eBay GT-Air

tout1jn

So I just got a Shoei GT-Air I ordered on ebay. It shipped from Japan took a really long time to get here, but I got it for $390 brand new. Came with everything, pinlock insert, chin guard, info sticker on visor, helmet bag, etc. But it doesn't have the DOT sticker on the back and it has a ratchet clasp rather than the double d-ring and all the instructions are in Japanese. I'm guessing this is just the one they sell in Japan, still legit GT-Air just not the one they sell here. Does anyone know if there is anything I should be worried about. The helmet seems solid, have not ridden with it yet. For $130 or so off Revzilla, I can do without the double d ring and the DOT sticker. Thoughts?

Bagman

in Michigan - do you have to be wearing a DOT approved helmet to be legal? No sticker, no DOT approval.

tout1jn

Don't need a helmet at all in Michigan. I saw you can buy DOT stickers from Amazon and the sorts, thought about doing that. Totally sketchy, but whatever. Think there are any actual quality or structural differences?

Bagman

If it's a legit helmet made by Shoei for Japan then I really wouldn't worry about any structural issues - unless you're racist and think you're more important than a Japanese person. LOL. Read: good enough for them - good enough for you. I suppose you could research on the interwebs, and figure out if Japan does not require DOT cert. If not, and it's a legit Shoei helmet, then Shoei just did not have to spend money to have DOT put a sticker on the helmet. I could almost guarantee there is NO difference between the DOT certified helmet and the one not. Would make no sense for Shoei to manufacture two separate helmets.

Again.. this is all on the belief you bought a genuine made-by-Shoei helmet.

F3NIX

I have an GT Air that i bought here state side. The only question i have for you is...why worry about $130 when your already spending $400 on something that can save your life? You risked $390 on a helmet that may or not be the real thing? I would have asked these questions before ordering it. I spent the $500 at a local dealer here and the good news its the best helmet i have ever owned. Just dont understand the logic, but then again i dont understand why people ride without helmets. Good luck.

F3NIX

Btw..i did find an after market dark visor for the GT Air. Shoei doesnt make them available because of the slide down visor thats in the helmet. But i hate clear visors. Hit me up if you are interested in the info