ECU flashing

Blackfin

One thing I forgot to mention regarding the air-box mod and AIS blocking is emissions, since I live in Cali we have pretty strict smog laws, can't even get full exhaust here only slip-ons due to C.A.R.B. they might even start smoging bikes, so i'm worried that if i do the air-box mod and AIS blocking is that's gonna interfere with emissions then if it doesn't pass i won't be able to register it, just wanna make sure before i commit to doing the air-box mod that's all.

AIS blocking is only needed if you don't care for the popping in the exhaust during deceleration. TBH, this is only really an issue for guys with catless headers because it can get quite loud. Most guys with slip-ons on the stock header like the burbly exhaust.

If you're worried, leave the AIS alone, open up the airbox and run the stock header/cat.

Perhaps you can leave the system intact and make it selectively active by, say, a ball valve in the AIS supply line:

Put it somewhere you can reach it while remaining otherwise hidden. Open it for the testing, close it to reduce the popping :)

Last edited:

Keach

One thing I forgot to mention regarding the air-box mod and AIS blocking is emissions, since I live in Cali we have pretty strict smog laws, can't even get full exhaust here only slip-ons due to C.A.R.B. they might even start smoging bikes, so i'm worried that if i do the air-box mod and AIS blocking is that's gonna interfere with emissions then if it doesn't pass i won't be able to register it, just wanna make sure before i commit to doing the air-box mod that's all.

I doubt the airbox mod is going to do much to affect emissions. The ais system is for better emissions. I believe the only "advantage" to disabling the ais is to stop the exhaust backfires. You can plug the hose while leaving the system in place that way if you need to pass emissions you could just unplug it and reconnect it. The flash more or less disables the ais electronically. After I got my flash I uncapped and hooked up my ais and my exhaust still doesn't backfire (I'm one of the few that likes decel pops).

Honestly if you are worried about it I wouldn't disable the ais or cut the airbox. IMO neither did a whole lot for performance. The flash will be noticeable with or without the airbox mod. The airbox mod alone will not be noticeable. And the ais disabled does nothing but stop the decel pops. Well that's my experience anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhyno54

Ok i've decided to leave the air-box alone regarding the ECU flash, i'm gonna leave the AIS hooked up to the air-box and not plug it, although the ECU flash disables the AIS would it pass emissions even though it's disabled but still hooked up to the air-box, if i understood you correctly, or if your saying when I get the ECU flashed have them leave the AIS alone?. In a way i kinda like the decel pops.

Last edited:

Umyaya

Interesting... I wonder how all the other FZ8 riders in California have full exhausts with the airbox mod and no AIS system with the flash and ride their bikes just fine... I highly doubt all the bikes I see on Youtube or what I saw this summer qualified under the emissioms tests if you are saying you can't have a full exhaust.

Last edited:

Keach

Ok i've decided to leave the air-box alone regarding the ECU flash, i'm gonna leave the AIS hooked up to the air-box and not plug it, although the ECU flash disables the AIS would it pass emissions even though it's disabled but still hooked up to the air-box, if i understood you correctly, or if your saying when I get the ECU flashed have them leave the AIS alone?. In a way i kinda like the decel pops.

Like you mentioned I would see if whoever you are having do the flash can leave the ais functioning. I just know that the generic flashtune flash I used disabled it (which effectively was the same as removing or plugging it). I dont have to worry about emissions where I'm at thankfully. Used to have to deal with it for my car tho. Now for the car in Illinois they just plug into the obd2 and if there are no codes thrown you pass. Not sure what they do in CA so I really can't say if it would pass or not. My guess is the airbox wouldn't make it fail and the ais might, but that's really just a guess. Either way if u don't mind the decel pops and you can get a flash that doesn't disable the ais, you should be all good.

You should contact turbojoe tuned. He is on Facebook (and I think on the forum) and his shop is out of CA. Lots of people are using his flash. He has a fz8 he developed a flash for and lives in CA so the emissions question I'm sure he could answer. I think his prices are good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhyno54

Well if they got full exhaust on their FZ8's they did so illegally, performance shops and dealerships cannot order full exhaust for you, you could order it but you would have to have it shipped to a relative or a PO box outta state then either go pick it up or have a relative ship it to you, i've already researched it. And if their using a full exhaust I hope they kept their old headers, cuss from what my gf has mentioned since she works for the DMV if they start smoging bikes those people with full exhaust systems won't be able to pass smog and if they can't pass smog then they can't register their bikes here. Cali has some of the strictest smog laws in the country which sucks. The only performance exhaust systems you can get here have to be C.A.R.B. compliant which are basically slip-ons lol.I guess I could call TJ and ask him regarding the AIS and emissions

G

GNoiZZ

Well if they got full exhaust on their FZ8's they did so illegally, performance shops and dealerships cannot order full exhaust for you, you could order it but you would have to have it shipped to a relative or a PO box outta state then either go pick it up or have a relative ship it to you, i've already researched it. And if their using a full exhaust I hope they kept their old headers, cuss from what my gf has mentioned since she works for the DMV if they start smoging bikes those people with full exhaust systems won't be able to pass smog and if they can't pass smog then they can't register their bikes here. Cali has some of the strictest smog laws in the country which sucks. The only performance exhaust systems you can get here have to be C.A.R.B. compliant which are basically slip-ons lol.I guess I could call TJ and ask him regarding the AIS and emissions

First of all i highly doubt that there will be a emission test for motorcycles in Cali, how often did they try to bring it? As far as i researched over google they decided to not bring it because after weighting it out they realized that the costs are to high compared to the benefits, and Cali is broke, and will be broke as long i live.....lol. As far i know the Cops could cite you for not having a cat, but never saw or heard about it happen (gutted cats are not that obvious) , and i didn't meet much people who still had a cat. The airbox mod should make your bike run theoretical more lean = better for emissions test, but the bike will be louder. A flash on the other hand will affect your emissions test pretty sure, my flashed bimmer had to be re flashed before emissions back in Europe.

I guess should they ever bring it, the most people will just borrow a header for the test, and flash the OEM map. 30 min work and she is stock, another 30 min and full power again.

Last edited:

Rhyno54

I'm just more concerned about the AIS being disabled than anything, i mean I'll keep the headers stock but get it flashed and if i can get it flashed while keeping the AIS enabled then fine( i don't mind the decel pops). Just don't want have to keep reflashing if they decide to smog. I understand that the AIS helps with emissions in some way, doesn't it have something to do with the cat converter on burning unused gas or something of that effect. Just trying to be thorough

G

GNoiZZ

I'm just more concerned about the AIS being disabled than anything, i mean I'll keep the headers stock but get it flashed and if i can get it flashed while keeping the AIS enabled then fine( i don't mind the decel pops). Just don't want have to keep reflashing if they decide to smog. I understand that the AIS helps with emissions in some way, doesn't it have something to do with the cat converter on burning unused gas or something of that effect. Just trying to be thorough

In the flash-tune software TurboJoe is using you can disable the AIS or let it oem, when you should go with him just tell him what you want. I have it disabled now, before the flash only blocked. My bike was more then just a popping when riding hard with a Joshi R77 installed ;-), more like loud canon fire, and i didn't want to scare/shock people behind or around me causing in the worst case a accident, especially not in the state of California where so much people try to get rich through a law suit.

I would guess your smallest problem would be the AIS should Cali become even more stupid, i don't think you would pass a smog test no matter where with a flashed bike/car, at least i never did back in Europe. . After the flash my bike is running richer then before, which results automatically in higher emissions. Yamaha detuned the bike for a reason...most likely to pass federal emission laws.

Last edited:

Blackfin

Q: Why disable AIS in the tune at all?

AIS uses an ECU-controlled solenoid to allow the passage fresh, filtered air from the air cleaner housing down past two reed-style checkvalves and into the exhaust ports where it's used to assist in burning up remaining HCs in the exhaust prior to the cat. If one's goal is to simply stop the popping in the exhaust why not just plug the fresh air tube and leave everything else as-is?

What's the benefit to disabling it in the tune? Is the idea to remove the hardware -- the solenoid, tubes, valves etc and the tune prevents an error code?

Why remove it all? Not much of a weight savings there and you need to purchase blockoff plates and thus spend additional money.

Instead of using a dowel to plug the line when not make it selectable, as I suggested elsewhere, by putting a little manual ballvalve inline with the fresh air tube? On the day of inspection, open the valve to allow the system to function normally and afterward, close it up to get rid of popping...

What am I missing?

G

GNoiZZ

I removed the AIS and used a hose from the AIS system to close the loop, disabled it because i didn't wanted to have power on the lines anymore. I did this not for weight savings more for having more space to change spark plugs, which turned out to work much better for me.

IMAG1302_zps816e726c.jpg

Rhyno54

GnoiZZ you mentioned that after you had yours flashed the bike runs a little richer would that be the reason for the air-box mod to help lean it out a little. Also how big of a hole did you cut in your box, or should i say about what's the average size to cut.

Umyaya

GnoiZZ you mentioned that after you had yours flashed the bike runs a little richer would that be the reason for the air-box mod to help lean it out a little. Also how big of a hole did you cut in your box, or should i say about what's the average size to cut.

You can seriously cut it as big as you want. If you can't dexide just flip a coin on cutting the entire bottom or around the stock hole.

Rhyno54

Well i decide to just say screw it and sent out my ECU to get flashed don't really give a shit about the AIS being enabled or not anymore, whatever Joe does that's fine with me tired of worrying about the AIS. Thnx for all who responded to my thread, the next mod i want to do is a suspension upgrade any suggestions on what brand, i'm on a budget so i want to keep it within reason, i've heard the r1 and fz1 front and rear suspensions can be pretty much swapped out, is that true? or are there modifications you would have to do to make it work. Thnx for responding

Umyaya

Just do the FZ1 shock and FZ1 internals drop right in.. If you get an R1 shock you will have to get a satan adapter.. What is your budget? I do recommend picking up some progressive front fork springs. Also honestly what type of riding are you doing? Are you commuting and joy riding or are you the guy when I Youtube Muholland Riders who is dragging knee around the mountain?

Last edited: