ECU Reflashing - PC-V Alternative??

BeachinFZ8

I read an article in Sportrider magazine about sending off your ECU to ECUnleashed and having it "Re-Flashed" as an alternative to going the Power Commander route. | MotorSport ECU Tuning | Flashing | Remapping | Chip Tuning – ECUnleashed Tuning Technology: The Go To…To Go Fast Company .

It creates all new maps like the PC and also raises max rpm, idle, and max speed. They also describe how their maps improve behavior when you close the throttle by not completely shutting down fuel flow. They claim a 6-12% increase in horsepower and Sportrider Magazine confirmed it in their test on a Kawi ZX-10R.

Yamaha YZF-R1 Graves Exhaust, Power Commander V and ECUnleashed - Sport Rider Magazine

This option is new to me and I haven't seen any talk about it except for that article. I like the concept of it as it does go beyond what a PC does for not much more money and there is nothing additional wired up under the seat.

Is anyone familiar with this process? Any reasons why a Power Commander is a better option?

C

Camo

Mate, I've not heard anything about it but am very keen to know more!
Thanks for pointing it out.

C

calscrazy

alot of the ducati monster owners reflash their ecu's. i would say they have about a 90% success rate. the other 10% have to send it back and have it done again. i would prob go the pc route. i know its a piggy back but you can find people local to tune it on the dyno. downside to reflash is if its not to your liking you have to constantly pull it and send it to them. you could always go with a nemesis or some other stand alone ecu.

BeachinFZ8

Thanks Calscrazy -

Those are some important things to consider before I think about flashing the ECU. My concern with the PC was me screwing the thing up trying to install or program it. I need to study up on this some more.

C

calscrazy

all three ways have their ups and downs. the stand alone ecu is more for racers than anything.

C

calscrazy

most of us will never have a bike modded enough to use a fully programmable stand alone ecu. IMO i figure you need a fully programmable stand alone ecu if you had the internal engine beefed up (i.e. head work, pistons, block bored). not to mention they are insanely expensive. anywhere from $800 to $1500 dollars. cool yes! i just dont see the reason for needing one for use on a commuter that hits the weekend twisties. just my opinion but feel free to spend how you like it's not my money.

BeachinFZ8

The ECU reflash from ECUnleased is only $450 - I believe that is the company that Hellgate went through. From what I read it doesn't take you to trackbike level.

I'm not looking to go anywhere near trackbike performance, I would have just bought an R1 if I wanted that. I love my FZ8 and don't really have any complaints with the bike while accelerating except the flat spot (5-6k), but I know this engine easily has a bit more snap in it so I wouldn't mind tapping into that a bit. I'd really like to improve its behavior on decel - tone down engine brake and backfire.

This is my first fuel injected bike. I'm happy to be rid of carbs, but now I have some studying to do about electronics and I need to find a local tuner. It's going to be a while before I decide or spend on this mod anyhow. For now I'll continue to study up and improve my own skills with the throttle.

C

calscrazy

just make sure its not one of those you have to send back to reflash everytime you add something. either that or do your performance mods first so you dont have to worry about it.

BeachinFZ8

I e-mailed over to superbiketoystore.com who I thought was my closest dealer for ECUleashed. I got an unexpected response - friendly but unexpected. They recommend doing BOTH a reflash AND a PC to get everything just right.

I doubt this is BS - but it is way more than my budget is ready to part with. To me this would just open the door to more spending, you get the engined tuned up proper and then you'll want suspension to go along with it and now you're looking at putting over 3 grand into the bike which defeats the purpose of getting your paws on a good solid bike that is sporty enough for less than 8 grand out the door.

For now at least the FZ8 and me will just continue to spend quality time together and I'll get better at learning to work around her temperamental ways.

They were even kind enough to point out that there is another authorized dealer 120 miles closer to me that I would be able to work with in person much more easily. - Below is a copy of the e-mail:

All of our maps are custom tailored to each bike and their mods. However, getting the correct A/F mixture is tricky and we do recommend a fuel module to "dial-in" your bike.

The cost of the flash is 449.00, and we can do it any way that works best for you. There is however, a dealer of ours in Sarasota: Dynoworks.

Dynoworks, inc
1525 N. Lime Ave
Sarasota, FL 34237
Phone: 941.366.2929
Email: [email protected]

If you would like us to work with you, that's great. If you want to work with our dealer, that works too. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Thanks!

Superbiketoystore.com also gives prices in British Pounds and Aussie Dollars and they have some good stuff on their site.

H

Hoover

Unless you are doing track days every weekend, is this really neccessary on the 8.
This is probably the smoothest bike I have ever owned. I use it for commuting, playing, thrashing, riding twisties. I have a K&N and Yoshi can and it pulls all the way through the redline in every gear without so much as a hiccup. If I wanted a ton more power, I would have bought a different bike.
Yes I know that this bikes price is one of it's more attractive features, but all this extra money on a flash or power commander seems to me to be a waste.:2cents:

Rhyno54

BeachinFZ8, I'm kinda in the same situation, PCV or ECU flash/tune, in my research the ECU flashing IMO is the way to go, my FZ8 as for as performance mods are a two-brothers slip on and a k&n air filter. From what I gathered there IS a noticeable in crease in power, not too much but enough. That's what I was looking for, to get more power outta my bike. In the next week or so i'm sending out my ECU to get flashed, one gentleman I talked with was Turbo Joe, he only charges $200 to get your ECU flashed, you let him know what performance mods you've done to the bike and makes the adjustment and he sends it back to you. One of the members on this board has his number

Johnfd3

BeachinFZ8, I'm kinda in the same situation, PCV or ECU flash/tune, in my research the ECU flashing IMO is the way to go, my FZ8 as for as performance mods are a two-brothers slip on and a k&n air filter. From what I gathered there IS a noticeable in crease in power, not too much but enough. That's what I was looking for, to get more power outta my bike. In the next week or so i'm sending out my ECU to get flashed, one gentleman I talked with was Turbo Joe, he only charges $200 to get your ECU flashed, you let him know what performance mods you've done to the bike and makes the adjustment and he sends it back to you. One of the members on this board has his number

Yep Turbo Joe's number is 917-238-2050. Also you can message him thru FB. I have mine getting flashed tomorrow and shipped back for $200+ shipping.