Engine noise (ticking)

Ryaaaan

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Is it proper for the engine (2013 FZ8) to make a ticking sound while running? I can't hear it at speed, but when I idol I can hear it, near the valves/header. To be honest, I haven't heard this sound till today. It's got less than 500 miles, and just did the first oil change. Is my mind playing tricks on me, or is it a concern? I have a sound/video clip, just don't know how to post it.

Blackfin

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Is it proper for the engine (2013 FZ8) to make a ticking sound while running? I can't hear it at speed, but when I idol I can hear it, near the valves/header. To be honest, I haven't heard this sound till today. It's got less than 500 miles, and just did the first oil change. Is my mind playing tricks on me, or is it a concern? I have a sound/video clip, just don't know how to post it.

The FZ8 engine is one of the noisiest I4s I think I've ever heard, at least at idle. I posted a question regarding an overall "racket" from the starter/clutch/trans area here:

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-technical/4852-racket-clutch-trans-idle.html

but it's decidedly not a "tick". It's more like a rock crusher full of nuts and bolts. Apparently that noise is normal.

A periodic "tick" might be compression/combustion pressure leaking past, say, a loose spark plug or it might be an exhaust pulse leaking past a loose exhaust pipe flange or bad gasket or it might be something mechanical like an excessively loose valve clearance. Or, given how noisy these engines seem to be overall, it might be completely normal.

With just 500 miles I'd be surprised if anything was actually wrong. Is your oil level okay? Try verifying all of the spark plugs are tight. Try verifying that the exhaust flange nuts are all cinched down.

Host your vid on Youtube (it takes a minute to create an account; indeed, it will take longer to upload a video than it will to create an account there) and post a link.

Ryaaaan

The FZ8 engine is one of the noisiest I4s I think I've ever heard, at least at idle. I posted a question regarding an overall "racket" from the starter/clutch/trans area here:

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-technical/4852-racket-clutch-trans-idle.html

but it's decidedly not a "tick". It's more like a rock crusher full of nuts and bolts. Apparently that noise is normal.

A periodic "tick" might be compression/combustion pressure leaking past, say, a loose spark plug or it might be an exhaust pulse leaking past a loose exhaust pipe flange or bad gasket or it might be something mechanical like an excessively loose valve clearance. Or, given how noisy these engines seem to be overall, it might be completely normal.

With just 500 miles I'd be surprised if anything was actually wrong. Is your oil level okay? Try verifying all of the spark plugs are tight. Try verifying that the exhaust flange nuts are all cinched down.

Host your vid on Youtube (it takes a minute to create an account; indeed, it will take longer to upload a video than it will to create an account there) and post a link.

Thanks for the YouTube idea. I have 2 quick video clips. The first 1 you can really hear the ticking, 2nd one not so much. Oil change was just done, and the level reads just under the full mark when engine is cold. I'll be checking the plugs and exhaust flange nuts later today.

YouTube

YouTube

Ryaaaan

Thanks for the YouTube idea. I have 2 quick video clips. The first 1 you can really hear the ticking, 2nd one not so much. Oil change was just done, and the level reads just under the full mark when engine is cold. I'll be checking the plugs and exhaust flange nuts later today.

YouTube

YouTube

Ryaaaan

YouTube

YouTube

kodoq88

I have that sound too and I've been wondering the same but since I have that since I got it from dealer I guess that's normal