Disable Parking lights on Key Barrel

sinclap2

Lazy
Does anyone know of an easy way to disable the Parking Light function on the key barrel? I am freaking sick and tired of accidently flicking past OFF and going to the Parking lights.

I know why it is there, so you can lock the steering and then switch the on the parking lights, but is bloody pest! I don't use them and don't want to use them.

I wish it was another step down (like when you lock the forks) to active them.

If this has been asked before, I apologise.

mrthompson

if i am not mistaken, the us model does not have that. so maybe switch to a us ignition,
just would have it keyed to match your current key.

sinclap2

Lazy
Cutting is easy, soldering in the other hand...I havent done in many years and i wasn't much good at it...:D

I was just looking at the rain radar up that way...it looks like our going o get some nice rain from the SE.

F

Fazed

Cutting is easy, soldering in the other hand...I havent done in many years and i wasn't much good at it...:D

I was just looking at the rain radar up that way...it looks like our going o get some nice rain from the SE.

This time of year we get rain from everywhere :) The best thing is the rain is quite refreshing in the hot weather instead of freezing your arse.

I only have a wiring diagram of the Canadian naked version and they don't have that function. I would assume that you could find the wire using a multimeter and cut or de-solder it from the key barrel. Also you could disconnect the wires from the back of the lights for an easier option.

It's funny as I don't seem to have the same problem ??

H

Hoover

Does it turn both fron and rear lights on? If so, just cut it where it comes out of the switch.
Pull the barrel out and use a volt meter to figure out which wire it is.

sinclap2

Lazy
Thanks guys.

It is only a problem when I am in a rush. When I lock the forks quickly and accidently go that one turn/step too far. I just need to be more careful.

Brocky

I only seem to have that problem with leaving the lights on within the first couple of weeks of owning the bike. Wouldn't like to disable it as it does come in handy when parking it quickly whilst opening garage and shuffling cars.

sinclap2

Lazy
Yeah I was the same when I first got the bike, then just got use to it...but lately I have done it a few times.

Fazerboy66

Hi there this has happened to me recently and its a real pain.
I've been stranded and had to wast 4 hours getting buses and trains home with a battery on my back, charge it up again and return to re fit it.

Is this something my local dealer can help with?

I'm reluctant to do anything myself as I'm likely to cut the wrong wires or solder myself to the frame!!

Do you guys get the issues resolved in the end?

Andy

a-rode

Should it occur, i can attest that the FZ8 can be bump started in 2nd Gear.

That said, a multimeter and some time should tell you what wires to eliminate.
Are the parking lights on another fuse or relay? you could theoretically pull that and be done.

pae58

I installed led rear and side lights. No starting probs after 10 hours with parking lights on.

Axel

Zenfist

I would imagine you could just switch to a US model cylinder, an I would imagine them being less than $100. Not hard to change, I've done it a few times on older bikes. Ours only has 3 positions, on, off and lock.

pae58

I would imagine you could just switch to a US model cylinder, an I would imagine them being less than $100. Not hard to change, I've done it a few times on older bikes. Ours only has 3 positions, on, off and lock.

Doesn't work so easy because of the immobilizer chip inside.

Axel

Fazerboy66

Guys don't forget you'll need to change the lock under the seat too?
unless you keep two keys: one for the US style barrel and another one for your seat?
This could get quite expensive?