Earplugs?

alexk

Weekend Rider
TorontoAlex, Check out etymotics.com for headphones made for custom earbuds.

If you're good with a soldering iron, you can graft their headphones onto an existing comm system.

That said, keep in mind that headphones block very little noise, and instead add more to blot it out. End result? Hearing damage AND you can't hear the car behind you lock up its brakes.

alexk

Weekend Rider
He was asking about custom earplug-fitted-headphones, not standard earbuds or helmet-mounts.

There are a couple cheap DIY putty kits, but they don't seal nearly as well as the etymotics sets. They tend to be more for holding in place than blocking exterior noise.

SENA does make some excellent units, though. Eventually I plan on installing one inside my helmet so that I can use it for nav directions, etc. And, given that I do half my riding around 2am, being able to call in the drunks would be a good thing.

Marthy

I have a set of custom earn plug... I won't suggest anyone to use those. I ride once with them and they cut noise way too much. You can get some with foam instead that are way cheaper (remeber paying close to $200 for mine to use has pit crew. Indycar/Grand-Am and American Le-Mans)

Look at Racing Radio...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

tzortn

Pillion
I consider my ear plugs as much a part of my safety gear as my helmet. When I first started riding I found that riding without them is a lot more fatiguing. Since then I have read things where "they" said that ear plugs can help you hear important things better because the plugs kill background white noise.

I recently picked up a Radians custom molded ear plug kit on Amazon ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Red/dp/B002XULPSQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376343248&sr=8-2&keywords=radians+custom+molded+earplugs]Amazon.com: Radians Custom Molded Earplugs (Red): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]). These are great. The first set I made I split the material evenly but the resulting plugs were a little bulky for my liking. So I bought another kit and used about 2/3 of the material. I can wear those all day and hear important sounds. Some people use this to mold custom ear buds.

e11charlie

Until I started using an iPod I would use these. Military issue. Single flange style. They blocked out the sharp noises like the crack of a rifle but allowed voice commands to be heard. These were far superior to allow voices to be heard compared to what they are issuing now. They are hard to find now.

Gem rod

So ended up buying some cheap disposable earplugs to try it. Just wondering how many of y'all prefer to ride with them. I gotta admit with my noisy helmet it is quite pleasant. I think it is more necessary for when your on the highways though. I already stalled the bike with it in my ear riding around town. Haha. Yeaaaa I'm Mr. Dopey. lol. :D:p:fiddy:

I just brought a pack myself ready for a 500 mile round trip. It's the wind noise that upsets me and I have sensitive hearing. My helmet is an expensive make but it still doesn't protect me from wind noise.

Although I do tend to crank up the speed a little though..........:cool: