ECU flashing

Rhyno54

I read a recent thread on this forum regarding ECU flashing, since i've decided to get mine done as well, the question I had was what kind of hp gains could i expect to see at the wheel with a K&N air filter and a slip-on exhaust. One gentleman stated that he got 106 hp at the wheel with a Bazzaz, but also mentioned that the bike was running to lean. Could I expect to see around the same numbers, I'm gonna have TurboJoe do my ECU flash, does anyone here know what his flash nets at the wheel, and is a 105-110 hp at the wheel a common increase in performance or would it be slightly lower. Thanks

jmsandy77

I read a recent thread on this forum regarding ECU flashing, since i've decided to get mine done as well, the question I had was what kind of hp gains could i expect to see at the wheel with a K&N air filter and a slip-on exhaust. One gentleman stated that he got 106 hp at the wheel with a Bazzaz, but also mentioned that the bike was running to lean. Could I expect to see around the same numbers, I'm gonna have TurboJoe do my ECU flash, does anyone here know what his flash nets at the wheel, and is a 105-110 hp at the wheel a common increase in performance or would it be slightly lower. Thanks

Take everyone's HP claims with a grain of salt. Actual HP numbers will vary from bike to bike depending on many factors such as elevation, actual bike/motor, fuel type used, etc. I have Joe's Tune. It indeed makes the bike even better than it already is, removed the gear restrictions and in my opinion is worth every $ spent. All $100 of em. Don't be concerned with actual HP numbers. It makes no difference what so ever. Just know that it will help and makes the bike that much more "rideable." It's been stated that even with a flash/PC5 and AutoTune or a Bazzaz ZFI that the most the bike makes to the wheels is 100 HP. For me that's plenty. It would be far more beneficial for you to work on your riding skills to extract the most from this bike. Then do suspension upgrades if need be. Those items will help you much more than the 1 or 2 extra HP you seem so worried about.

Bagman

Take everyone's HP claims with a grain of salt. Actual HP numbers will vary from bike to bike depending on many factors such as elevation, actual bike/motor, fuel type used, etc. I have Joe's Tune. It indeed makes the bike even better than it already is, removed the gear restrictions and in my opinion is worth every $ spent. All $100 of em. Don't be concerned with actual HP numbers. It makes no difference what so ever. Just know that it will help and makes the bike that much more "rideable." It's been stated that even with a flash/PC5 and AutoTune or a Bazzaz ZFI that the most the bike makes to the wheels is 100 HP. For me that's plenty. It would be far more beneficial for you to work on your riding skills to extract the most from this bike. Then do suspension upgrades if need be. Those items will help you much more than the 1 or 2 extra HP you seem so worried about.

Indeed.

SBGuy

So not to take over the thread or anything but im in a similar situation as Rhyno54. I currently have a PCV and am looking for a tune (possibly Guhls). When doing this do I need to keep the PCV when doing this or can i just have the tune and be okay? Sorry again for asking in someone elses post.

Bagman

But is it really needed at that point?

Contact Guhl`s, and let them know you have a PCV. Let them also know your other mods or immediately planned performance mods you might have in the works. Perhaps they can flash your ECU specifically to your bike - knowing you have the PCV & then help you get a map for the PCV that will take full advantage of the ECU flash. Either way, I think Guhl`s or Turbojoe would be more than happy to answer the question - and they would be your best source.

Rhyno54

thanks for the response, i was just curious that's all, i have a few mods i want to do to the bike, the flash is one of them then a belly pan, radiator side covers, bar end mirrors, suspension upgrade(just don't know which one i'll go with, any tips on that are greatly appreciated) then maybe some time down the the line i'll put a set of headers on it. I plan on keeping the bike for awhile then i'll trade it in for a bigger bike, like a speed trip r

Bagman

I won't argue the enjoyment some people get out of tinkering & modifying their cars or bikes - but don't lose sight of the financial side of things, especially if finances are tight. If you plan to get a Speed Triple R down the road, consider just enjoying the FZ8 for what it is. Take the money you planned to spend on expensive items like headers and suspension, and dump it into savings. When ready down the road, get the all around better & faster bike (TripleR).

Aside from the bit of advice - I would do the HyperPro Streetbox for suspension. If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much. ;-)

Rhyno54

Thanks bagman, i understand what your saying, I'm gonna plan on keeping the bike for a few years then eventually trade it in once i get it paid for.

Umyaya

Contact Guhl`s, and let them know you have a PCV. Let them also know your other mods or immediately planned performance mods you might have in the works. Perhaps they can flash your ECU specifically to your bike - knowing you have the PCV & then help you get a map for the PCV that will take full advantage of the ECU flash. Either way, I think Guhl`s or Turbojoe would be more than happy to answer the question - and they would be your best source.

If you keep the PCV you will have to zero out all the air/fuel ratios on the table since the map will be loaded onto the ECU. So essentially the PC5 is not doing anything... You could flash the ECU and then Dyno the bike and fine tune the map then upload it to the PC5 to work with the tune since when they flash it they won't have your bike on the dyno but basically a map with the same mods...so it still could not be 100 percent perfect.. different riding environment or other things.. etc... I just sold my PC5 right after I flashed it.

Umyaya

thanks for the response, i was just curious that's all, i have a few mods i want to do to the bike, the flash is one of them then a belly pan, radiator side covers, bar end mirrors, suspension upgrade(just don't know which one i'll go with, any tips on that are greatly appreciated) then maybe some time down the the line i'll put a set of headers on it. I plan on keeping the bike for awhile then i'll trade it in for a bigger bike, like a speed trip r

Everyone wants bigger and faster... especially for street use I always just remember that the bike doesn't make the rider.. I know guys that would smoke me and ricky racers on rockets on 250cc's.

dtbrown

Hands down a good ECU flash for the money will be one of the few power mods you can actually notice the difference. It's not going to blow your mind but you'll notice the difference compared to just an exhaust and K&N filter. I did Joes flash and for the price not complaining.

Rhyno54

Got my bike at the dealership to get the ECU taken out so I can send it to Turbo Joe to get it flashed with a slip-on and a k&n air filter mod, still thinking about doing the air-box mod, is it worth it? will an air-box mod really gain any more power? still debating. I gotta decide soon on wether or not to do it before i send the ECU out, any advice? and if i decide to do the air-box mod how big of a hole do i need to cut.

Last edited:

Umyaya

Yeah I would do it since I'm assuming TJ will flash it with the jumbo map or something similiar. The map was tuned with the airbox mod so I would try to get it as close as possible. You can cut the hole as big as you want.... I cut the entire bottom out but many people will drill 3 small 1 inch holes or they will just cut it a little bigger around the raised area since the stock hole looks kind of like it has a small velocity stack around it.

Wait.. you took your bike to a dealer to take the ECU out? I really hope you aren't paying a lot for that.... are you getting other work done to it? I am litterally the shittiest hands on person with no fix it skills and have learned to do the basic stuff.. saves me a lot of money and I find it kind of fun/interesting to learn and work on the bike you get to ride. Fulfills the whole experience. Also the amount of dealership horror stories....

Last edited:

Rhyno54

I'm the same way when it comes to wrenching on stuff, much different than working on an old car pre-70's, used wrench on muscle cars with my dad when is was a kid. I tried to take it out myself got as far as the ECU but couldn't get it out, since it's under the air-box, the dealership is only gonna charge me $100 to un-install and re-install the ECU, so I decided to take it to them. I saw some people cut an similar size hole to the stock air-box hole, i'm just worried that with an hf air filter and a bigger hole in the air-box it will run to lean since i only have a slip-on. I know that bikes and cars are different, I remember that when it comes to old muscle cars intake and exhaust are one of the simplest ways to increase hp, but as you increase intake you have to increase the exhaust i.e. stock exhaust as oppossed to a full exhaust if that makes sense. i know this my seem like a stupid question but does the air come in from the bottom of the air-box or on top.

Last edited:

Keach

I'm the same way when it comes to wrenching on stuff, much different than working on an old car pre-70's, used wrench on muscle cars with my dad when is was a kid. I tried to take it out myself got as far as the ECU but couldn't get it out, since it's under the air-box, the dealership is only gonna charge me $100 to un-install and re-install the ECU, so I decided to take it to them. I saw some people cut an similar size hole to the stock air-box hole, i'm just worried that with an hf air filter and a bigger hole in the air-box it will run to lean since i only have a slip-on. I know that bikes and cars are different, I remember that when it comes to old muscle cars intake and exhaust are one of the simplest ways to increase hp, but as you increase intake you have to increase the exhaust i.e. stock exhaust as oppossed to a full exhaust if that makes sense. i know this my seem like a stupid question but does the air come in from the bottom of the air-box or on top.

Air comes in through the bottom of the box. I cut a similar sized hole in mine. Debating if I'm going to go with arrow headers now and do another reflash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spudrees

Air comes in through the bottom of the box. I cut a similar sized hole in mine. Debating if I'm going to go with arrow headers now and do another reflash...

Where abouts in Hampshire are u Keach?
Who did ur flash?

Rhyno54

One thing I forgot to mention regarding the air-box mod and AIS blocking is emissions, since I live in Cali we have pretty strict smog laws, can't even get full exhaust here only slip-ons due to C.A.R.B. they might even start smoging bikes, so i'm worried that if i do the air-box mod and AIS blocking is that's gonna interfere with emissions then if it doesn't pass i won't be able to register it, just wanna make sure before i commit to doing the air-box mod that's all.

Keach

Where abouts in Hampshire are u Keach?
Who did ur flash?

It's a small town, on the west side. Are you from the area? I have a flashtune generic flash done by one of the guys on the other forum.