Do you think the pefect naked would have a FZ09 motor and the FZ8 chassis?

ssky0078

I do and wish the next incarnation of the 8 would be just that!

The 8 is extinct, much like the Black Rhino. I seriously doubt that Yamaha will resurrect it.

I do hope they put the 847cc triple in a Tenere package like they have overseas. That would be a kick ass dual sport.

Bajaedition

I really like the 8 just how it is
it is a perfect UJM
the 9 is to light and I really prefer the torque curv of the 8 over the 9

Bajaedition

The FZ8 did not fail in America because it is a bad bike, it is actually a very good bike and it does what it was designed to do really well,
it is an UJM that does nothing wrong, it is a middle weight bike with a great torque curve. It handles well and gets rave reviews
the problem is here in America, we do not like bikes like the FZ8

we want cruisers or racers or offroad bikes. Those are what sells the best in America.

Naked Bikes, street fighters, and hooligan bikes are a nich market here, and we do not buy big enough numbers of them for all the companies that offer them to keep them in the line up

if you would look at a comparo of the class the FZ8 is in you will see all the other bikes get a best in something, and the FZ8 is in the middle, doing nothing wrong but doing nothing so good it captures the best at something. It is always in teh middle of the pack in each category.

What does that mean, it means it beats the other guys in one category or another

but because it does not beat all of them in some category, it is the forgotten wall flower prom date.

I take my 8 on a 250 mile trip, nothing is wrong, I take it on a canyon run, nothing is wrong, I take it to commute to work, nothing is wrong, it does good,

I think I am going keep this bike for quite a while, I do not like cruisers much, I have a sports touring bike, My 1200cc ZZR, I love the balance of the middle weights, not to much power not to much weights, and I have had enough of full faired bikes like the string of GSXR 750s I owned from 1986 to 2003.

I just really like the 8, If I wanted a bike that was more specialized in any category, I would lose the all around appeal of the 8.

DSmith

When people ask me why I bought the FZ8 vs an R6 or R1. I can never put it in exact words, but what Baja said pretty much sums it up. Well said sir.

NoNine4me

I think the perfect Naked bike would be the FZ8 chassis with the FZ8 motor.

Whoops, I guess that would be an FZ8.

FZ9 motor is not all it's cracked up to be and chassis...well, forget it. No matter how much you spend it'll never be an FZ8 chassis. Single-processor ECU, abrupt throttle, and etc, etc, etc.

Don't want it, can't use it.

Now if Yamaha makes a new, revised version of the triple engine (forget the bolt-together FZ-09 chassis) with more compact features and lighter weight, with the dual-processor ECU that all its other nice bikes (R1, R6, FZ1, FZ8) have, I might be interested if it came in a real chassis like the FZ8's.

Otherwise, I love my Eight. No interest in the present triple.

bikee4

That's exactly what I was trying to convey an FZ8 CHASSIS and FZ09 Power and subsequent (motor only) weight loss not the 09 in any other way.

bikee4

"with the dual-processor ECU that all its other nice bikes (R1, R6, FZ1, FZ8)"

I don't understand what this means does my bike have a dual core processor and why would Yamaha make a different one for it's new bike when they already have one for several different models?

FastZ8

I looked at an r6 and a couple of 1000's before I bought the 8 but there was just something about it I had to have. I do a lot of trip riding as opposed to just around town with my friends so I like the fact that its way more comfortable than the SS bikes and I've always loved the streetfighter styling and it has plenty of power for me.I don't ride wide open everywhere I go nor do I need anymore power but not to knock the 8 because this bike is slow by no means. I personally don't like the looks of the 09 I think it looks more like a motard than a naked sportbike which is more my style. Not to mention I've looked at countless videos of them because I was interested in the triple engine but I just plain out don't like the sound but that's just me.

Last edited:

FastZ8

I think a lot of people try and compare the 8 to SS bikes which isnt a fair comparison because it's not.I mean sure it has basically a detuned stroked down r1 engine and sportbike frame but its more compared to the middleweight bmw,triumph and aprilia type bikes in which it fairs pretty well in test and comparison to. I think that's the main reason the 8 gets bad comments. The only real argument is the suspension which I personally don't have a problem with but I only weigh about 140 150 in full gear but the suspension is something that can be modified and changed if the rider so choses to. I think for the price and value you get out of these bikes that shouldnt really be a complaint.

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
The only cool things too me about the 9 is the ycct, the fact it comes with multiple maps...and the dope exahust! Otherwise...the 8 allllllll dayyyyyyy

Bajaedition

bikes will always evolve, look at the gold wing. a 1980s one compared to today's goldwing are quite different. I would not bemoan dual mapping, kinda a cool idea.
technology marches on.

Bajaedition

I think why Yamaha went back to the triple, remember all those triples in the 80s, is because most of America screams for an exotic bike. And triples fuel that because the 4 is a concept that Japan has been behind for40 plus years.
I think that is a shame because the dual plane 4 banger really woke me up when I jumped on the 8. would like to see that developed more.
But then the bike gods have spoken and we with our 8s are going to either sell them to get the next best thing or stick with them a decade till they are tired and need replacement.

:cool:

I want to keep mine and replace my ZZR. that is my opinion, others will have theirs. At 55 I guess the next best thing coming down the pipe is not as important to me as it was 30 years ago when I was in GSXR mode.

Funny because back then when I looked at a road and was about to hit the twisties it was all about the twisties. Now when I look at the same road it is all about the flow.
I used to go for the thrill of the road, I now go and become the road, it is no longer how fast, breaking for the entry, diving into the apex and excelleration on exit. It is now the perfect entry carrying a flowing motion as I pull ballet moves and feel as if I am a river and the road is the bed, I move with the bike and the road, I no longer fight the road to conquer it, I ride the road to become one with it.

we age and we change
our lives change and we change with it
but the road is still calling us,

I ride to live, to feel life, to feel the world around me,
When I am on my bike I am aware
Aware of the fact I am alive and the world embraces me

I breath every breath feel my heart pump blood through my viens
and when I stop on top of a hill and look back
I see where I have been and the deeds I have done

Like a river flowing I have run
down every road I have found
and when I close my eyes for the last time
I will remember the roads I have been down

Life in a cage is not an option, it is a punishment

npeifer2308

The FZ8 did not fail in America because it is a bad bike, it is actually a very good bike and it does what it was designed to do really well,
it is an UJM that does nothing wrong, it is a middle weight bike with a great torque curve. It handles well and gets rave reviews
the problem is here in America, we do not like bikes like the FZ8

we want cruisers or racers or offroad bikes. Those are what sells the best in America.

Naked Bikes, street fighters, and hooligan bikes are a nich market here, and we do not buy big enough numbers of them for all the companies that offer them to keep them in the line up

if you would look at a comparo of the class the FZ8 is in you will see all the other bikes get a best in something, and the FZ8 is in the middle, doing nothing wrong but doing nothing so good it captures the best at something. It is always in teh middle of the pack in each category.

What does that mean, it means it beats the other guys in one category or another

but because it does not beat all of them in some category, it is the forgotten wall flower prom date.

I take my 8 on a 250 mile trip, nothing is wrong, I take it on a canyon run, nothing is wrong, I take it to commute to work, nothing is wrong, it does good,

I think I am going keep this bike for quite a while, I do not like cruisers much, I have a sports touring bike, My 1200cc ZZR, I love the balance of the middle weights, not to much power not to much weights, and I have had enough of full faired bikes like the string of GSXR 750s I owned from 1986 to 2003.

I just really like the 8, If I wanted a bike that was more specialized in any category, I would lose the all around appeal of the 8.

Sums the FZ8 up perfectly and are all the reasons why I went with the FZ8 over a new SS bike.