Expensive shorty levers vs cheap

Fz2fast4u

Hey guys I've ridden dirtbikes all my life and prefer the shorty levers. I see there are some nice black asv's on eBay but they are $279. Then I see a set for $50. I am all for getting the best but honestly if I can pay 50 for a similar part I'm down plus then I could buy a slip on or something.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i got a 'cheap' pair of full length levers off ebay. the negatives... the color is fading FAST, but i have a fix in the works for that (powder coat) and the tolerances on the pivots are not as tight as i feel they could be. simple fix was a teflon washer to take up the slack.

i will be getting my bars and levers powder coat in gold (that matches the forks) soon.

if you can live with the slop, i say go for it!

lothodon

Super Moderator
well, yes and no. since the aftermarket are adjustable (both) and the stock are not there are additional pivot points in the aftermarket that make for more "slop". the brake lever i got it perfect and the clutch lever just needed a .10" shim to make near perfect.

they were fully functional either way and i'd never go back to stock after having a fully adjustable set.

Shleeve

Rideitmoto.com
I opted for a pair from there, about $70 shipped and they're almost perfect. For the price difference they're well worth it.

Fz2fast4u

Just purchased the shorties from rideitmoto and they are giving away free Cnc grips. I also a Cnc gas cap so thanks for the site

lothodon

Super Moderator
you should make that/this offer rideitmoto.com has it's own thread, as it's a very impressive deal!

i got the rideitmoto deal i didnt put the grips on yet but the one part of my liver did fade really fast and the gold part faded 2 no one has noticed it other then me but like lothodon said there is a cheap and easy way to fix that! the slop in these levers wasnt really bad but i did notice it even with that still 100% better then stock!

djcecil

i got the gold shortys w/ black adj. from china for 38bucks, same as all the rest in the pictures. the only problem was the clutch pivot sleeve is for a 8mm not a 6mm bolt. you could press out theirs and put in the stock levers sleeve, or i spent 0.56 at lowes for vinyl bushings, drilled one out to make thinner, and sliced it down one side thus making an insert that made it snug as the original without binding.

i would have replaced bolt, but could not find a good enough 8mm replacement so went with plan B

Last edited:

rysyndrome

i got the gold shortys w/ black adj. from china for 38bucks, same as all the rest in the pictures. the only problem was the clutch pivot sleeve is for a 8mm not a 6mm bolt. you could press out theirs and put in the stock levers sleeve, or i spent 0.56 at lowes for vinyl bushings, drilled one out to make thinner, and sliced it down one side thus making an insert that made it snug as the original without binding.

i would have replaced bolt, but could not find a good enough 8mm replacement so went with plan B

I bought these levers too. Off to Lowes I go...thanks for posting this!!!!

rysyndrome

I couldnt find metric bushing at lowes so I made a cheap press to get the bushing out and used the stock one. Fits perfect now and just cost me $5. :)

Wieb27

I got the cheap shorty levers from eBay on my 09 R6, 09 R1 and now my 11 FZ8 and have had zero problems with them. Don't waste your money on the expensive ones. They're not that loose in my opinion.

C

Camo

I went with Ride It levers, they're as good as the ASV's I had on my last bike.

W

WARPTH

I also pressed out the clutch sleeve and used the factory one. $40 on ebay for black levers are still better than the flimsy factory non adjustable ones which are $70 each here.