Doesn't start in the cold?

NYC_fz8

So,

here's what is quite possibly the most retarded question you saw here yet: how the hell do I start this bike when it's cold out? :D

It was 14 degrees F this morning, tried to start the bike and it didn't.. pretty lights lit up on the dashboard, as usual, but that's about it. when I try to actually start it, it doesn't start. the wheel is spinning but the hampster is dead, as the saying goes.

What's the deal? It's not a carburated bike, so there's no choke or anything.. what gives?

hypo

you've had a bike before so you know about the "gotta be in Neutral or pull the clutch in with the kickstand up" rule....

I would go with a frozen switch if the hamster is spinning the starter fast enough... either the kickstand switch or the clutch switch or... hmmmm... there's no fuel switch... the battery is brand new right?

NYC_fz8

you've had a bike before so you know about the "gotta be in Neutral or pull the clutch in with the kickstand up" rule....

I would go with a frozen switch if the hamster is spinning the starter fast enough... either the kickstand switch or the clutch switch or... hmmmm... there's no fuel switch... the battery is brand new right?

Yeah, this isn't my first bike.. :)

And yah, the whole thing is brand new. I've got 5.3mi on the odometer: the distance from the yamaha dealer to where the bike's parked now :D

hypo

thats crazy! If you're spinning the solenoid, then you know you got spark and the battery isn't loose...

IS THE SOLENOID SPINNING?

lights lighting is a good sign for the existence and connection of a battery, but batteries are SEVERELY affected by cold weather, and if you keep that bad boy outside, and that bike has been waiting for you for this long or they slapped an old battery in there, your battery might not have the cold crankin amps to do it man.

NYC_fz8

thats crazy! If you're spinning the solenoid, then you know you got spark and the battery isn't loose...

IS THE SOLENOID SPINNING?

lights lighting is a good sign for the existence and connection of a battery, but batteries are SEVERELY affected by cold weather, and if you keep that bad boy outside, and that bike has been waiting for you for this long or they slapped an old battery in there, your battery might not have the cold crankin amps to do it man.

Hmm. Well, I rode it home for those 5 miles and then parked it for the next 14 hours outside, in the cold. The battery is brand new, they didn't slap an old one in there.

Is the solenoid spinning.. hm.. I think so. The bike just makes a noise when I press the "start engine" button that sounds like its trying to turn over the engine but fails. Sounds exactly like a carburated bike does when it needs the choke.

The old '02 ZX6E also has troubles starting up in the cold, but it had a choke that always helped :)

This thing, though.. how the hell do I start it? :D

H

Hoover

If it turns over then your stand is up and it is in neutral. You have 5 miles on this thing...Call your dealer.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Hell i'd push start the damn thing and see if it would fire up. if it does id ride it around warm it up and see if it started normal.

hypo

that SCREAMS a frozen sensor at me. it can't see the bikes in neutral or something... Glad you got it running!