Does shifting loosen up in first 600 miles?

decooney

Problem solved. The dealer was correct in their recommendation, even when I originally questioned the tightness of the chain day-1. Its clear now, the bike just needed some more miles on it. In addition, now I put a little more attention on toe placement. Now that I have some more time on it, I do notice I am shifting it exactly how I did when I first started riding it new with 3 miles on it. It was definitely tighter starting off as compared to now at 115 miles or so.

Started out cold on the 2nd trip out, and immediately noticed an improvement in shifting right away. Put another 60 miles on it. Clicking away each mile with a lot of stops/starts hoping to break it in more intentionally, things improved gradually and notably on both up and down shifts. My buddy now has about 30 more miles on his new 2012 FZ8 and reported exactly the same thing which is good to know for comparison purposes.

The more I ride it and get use to it - I definitely like the FZ8, alot. Its even better than I thought it was going to be. It fits and performs perfectly for the type and style of riding I'm using it for. Overall, sure seems like an incredible value for the performance, handling, and looks. Case closed. Really like the bike. Its awesome. Looking forward to more break in miles!
THANKS.:)

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I'm up to 950 miles on the odometer now. I went for a long ride yesterday and immediately noticed that the shifting was smoother. I changed the oil about 100 miles ago. I don't really understand what happened to smooth it up, but I'm really glad it did.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I'm up to 950 miles on the odometer now. I went for a long ride yesterday and immediately noticed that the shifting was smoother. I changed the oil about 100 miles ago. I don't really understand what happened to smooth it up, but I'm really glad it did.

950 miles.... you are running the wheels off of that machine, in 2 years you will have 2000 miles and need an overhaul LOL. What oil did you choose?

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Belray EXL 10W-40 motorcycle oil.

As far as the mileage is concerned, I've been really disappointed in the number of weekends I've had to work on other projects instead of riding. I've tried to make up for it by riding to work every day, but I have a 3 mile commute so that doesn't add much. I'll be riding throughout the winter however.

F

Fazed

Yeah it does feel smoother after the first oil change. I noticed that one mine too.

B

bren

I haven't done the 1000km service, but will be booking it in for the 6000 next week.. I often feel its a bit stiff when going up the gears!

trahajopro86

I'm happy to hear that some of you are reporting smoother shifting after break in. This is my first street bike in like 15 years. I was raised on dirt and none of my bikes have ever shifted this hard. If they did, I just had to adjust the slack out of the clutch cable and it would be good. I know that my CRF450 and XR650 are like comparing apples and oranges to my new FZ8, but the shifting on the FZ8 seems hard and clunky. It's only got like 75 miles on it though. Hopefully it will improve with some more miles.

-Tracy

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I'm happy to hear that some of you are reporting smoother shifting after break in. This is my first street bike in like 15 years. I was raised on dirt and none of my bikes have ever shifted this hard. If they did, I just had to adjust the slack out of the clutch cable and it would be good. I know that my CRF450 and XR650 are like comparing apples and oranges to my new FZ8, but the shifting on the FZ8 seems hard and clunky. It's only got like 75 miles on it though. Hopefully it will improve with some more miles.

-Tracy

you know what man, I dont think mine got smoother, i think i figured out how to ride it better. i did dirtbikes to and they have a little "squish" for lack of a better term. these bikes are kinda unforgiving on the shifting :/

socal

>Brand new 2012 FZ8 at 52 miles so far<

I'm hoping the transmission on my new FZ8 is just tight and needs more miles to break in. I've had 20+ motorcycles in my life, and none shifted this firm or required extra shift attempts to go into gear. The clutch cable was adjusted by the dealer at setup time. Just want to run this by members here to see if I just need miles on the bike.

52 miles so far. I often hit a wall moving from 2nd to 3rd gear, and it won't go in 3rd on the first try about 50% of the time. If I roll off the throttle, clutch and try again it goes into 3rd okay and then it might do the same in 5th too. Same thing happens some times going from 4th to 5th. It feels very firm at times like its just tight. Sometimes downshifting is firm too, having to try twice to go down a gear or two. I figured out to get around this if I pull in the clutch and wait a half second longer before shifting AND if I make very deliberate (quick) shifts it allows me to shift through 3rd and 5th more often without hitting a wall so to speak.

Question:
How many miles on it do I need before it should start to loosen up and start working properly; 600?

Yes it will some just run tight :p