Evotech AND R&G Racing tidy-tail

lothodon

Super Moderator
well, the impatience got the better of me (waiting for the R&G) so i ordered the evotech AND put an order in on the R&G as well.

i figure i'll keep whichever i like better, but the evotech is on it's way to me while the r&g (the one i think i prefer) is not currently available (back ordered).

i'll do a comparison and post my input once i get one/both.

i'm sure the other will be for sale once i decide of course.

trixster8

I'm real happy with the Evotech kit. It's pretty easy to install. The wires are a little pain, but you'll have to deal with that with any kit. You gotta chase the wires all the way up to near the battery to unplug them. If you eventually plan on installing the mini turn signals, I'd suggest doing it while the tail is already apart. I wish I would have.

But I'd also like to hear more about the R&G Racing tail. So hopefully you get that soon.

lothodon

Super Moderator
my evotech showed today (and installing now, pics soon) and my r&g shipped today. after the holy crap moment of just how solid the yamaha tail section is i might be a little gunshy to rip it back apart very soon. color me impressed yamaha.

lothodon

Super Moderator

Speedo007

Lookin' good! now you need LED indicators! :)
Did you need to cut parts from the original tail, or it's just disassembling?

lothodon

Super Moderator
i actually prefer the big bright turn signals, as cagers around here need all the help they can get to see me and my lights.

no permanent changes or cutting needed. just have to hide a LOT of wiring after the fact. didn't expect to have to assemble the mount myself either, but it's solid.

Speedo007

From what I've read the LEDs are supposed to be even more bright (unless you buy some miniature ones...) I'll take pictures once mine are installed, I don't really know how small they are it's hard to say on Yamaha's website their actual size...they were B.O. so should get them this week.

SpunkyTheTuna

Just ordered this FE cuz it looks much sturdier than that eBay one I'm currently using. FWIW I have some Rizoma LED turn signals that I got from PJ's Parts - Accessories For Every Bike And Rider that are small and amazingly bright. I'm a big fan of bright lights and I'm more than satisfied with these turn signals. Vibration proof and long-lived; LEDs are a really great solution for lighting on bikes, IMO. :cool:

lothodon

Super Moderator
i KNEW someone would make that comment! LOL!

It's very well powdercoated steel, not aluminum. At least that's my guess as it's too heavy for aluminum.

UPDATE: I thought I mentioned it but apparently not...the instructions are a JOKE!

Last edited:

trixster8

i KNEW someone would make that comment! LOL!

It's very well powdercoated steel, not aluminum. At least that's my guess as it's too heavy for aluminum.

UPDATE: I thought I mentioned it but apparently not...the instructions are a JOKE!

I thought the same, but it is aluminum. A magnet will prove it. It's heavy for aluminum, probably from the thick powder coating. Either way, it's a very solid tail kit.

lothodon

Super Moderator
points of interest r&g vs. evotech...

r&g - one piece construction, steel, SMALL!, far better instructions and includes adapters for aftermarket blinkers.

evotech - much better paint (powdercoat) but requires assembly. only fits oem blinkers without additional adapters.

i'm going to do some measuring to see how the sizing compares before i rip the evotech off, just in case the spacing on the evotech is better and i can save myself some time.

UPDATE: The spacing of the OEM turn signals is nearly identical in width, however with the R&G they are about 1" (2cm) higher. There would be no way for mud/water to squeeze between the tail and the mount on the r&g so i imagine it would be easier to clean. i'm still torn so i'll be swapping the mounts to do a full visual comparison...and post pics of course.

Last edited:

even the small LED lights a really bright a few of my friends have them and they really stand out!!