Exhaust painting

Flip

I know guys have painted or ceramic coated their exhaust pipe and headers,what have you used to do it and how did it look or hold up???

Flip

I didn't know plasti dip could handle heat, I wonder if it can take header heat since the header gets a good bit hotter than a slip on

IanLeMasters

No. Headers are too hot for dip. 200-300° max. Wrap them or lots of ceramic paint. Follow the instructions on the cans for best results.

OdinSon

I used rustoleum high heat paint, has a picture of an engine and says its gas and oil resistant. Worked great, nice flat black and had held up very well after a couple thousand miles. Nees to be touched up just a tiny bit from rocks but that was to be expected. I don't believe one can was enough. Clean the crap out of them first. I used engine degreaser twice, very fine steel wool, and finished it by soaking a clean rag in rubbing alcohol and wiping down thoroughly.

Flip

I used rustoleum high heat paint, has a picture of an engine and says its gas and oil resistant. Worked great, nice flat black and had held up very well after a couple thousand miles. Nees to be touched up just a tiny bit from rocks but that was to be expected. I don't believe one can was enough. Clean the crap out of them first. I used engine degreaser twice, very fine steel wool, and finished it by soaking a clean rag in rubbing alcohol and wiping down thoroughly.
I took your suggestion and bought the rustoleum high heat black and the high heat primer, going to hopefully get to painting it next weekend

OdinSon

I didn't even prime it, just did many light coats of paint. I hung the whole thing up outside on summer day about 75 degrees outside and just did many light coats. Definitely the best thing I did for the bike visually. Best of luck!

Flip

I didn't even prime it, just did many light coats of paint. I hung the whole thing up outside on summer day about 75 degrees outside and just did many light coats. Definitely the best thing I did for the bike visually. Best of luck!
Did you follow the directions on the can saying to run bike 20 minutes then off 10 and on 20 again blah blah blah!!! Seems like a pain to put the exhaust on and off with every coat

Sinooch

i never even thought about using the rustoleum high heat paint. i was going to get them ceramic coated but this seems like a cheaper route i should probably try before i blow 130$ on ceramic coating. is there a high heat clear coat i could use to help protect the paint. im figuring if there is high heat primer and paint then there has to be high heat clear coat as well. The funny thing is that i have a can of it sitting on my shelf from the last time i needed it and it never crossed my mind as an option haha.

Flip

i never even thought about using the rustoleum high heat paint. i was going to get them ceramic coated but this seems like a cheaper route i should probably try before i blow 130$ on ceramic coating. is there a high heat clear coat i could use to help protect the paint. im figuring if there is high heat primer and paint then there has to be high heat clear coat as well. The funny thing is that i have a can of it sitting on my shelf from the last time i needed it and it never crossed my mind as an option haha.
I bought the paint and primer at Lowe's and didn't see a high heat clear coat, they might make it but you would think Lowe's would sell it.

Sinooch

i looked online and saw that home depot has it. i also read the instructions and it said instead of putting it on the bike. baking it is another option. i guess i would bake it after i put all the coats on, including the clear coat?

Flip

i looked online and saw that home depot has it. i also read the instructions and it said instead of putting it on the bike. baking it is another option. i guess i would bake it after i put all the coats on, including the clear coat?
yeah Odinson did his exhaust and he said he did the heating and cooling steps after he applied all coats of paint.

OdinSon

Yup and after a year and a couple thousand miles I only have some very small chips from rocks. You can't even notice the chips unless you're up close and looking too.