on a fireblade had huge issues with cables getting stuck, and also had issues trying to remove the silicone.

2. When applying silicone, the handlebar must be completely filled as air pockets could lead to rusting.

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
V

Vapordan

I read further into filling the handlebar with silicone (I really want to try it).

There was two issues mentioned.
1. Filling handlebar with silicone is not recommended on handlebars where there are cables inside. One guy on a fireblade had huge issues with cables getting stuck, and also had issues trying to remove the silicone.

2. When applying silicone, the handlebar must be completely filled as auirpockets could leat to rusting.

Any thoughts ?

2. is rubbish, it doesn't even merit an answer. 1. N/A for the FZ8. The hollow in the z8 bars don't go all the way through, they seem to stop right at the curve, maybe 2 or 3 inches I am guessing because my silicone started backuping up after a few hard squirts. There's also lead balls that you can put in there. The physics is solid. Bang an empty tube, makes a loud sound. Bang the same tube filled with water, you get a thud because the water absorbs the energy.

I really think the fix for this is to put a rubber mount (more rubber mounts) where the engine bolts to the right frame. But that's probably a hassle.

kjonas75

Talked to the dealer today and he siad the bar is empty so I should be OK to put silicone. However he suggested softer handles as well as extra heavy handle ends.

I'll try the silicone first as it's the cheapest.

There is a guy on this forum who may be selling his bike due to the buzz.

H

Hoover

I switched my bars to Renthal Streetfighter bars...buzzing gone. Problem solved

H

Hoover

Post a link to the exact ones you got.

Just go to your favorite parts house and type in "Renthal Streetfighter bars".
They come in one size but diferent colors.
They come with a cross brace, which I love, but if you take it off, there can be issues with the paint underneath flaking.

V

Vapordan

I want to buy whatever you got where ever you got them. The exact same ones. I need a fix for my buzzing not an almost fix or 'well, you bought the wrong size/length/color bars' thing.

master paper clip

They come in one size but diferent colors.
They come with a cross brace, which I love, but if you take it off, there can be issues with the paint underneath flaking.

Omg i know what im buying soon, they look so good

Dupek313

I saw on some website where someone was complaining that the streetfighter model wasnt fitting properly on the fz8, is this true? Which model do you have on the bike?? Thank you :)

Umyaya

I saw on some website where someone was complaining that the streetfighter model wasnt fitting properly on the fz8, is this true? Which model do you have on the bike?? Thank you :)

Get bar snake for the bars... but buzzing shouldn'tbe an issue with grips and renthal bars... I had streetfighter bars but I highly recommend renthal mediums. Way better.